Sporting Dog First Aid Kit

daddyfid

Sporting Dog First Aid Kit

Post by daddyfid » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:46 pm

I was looking to buy the Sporting Dog First Aid Kit for around $80.00 that many of the gun dog supply companies carry (cabelas, lcs, etc). I was curious if anyone has figured up how much these items would cost if you purchased them separately.

uglyleaper

Re: Sporting Dog First Aid Kit

Post by uglyleaper » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:10 pm

I'm not sure on the cost of all their items all together, just would I use all of the stuff in the bag. Some basic bandages and tape. a few topicals and a couple of circle needles an thread, and my kit ran me about $20 from the local feed and tack store and what I already had in the house. Also I never leave home without a few cans of pumpkin for the dogs. Saved a 7 day trip in MT, cleared up a upset stomach with blood in the stool. Still don't know what he got into but the pumpkin cleared him right up. Hope this helps.

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:17 pm

Pumpkin!! That's different. I've never heard of that. I take it from your post you were using it to alleviate issues with the dog??? That's really cool...

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:24 pm

Basic stuff in the trailer vet wrap, fish-Zole aka metronidazole, Benedryl ,hydrogen peroixde(big Bottle) duct tape, pepto bismal, Imodium, gerber baby rice cereal, Gauze, comb, to name a few things
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

balerseller

Post by balerseller » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:58 pm

Thank you for mentioning pumpkin. Ive been doing some research on it, and it seems that 100% canned pumpkin (Not the pie kind) is great for Diarrhea and Constipation. Funny how it works for both, generally I have read 1 teaspoon per 15 pounds of dog weight, untill cleared up. thanks again for the great tip.

uglyleaper

Post by uglyleaper » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:11 am

I'll tell you it saved my trip. I called the local vet because he was really bad. She told me to buy the pumpkin (not for pies) and feed a half can that night no kibble and half can the next morning with 1/4 cup kibble and continue his feeding of the pumpkin as needed. After having to put him up before noon on wed he hunted all day th without any more problems. I kept him on a half cup morning and half cup with food in the evening and had 0 problems the rest of the trip. He can have a sensitive stomach so I always carry a few cans with me, plus he loves it! After we got back I caleed and thanked the vet repeatedly for the advice.
I'm sure the look on my, and my groups faces when I was explaining to them what she said was almost as funny as the look I had after it worked.

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:21 am

I keep pumpkin at home, but metamusil for the road since pumpkin needs to be refridgerated after opening. I just put together two large kits (stuff for humans and horses too) and two small kits for about $75. Hint: maxi pads and baby diapers are easier to use, more absorbent, and more sanitary than gauze. Hint #2: for smaller kits, make sure that every item has at least two uses to save space. ie hydrogen peroxide vs betadine. HP will clean a wound AND induce vomitting.

Aline
http://zzfarms.com
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

reba

Post by reba » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:00 am

Hemostats are always clipped to my hunting vest and vet wrap in a pocket close by.

I also keep a bunch more first aid stuff in the truck.

I think "Prepared" first aid kits for humans or dogs are a waste of funds.

I am NOLS trained in first aid and can tell you that hydrogen peroxide should not be used on open wounds. Only flush with clean water. The hydrogen peroxide will kill tissue. Yea I know your Mother was wrong on this one:-)=

We have successfully sewn up dogs with dental floss and never visited the vet. You must know what you are doing of course (won't go into detail) and I believe if you are buying a first aid kit then you are not qualified.

Best wishes

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:57 am

balerseller wrote:Thank you for mentioning pumpkin. Ive been doing some research on it, and it seems that 100% canned pumpkin (Not the pie kind) is great for Diarrhea and Constipation. Funny how it works for both, generally I have read 1 teaspoon per 15 pounds of dog weight, untill cleared up. thanks again for the great tip.
Its amazing what fiber in the diet will do but we all try to feed as little as possible since we think a smaller stool is the sign of a good food. Animals need fiber including us if we are going to keep the digestive tract healthy. There are several good sources with pumpkin being one of them. Sure glad you got the word and it saved your trip.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

dmadis8

Post by dmadis8 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:32 pm

A friend of mine has a dog that had problems with his anal sacks and the vet told him to feed three table spoons with of pumpkin with each feeding and the dog hasnt had problems since. Pumpkin seems to fix many problems

JasonW77

Post by JasonW77 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:25 am

So if one was going to make there own first aid kit for the dog. How do you know what to use that is safe for a dog. I would think not all stuff we use is safe for them. Where do you find the medicines and stuff to make the kit. Till i read this post I never really thought of it. Is there a generic list out there of what is good to have has a starting point?

reba

medicines and stuff

Post by reba » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:56 am

Remember you are equipping for First Aid not a Field Hospital.

Cuts and abrasions can be repaired in the field. These items would apply to you or your dog: Vet Wrap, Betadine, Neosporin, EMT Spray and Gel.

Get EMT here: http://www.gundogsupply.com/emtgel.html

Hemostats, small scissors, large sewing needle and dental floss, gauze pads would round it off.

Rinse wounds with clean water only. The use of Betadine to clean up a real mess is OK.

The problem with dogs is hair starting to heal into the wound, so you will need to clip or shave the hair around the wound. Then and only then a cut can be dressed and healed.

Puncture wounds are bad news. They must heal from the inside out. Do not try and close them up.

Most cuts and abrasions come to the feet, legs and chest areas. These types of injuries can be fixed in the field.

A dogs feet should be checked at least twice a day, because even the smallest clump of dirt between the toes can cause a major problem.

Any possible oral medicines should come from your Vet.

One last thing: SUPER GLUE I use it on myself more than I do my dogs.