color of labs

newhunter1

color of labs

Post by newhunter1 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:53 pm

Now I know there are plenty of people on here who look down on labs but that is what fits my type of hunting. So i was talking to a few different people and have heard something I am not sure if its true or not so I'd like some opinions. Does the color of a lab make it a better hunter? I heard black labs are the best at hunting but not as good at being a house type dog. Yellow labs are much better in the house then in the field hunting and that Chocolate labs are a great mix of both. I have always prefered a choclate lab over the other two for purely looks. So is there any truth to this theory? Thanks for the info.

kerplunk105

Re: color of labs

Post by kerplunk105 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:19 pm

No, no, and no :)
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:35 pm

The only thing i've ever heard along those lines were that you had a harder time finding a chocolate lab that was a good hunter. I think the reason for the misconseption is that there were plenty of people breeding labs to get the chocolate color and not for ability/conformation. I would guess the people breeding labs for the right reason see no difference in the ability specifically based on color.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:13 pm

They all are the same dogs and can come from the same litter. Color is external but the things that make a dog is internal.

I don't think we have a lot of people on here that look down on a lab. Some have opinions as to what dog is best for certain activities and I think we all can agree the breeds are different but really difficult to say one is better than the other at all things.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:43 pm

I know that I don't look down on labs, just the rug of hair that they leave on my carpet everytime my friend brings his over to play with my britts.
If they would just learn how to weave those rugs, I would be happy to display them around the house. :lol:

reba

Post by reba » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:13 am

They must have soild color dark noses. Avoid anything else.

BAYDOG

Post by BAYDOG » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:35 pm

Black is the dominate color, so there will be more, as said above, one litter can have all three colors. I would avoid the "New" colors they are claiming. The silver, (some say there is a wiem in the woodpile), the reds or whites. They are getting real popular, and most are breeding now just to get these colors with no regard to anything else, kinda going the way or the Old Irish Setter's.
"Been owned by many a great dog, but Lady the AWS by far is the best"

GOD Bless,
Rob G.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:04 pm

Red is not new, actually the original yellow. White is just pale yellow, though I am less fond of it myself they are both actually considered yellow. Finding well bred, emotionally stable, healthy, driven but managble and highly trainable labs is what should be important. And you will find that this is much harder than it may seem at first with all the lab breeders out there. There are ALOT of health concerns to consider in this breed, so above all do your homework and look for parents with clearances.

Silver requires a dilution gene, and it's occurance is in question by many. I will hold my opinion of silver to myself beyond this.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:04 pm

I have never seen any one on here looking down on labs. :? There are more Black labs than any other color so it stands to reason that there would be more good hunting dogs in the numbers. All the rest you have heard is pure bunk. One thing that may stick is there is a smaller pool of choclates and many non hunter like them also so there are folks that breed them just to sell to those folks and do not worry about hunt. Any hunting dog person worth their salt looks for hunt, health and if you get your color great. of course this is all my opinion.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:01 pm

Here in the UK there are very few Chocolate Labs in the hunting field as they dont have enough working pedigree in them yet, they are mainly bred by the showing fraternity as they are worth alot more, the Blacks and Yellows are exactly the same although we are seeming to get more heavy boned dosile peg dogs around at the minute, i prefere the more finer boned athletic dogs, as they suit my hunting and have to cover alot of ground.
I am just starting to train my 5 month old black bitch, she is from Hard hunting pure working parents, Gamekeeper bred for hunting all fur and feather, also deer tracking.
So fingers crossed.

Dave.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:41 am

Color has nothing to do with behavior but the middle yellow color is about the exact color of a flooded corn field or millet field. Our lab does not hunt in a blind usually, she actually lays down on top of the pit ledge and marks her ducks . In a pile of brush my spouse whacks down and put there for her.