wigrouser

Post by wigrouser » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:48 am

Hi guys i'm new to the forum. I live in northern wisconsin and have been hunting grouse for years but never with a dog and have decided to get a dog in the near future and i'm looking for some help.

I only hunt grouse and woodcock so i want a dog that points. The biggest requirment i have is a dog that is on the smaller side, under 40lbs., and easy to train.
range and coat type don't really matter to me, all i really want is a dog that will point birds for me, retrieve is a plus but not necessary. So any help you guys can give would be great.
Last edited by wigrouser on Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M1Tanker

Re: newbie

Post by M1Tanker » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:46 am

Welcome.

There should be plenty of posts about finding a dog to fit your needs. I would recommend that you contact a few breeders of different dogs and hunt over them or go out with someone who would let you hunt with them over their dogs to narrow your search a bit.

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:29 am

Size-wise, a brittany would fit the bill. There are also plenty of pointers, setters, gsps, and vizslas under 40 lbs. (I have a 40lb weim, but most are larger than that)

Aline
http://zzfarms.com
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

wigrouser

Post by wigrouser » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:32 am

thanks m1 the three breeds that were on the top of my list is brittany, english setter, english pointer. my thinking is though that getting a english setter or english pointer under 40lbs my be hard to find. If anyone knows of any other breeds i should be looking at or suggestions on these breeds please chime in.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:27 am

How about the French Brittany they are a little smaller than the regular Brittany.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:42 pm

wigrouser wrote:the three breeds that were on the top of my list is brittany, english setter, english pointer. my thinking is though that getting a english setter or english pointer under 40lbs my be hard to find.
Getting a setter or pointer around 40lbs is not as difficult as you think.
wigrouser wrote:range and coat type don't really matter to me

Range does matters when hunting grouse. You may want to look into the grouse hunting championships and see what breeds and bloodlines are doing the best and go from there. The Elhew EP lines seem to do really well there but do some research, it will pay off.

Welcome to the forum

Ron
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:58 pm

I am becoming a big fan of French Brittneys. Every one I have worked seems to have loads of talent and is very trainable.
brenda

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:29 pm

I really like my EP's but from the list the original poster put up it sure looked like they were looking for a French Britt to me.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:22 am

wigrouser, My buddy has 2 french britt pups you can have for free. They are bred very well and I have personally hunting with there dam and she is a real fine little bird dog. He is located near Springfield, Mo. One is black and white and the other is liver and white. Let me know if you are interested.

Ron

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

north country guy

Post by north country guy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:05 am

Hey There Newbe > Where You At In Northern Wi ??? Iam In Webster Wi And Have A Brittany . I Hunt Grouse And Woodcock All Fall Long > I Plan On Getting Her Bred This Winter !!! You Have An Open Invite To Come Huntin Any Time To Watch Her Work Wild Birds !!! Or Let Me Know If You Want To Come And Watch Some Training Work On Pigeons ... The Mother And A Littermte Are Also Up Here Out Of Illinois For The Summer . :D

BAYDOG

Post by BAYDOG » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:24 am

I say be different, If I were to just hunt upland, and puddle ducks(not cold weather divers), I would really have to look into the Irish red and whites. Man they look like pure hunters.
"Been owned by many a great dog, but Lady the AWS by far is the best"

GOD Bless,
Rob G.

wigrouser

Post by wigrouser » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:51 am

Thanks for all the reply's guys i'm located right on the michigan wisconsin border by watersmeet.

I will definently look into the french brittany's as a breed, can anyone give me some advice at what breeders i should look at.

thanks again guys

wigrouser

Post by wigrouser » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:08 am

Ron R can you give me some more info on those two pups.

thanks

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:29 am

This man has nice dogs and great reputation. http://grousefeatherkennel.com/index.html

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:58 am

wigrouser wrote:Ron R can you give me some more info on those two pups.

thanks
pm sent

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:05 pm

French Britt will fit the bill. I have three two very good grouse dogs one is young but is learning them. She will probablly do well this fall with what I see in her.

Patoula Power kennels MOntana and GA most reasonable, great dogs two mine are from him
Les Carbot Kennels in Minn. expensive but great dogs.
Plum Creek kennels expensive, good dogs SD.

Mark Dinsmore on this froum has one of the best in the country and maybe Europe, he breeds on occasion and likes the size you want.

The one in the avatar. She just had a grouse when it flushed out the other side of the hemlock island. No shot. :( I also duck hunt with my dogs and have been to KA for pheasants and bobs. Also NSTRA and AKC and NAVHDA.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick