English Pointer lines??

hpvizslas

English Pointer lines??

Post by hpvizslas » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:09 pm

I have been thinking about adding an English pointer to my mix in the next couple of years and would appreciate input on the different lines or at least a direction to look. It is darn hard to find information by googling on the different lines that are out there. Would anybody mind sharing their personal opinion??

I am not looking for a dog that would only be worth hunting off of horseback or vehicle, I would like a dog that covers the ground but not so far out that it will take me 20 minutes to get to it. I do have the great blessing of living in an area that you can hunt for miles without having to cross a road, so that is why I am thinking a pointer may be the way to go. And would be a great addition to my closer working V's

Thanks
Jeff

MARKB

Re: English Pointer lines??

Post by MARKB » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:13 pm

Jeff,

I know your a Vizsla guy, that's how I started out too, had some very nice ones . I live in S.E. Nebraska

But when CRP came into the mix I wanted a dog that could cover a little more ground and stay in the same county.

So I've had several Elhew bred pointers and I love them. They have a great dispositions, although they're not quit as needy as a Vizsla, they do like attention.
There's so much natural instict in them and that's what I love the most, they start early and they progress fast.

Now I still have several friends that have Vizsla's and it is a nice combination when we hunt together and we hunt at least two times a week and we shoot our fair shair of pheasants and quail.

My pointer lines are Elhew Strike,Kiwi,Snakefoot,Jefferson,Damascus,and the outcrosses in the pedigree are Dunns Fearless Bud and Deep Creek Kate.

Hope this helps, I say go for it !!!

P.S. there's some very nicely bred Elhew pointers in the S.E. part of the state. I think the quail populations helps a lot in that regard.

P.M. me if you want specifics on the Kennel they came from.

PkerStr8Tail

Post by PkerStr8Tail » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:54 pm

When you ask for opinions on lines in any breed to a genral audience, I think you are likely to get a popularity contest in answers. I won't mention dogs that I wouldn't use because I don't want to offend anyone, but I will tell you what I think a nice cross could be. I would look for a female out of Shadow's Attitude. He throws a ton of style and class into the line. To that female, I would breed one of the many shooting dog champions out there. There are many so that leaves it open somewhat. Like I said I will not pick one or two dogs as a sire, just look around and find out which ones are producing.

One of the areas I might ruffle feathers with my opinion is that you should look for sires and dams that are proven in the field. I see many breedings where the breeder quotes how great the grandparents or great grandparents are in the pedigree, but there is no proof if those traits were passed on to the dogs used in the actual breeding. I know I will probably get the argument that not all good dogs are competed, but the answer is laws of probability. Even if you put the best dogs together, it doesn't ensure greatness. However, the probablity of getting a nice pup are more in your favor if you breed dogs that have proven that are carrying on the traits of their ancestors. Of course there are always outliers, but what do you want to put your money on? Luck or probability? Ok there, I am off my soapbox.
Last edited by PkerStr8Tail on Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:52 pm

I am crossing up these two lines and will have pups in a few weeks. Not trying to sell you just giving you an idea of what I am doing. I own both the male and the female and just hunt wild blue quail and pheasant I don't trial. Both parents are excellent wild bird dogs and the male Elhew is a bit closer working dog at 2-300 yards and the female I keep reined in at about 3-400 yards but she will run over the horizon if I let her. I think crossing them will make for some nice pups.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:43 am

Contact Joe Don House or Gary Lester, get one of their young dogs that they do not think will make it as a field trial dog.

You could get a great dog, cheap,

Neil

GottoHunt

Post by GottoHunt » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:56 am

I think you will love the dog no matter which line you go with. My pointer is from the Crookrise lines from England, and through the past nine years he has been a pure joy. very smart, sometimes to smart, he truly is a great dog to me. I am know field trialer, I just hunt, grouse and pheasants, and on occasion I hunt the preserves for a little tune up. I know a lot of people will say you got to get a field trial dog, but I did not listen, I wanted a dog that was balls to the wall in the field, and still was not to hyper where I could enjoy him in the house. I started my pointer on birds at 12 weeks, we started on quail, it did not take him long to figure out what it was all about. At sixteen weeks we went on our first hunt for wild grouse, we where getting close to the bottom of the grouse cycle, so I did not expect much from my pup. The first day he pointed 15 birds, I was shocked, this little puppy was like a seasoned pro. Through the years we shared a lot of field time and Jake excelled no matter what the quarry. He adjusts his range to the cover we hunt and is just a joy to work with. His only downfall is retrieving, I guess I could have force broke him, but I did not want to take anything away from him. He will mark dead birds, its just that I am the one who fetches them, and for nine years it has worked out fine. Would Jake win at the field trials, probably not, will he hunt, oh for sure. Take a look at the Crookrise line, there not for everyone, but it has worked great for me.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:25 pm

Good choice.There are some good breeders out there.Phillip's White Line kennels has some good Miller bred dogs.Some Elhew lines are good,but If you're looking for Elhew lines in the State of Mo.PM me and I'll tell you a kennel to stay away from,with e-mails to prove why.Pinehill Kennels in Tenn.has some real nice Elhew line dogs.
Dog On Point!!

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:34 pm

Here are a few kennels that I would look at for Pointers...like others have said, ask see some of the pups that did not "cut it" on their trial string. Nine times out of ten those dogs will fit our needs. I personally like Miller and Honky Tonk lines

http://www.daviskennels.info/ - Colvin Davis
Phillips White Line Kennels - Nathan's site is being updated - 812-499-0418
http://www.erinkennels.com/ Sean Derrig
http://www.wildcoveykennel.com/index.php Tony King
http://www.dalecreekgundogs.com/index.html Tom Waite
Gary Lester
Rick Stallings

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:02 pm

Thanks everyone,

I do appreciate the input and this gives me some ideas of where to look. I am probably a year or two out before I get a pointer pup but want to have some idea of what dogs/lines to look at. I am not going to abandon the Vizsla or WHV, just want to try something new. I have always heard that the pointers are the Cadillacs of bird dogs.

This thread will give me a good idea of what to look at, the only thing that I know for sure is that I want an Orange and white pointer that will hunt hard and go the distance but not be so far out that I can't keep up. Field trialing would be fun, if I can figure out how to not fall off of the horse. The ground looks pretty hard.

Jeff

Chasin' Mearns

Post by Chasin' Mearns » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:18 pm

PkerStr8Tail wrote:When you ask for opinions on lines in any breed to a genral audience, I think you are likely to get a popularity contest in answers. I won't mention dogs that I wouldn't use because I don't want to offend anyone, but I will tell you what I think a nice cross could be. I would look for a female out of Shadow's Attitude. He throws a ton of style and class into the line. To that female, I would breed one of the many shooting dog champions out there. There are many so that leaves it open somewhat. Like I said I will not pick one or two dogs as a sire, just look around and find out which ones are producing.

One of the areas I might ruffle feathers with my opinion is that you should look for sires and dams that are proven in the field. I see many breedings where the breeder quotes how great the grandparents or great grandparents are in the pedigree, but there is no proof if those traits were passed on to the dogs used in the actual breeding. I know I will probably get the argument that not all good dogs are competed, but the answer is laws of probablity. Even if you put the best dogs together, it doesn't ensure greatness. However, the probablity of getting a nice pup are more in your favor if you breed dogs that have proven that are carrying on the traits of their ancestors. Of course there are always outliers, but what do you want to put your money on? Luck or probablity? Ok there, I am off my soapbox.
Can I use your soapbox and agree?

My pup Patch is Caladen's All Business and she next to her GrandSire Shadow's Attitude aka Cash.........

CM

cgbirddogs

Post by cgbirddogs » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:56 pm

Lucky for you that you are in the midwest. You should be able to go see several litters, from several different bloodlines within a reasonable drive from where you live.
Also, there are a number of field trials in the midwest you can attend to see the sires of some of the litters, if you choose to buy from championship sired litters.
Since you already own bird dogs, you probably know what you like in a dog. I'd suggest going to see a few trials, or see if you can't go hunt over or with the sire or dam of a litter you are intested in, be that blood Elhew, Fiddler, Miller, Guard Rail or whatever. That should help you in our decision making process. Good luck!

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:09 am

All the previous bloodines mentioned are great but I would like to add to that. For foot hunting, I have found that the Crow's Little Joe line and Addition's Go Boy line are hard to beat. JMO.

Ron
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

Chasin' Mearns

Post by Chasin' Mearns » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:38 am

Ron R wrote:All the previous bloodines mentioned are great but I would like to add to that. For foot hunting, I have found that the Crow's Little Joe line and Addition's Go Boy line are hard to beat. JMO.

Ron
Could not agree more. The Dam of my Patch pup in the pic above is a daughter of Go Boy.

I have seen a couple of Go Boy and Miller crosses as of late that were very - very nice.

Most convey that there is a lot of "biddability" from the dogs he has produced.

CM

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:27 pm

Chasin' Mearns wrote:I have seen a couple of Go Boy and Miller crosses as of late that were very - very nice.
Now that's kinda funny. I've just bred my favorite Miller female to a Go Boy stud and I do mean stud. Both of these dogs perform at a very high level.

Ron

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

Chasin' Mearns

Post by Chasin' Mearns » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:32 pm

Ron R wrote:
Chasin' Mearns wrote:I have seen a couple of Go Boy and Miller crosses as of late that were very - very nice.
Now that's kinda funny. I've just bred my favorite Miller female to a Go Boy stud and I do mean stud. Both of these dogs perform at a very high level.

Ron
Post pics of the Sire and Dam.

CM

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:06 pm

Chasin' Mearns wrote:
Ron R wrote:

Ron
Post pics of the Sire and Dam.

CM
I don't know how :oops: I'm not trying to sell pups here but if you pm me your email address I'll send them.

Ron

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:34 pm

I love pics of pointers Ron I would kinda like to see some pics as well. :)

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:21 am

Chasin' Mearns wrote:Could not agree more. The Dam of my Patch pup in the pic above is a daughter of Go Boy.

I have seen a couple of Go Boy and Miller crosses as of late that were very - very nice.

CM
CM, do you have a pup from Ross?

I've seen quite a few of the pups at Caladen and I really like them. LOL In fact I kidded with Ross and asked if he had a pup that I could "borrow" while mine were gone from home.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:41 pm

i like the ninnescah line out of doc steckly everything he has in winning right now heres a pic of the 2 year old ep that is out of his 2 best dogs
jay1111111111.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kick'em up knock'em down

GWN

Post by GWN » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:55 pm

I went down to see Ross Callaway in SC to buy my first two EP this spring. I have a number of GSP's field trial and others. These EP are the nicest dogs a guy could own. Good noses and really cover the ground nice. They both swim like crazy they love to retreive. Nice dogs to be around cause they like people. They have real nice twelve O'clock crackin tails. Awesome style on point very biddable and good range.

I guess for what it's worth from me they are really nice dogs.For a guy who wants a nice stylish dog to hunt or compete with seems to me these guys would fit the bill very nicely.One is a female out of his Sarah dog and is her spitting image. The other is a pup out of Gent.

I'm sure there are lots of nice dogs out there, I'm glad I went to see Ross.

brdhntr

Post by brdhntr » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:23 pm

Ron R wrote:All the previous bloodines mentioned are great but I would like to add to that. For foot hunting, I have found that the Crow's Little Joe line and Addition's Go Boy line are hard to beat. JMO.

Ron
I really have to agree on the Additions go boy line. I got two great foot hunters out of this line, I was nervous about getting big runners, but have had great luck keeping them reeled in.

jakemaster

Post by jakemaster » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:01 pm

CherrystoneWeims wrote:
Chasin' Mearns wrote:Could not agree more. The Dam of my Patch pup in the pic above is a daughter of Go Boy.

CM

I've seen quite a few of the pups at Caladen and I really like them. LOL In fact I kidded with Ross and asked if he had a pup that I could "borrow" while mine were gone from home.
Pam you saw his dog place at the field trial held at the plantation last year. Thats the same Patchy that Jeff ran.

Gwn glad to hear you still love the dogs . Please either post some pics or send us a few. Scott

Chasin' Mearns

Post by Chasin' Mearns » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:31 pm

jakemaster wrote:
CherrystoneWeims wrote:

CM

Pam you saw his dog place at the field trial held at the plantation last year. Thats the same Patchy that Jeff ran.
Scott
Scott - You should have said: "Nearly Famous Patchy"

Pam - Here is a pic of her and Jeff from the trial held at Echo Plantation. I have hunted and trialed her from the horse and foot. She just gets it on range and handle based upon the situation and the biddability we are talking about here. We are thinking about taking her back to "Jack" in time.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:25 pm

Ahh I remember Patchy!!

LOL Ross and I were talking last week about pointers. I actually was asking if he might have one for me. Oh My what am I thinking!!!! :0
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners

Chasin' Mearns

Post by Chasin' Mearns » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:31 pm

CherrystoneWeims wrote:Ahh I remember Patchy!!

LOL Ross and I were talking last week about pointers. I actually was asking if he might have one for me. Oh My what am I thinking!!!! :0
You can have a pair of token EPs and still be loyal to the grey ghost.

Tell your friend in SC that you want to come over to the "Dark Side" and that I said you deserve a 50% disount as a first time buyer. I know he has some special litters planned...........

CM

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:42 pm

Chasin' Mearns wrote:
CherrystoneWeims wrote:Ahh I remember Patchy!!

You can have a pair of token EPs and still be loyal to the grey ghost.

Tell your friend in SC that you want to come over to the "Dark Side" and that I said you deserve a 50% disount as a first time buyer. I know he has some special litters planned...........

CM
I can just imagine what folks would say when I show up at field trials with a couple of token EP's on my chaingang. I've already been accused of having "pointer-crosses" for Weims!

If we can get one of these pups AKC registered then I might consider it! I just love the temperaments and versatility of Ross's dogs.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners

jakemaster

Post by jakemaster » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:58 pm

CherrystoneWeims wrote:
If we can get one of these pups AKC registered then I might consider it! I just love the temperaments and versatility of Ross's dogs.
AKC registered is easy! So consider it! :D

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:24 pm

jakemaster wrote:
CherrystoneWeims wrote:
AKC registered is easy! So consider it! :D
Heh Heh Ross and I talked about the possibility today........
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:24 pm

Pam, maybe you could go to a Yellow GSP as an intermediate step :D :lol:

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:56 pm

ymepointer wrote:Pam, maybe you could go to a Yellow GSP as an intermediate step :D :lol:
LOL Nah I am seriously looking at a pointer. But I catch your drift.........
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:12 am

The kennel that I refered to in my earlier post(no name given in the post) is now in the process of retectifying the problem I have with a pup from them.I'm sure the owner is a man of his word.
Dog On Point!!