Vizsla blood line

56-26

Vizsla blood line

Post by 56-26 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:45 am

I'm still looking for a new pup, what are some blood lines that are good in the Vizsla?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Re: Vizsla blood line

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:53 am

There is a litter by a NFC in the Dogs For Sale forum right now. I've seen the sire quite a bit and hear that he throws a very consistent pup.

http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/viewto ... 58&t=19722

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:10 pm

Greg,

That would probably have been a great pup but from what I understand the breeding did not take.

56-26

What are you looking for in your vizsla?? Are you wanting a field trial dog or something else? I may be able to point you in a couple of different directions, depending on what you are wanting to do with the dog. The one thing that I believe you must watch for right now in the Vizsla breed is that some of the hunt is being bred out of the dog. Many in the vizsla breed are wanting to see the dog do multiple things and that is leading to dogs that are losing some of what they should have. We really enjoy the V's but we are looking at a WHV to see how they are for our next pup. I am hoping that I will find the type of hard hunting dog that I want. Would be glad to help if you need it. Good Luck

Jeff

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:16 pm

Bummer on the breeding not taking.

A tack to take there would be to call Denny and Linda and find out what other litters Zack has coming up.

Greg J.

56-26

Post by 56-26 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:21 pm

Jeff, I'm looking for a house dog/ hunting dog. I'm just trying to figure out what I'm looking for. My Vizsla I have now I didn't pay alot for and I'm happy with him all away around, Now that I'm getting second I think about spending a more on one. I'm not planning on doing hunt test or anything like that. I guess I'm just trying to figure out if spending more money is worth it on a pup. Thanks

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:45 pm

"Hunting Dog" is, IMHO, the highest calling to which our dogs can aspire. Just wish I had the opportunities I had when I was a kid.

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:59 pm

I can tell you from personal experience that not paying much can cost you more in the long run with health problems.

I don't know what you think is a little or a lot for a vizsla but I would imagine that you would need to look in the ballpark of $650+ for a Vizsla from a decent breeder. When are you looking at getting the new pup?

Jeff

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:30 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:"Hunting Dog" is, IMHO, the highest calling to which our dogs can aspire. Just wish I had the opportunities I had when I was a kid.

Hey someone has gotten the message. Could not agree more.
hpvizslas wrote:I can tell you from personal experience that not paying much can cost you more in the long run with health problems.

I don't know what you think is a little or a lot for a vizsla but I would imagine that you would need to look in the ballpark of $650+ for a Vizsla from a decent breeder. When are you looking at getting the new pup?
But this is painting with too broad a brush. What you pay has nothing to do with health problems as they can showup at any time in anybodies breeding. I understand what you are trying to say but there are many many healthy and quality pups bred by your neighbor in the backyard because he wants a pup and therest are sold very reasonable.

Just do your home work and find dogs that fill your wants and wishes and buy from those lines.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:41 pm

Ezzy,

I understand what you mean by a broad brush and I was a little broad on that.

What I should have said is go with a breeder that does do health checks on thier dogs. I got a dog from a backyard breeder that did little with thier dogs. Didn't know what to look for myself at that point and I wound up witha great hunting dog with instincts and the whits to train me properly. The problem is this dog has real bad inhaled allergies, not a good thing for a hunting dog. While the backyard breeder can breed great dogs, someone who does the research to what health problems may be in the breedings that they are looking at will give the new owner a better chance to get a dog that will cost less in the long run.

Of course, you could always run into a fanatical breeder who is kennel blind and does not see anything wrong in thier own breedings and that could cost you in the long run too. Been there done that, won't do it again. Love the dog, she is great. Can't say the same about the breeder.

Bottom line is do some checking yourself, ask people thier opinions and then make your own choice of what works best for you.

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:55 pm

56-26 not sure where you are located but Bob Hodges with Heartland Vizslas has put some really nice litters on the ground. Even if he doesn't have any pups currently he is a great person to talk to about Vizslas.

www.heartlandvizslas.com
Doyle

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:40 pm

There are plenty of good lines out there to choose from. The list changes depending on what you want.
I know of a couple of breedings that should produce some really nice hunting dogs and/or field trial dogs. Let me know if you want their contact information.

Also - price is not always indicative of quality, and that door swings both ways. I've seen some very overpriced litters out there.

Ask plenty of questions, do your homework, seek opinions, and if a breeder just doesn't 'feel' right to you, go elsewhere.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:41 pm

For good hunting blood lines I would look at (in no particular order) Linden (Dennis and Linda Keeton), Remek (Skip & Laurie Wonnell), Semper Fi (Al & Terry Lucas), OnPoint (John Reid), Barben (Ben & Barbara Zahn). These are all lines that have shown the capability to produce dual champions. I know that you are looking for a hunting dog and may not care about the DC but if you contact one of those lines and explain that you just want a pet, they may be able to get you a good dog that doesn't match up to enough to win in the show ring but would be a great pet and field dog.

There are other lines out. Rebel Rouser (Hank Rozanek) is in a lot of the lines that you will see. RR is a good line for hunting dogs, just have to watch people that lean on the RR line and are not Rozanek himself.

These will give you some lines to look at. You can always find others and there may be some dogs on the ground now but I have not checked lately.

Jeff

V-John

Post by V-John » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:25 am

Contact Mike Lundy or Dustin Ochs.

Both are great guys, out of the three dogs I have, two are sired by Mikes dogs. All three are out of Dustin's bitches. All have been great dogs, have won a little bit in the field trials.

Mike and Dustin have been great to me, and a great source of information.
Both are heavily involved in the trial circuit, you can't go wrong with their dogs.

Another guy you could contact is Rob Tomczak. Great guy as well.

PM me if you want their contact information.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:17 am

Mike is a great guy, we bred our Buffy to Tommy Boy a few years ago and are very happy with what we got.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

V-John

Post by V-John » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:29 am

phermes1 wrote:Mike is a great guy, we bred our Buffy to Tommy Boy a few years ago and are very happy with what we got.
I have a Tommy Boy dog and a dog out of Diamond... And have been more then pleased.

daddyfid

Post by daddyfid » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:37 am

Mike Lundy and Dustin Ochs are both great individuals and know a ton about the breed and know how to breed for great dogs.

I personally have bought 2 pups from Mike and Darlene Lundy over the last few years. Could not be happier with both pups. Spoke with Mike last weekend and he has a litter on the ground.

http://www.lundysvizslas.com/

V-John

Post by V-John » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:46 am

daddyfid wrote:Mike Lundy and Dustin Ochs are both great individuals and know a ton about the breed and know how to breed for great dogs.

I personally have bought 2 pups from Mike and Darlene Lundy over the last few years. Could not be happier with both pups. Spoke with Mike last weekend and he has a litter on the ground.

Really? Who is the litter out of, and by? That's interesting, though I haven't talked to Mike in a while..

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:29 pm

Another to contact with good lines are Jim and Linda Busch. http://www.buschvizslas.com

Carla

V-John

Post by V-John » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:00 am

daddyfid wrote:Mike Lundy and Dustin Ochs are both great individuals and know a ton about the breed and know how to breed for great dogs.

This litter that he speaks of is going to be a helluva litter. Got off the phone with Lundy yesterday, and if I could take a pup right now I would.

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:59 am

And on the other hand, Show Me Vizsla rescue has a real nice 1 yo male (Rory) that is ready for JH. He is in Deepwater MO at a members house that also trains dogs.
PM if you want the details.
Carla
Last edited by 1vizsla on Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

56-26

Post by 56-26 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:03 am

Thanks for all the info. I'm trying to find one somewhat close to me in the IA, IL, MO area. I don't think that I'm going to get into a rush to buy one, but if I find the right one I'm ready.

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:28 am

56-26 Bob Hodges is in Colona, IL. Great guy and know the bloodlines. Just stating this again because you said Ia or Il and he is right there.
Doyle