Exercise

JasonM

Exercise

Post by JasonM » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:31 am

Hi all, I have a 6mo old GSP and I have a ? about exercise. With the ever shortening daylight hours Ive been having trouble getting him out for exercise. He stays in a 8x12' elevated kennel all day. last night I took him for a walk of about 2 miles, but it wasnt a place where he could be off the cc. and get a real run in. Any suggestions on what to do and does anyone else have this problem. I work a 9-5 job.

Thanks.
Jason

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:34 pm

This is sort of the high end, but wanted to mention it...

o Go to a yard sale and buy a treadmill that has side rails that you can cut.

o Cut them and lengthen to 6-7' and make new treadmill surface out of tough outdoor-type carpet.

o Build sides so that the dog can't get off the surface. Put a brace over the top.

o Run dog at 12-15 mph at full incline 2 to 3 days per week.

Regards,

MNGSP

Post by MNGSP » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:01 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:This is sort of the high end, but wanted to mention it...
Isn't that a bit fast? My treadmill only goes up to 10MPH and I can barely keep up with it, and I run on it 4-5days a week.

Would a slower speed, over a longer period help with endurance?

Just wondering cause' I've been eyeing the treadmill up for exercising the dog myself.

:wink:

Jon

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:18 pm

they will pull chain at 15 to 20 mph, so i would think, as long as they are stable on the treadmill, that 12-15 would be a breeze. would work them up to it though, just so they are comfortable on the machine and do not get thrown off.

never tried it myself.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:28 pm

Depending on the dog, my ADULT dogs can run 20- 30mph - guaged from the speedometer on the 4-wheeler. The lab and big running gsp's run close to 30 at a full run. Most of them can run 22-25 for a good stretch say 3-5 miles (with short swim breaks intermixed) . This is just running, not uphill, and not weight pulling. Uphill they usually slow to 12-20 depending on the dog.

My 6 month old gsp will run all day at her own stop and go pace, but when running fast with the other dogs, she burns out quickly, so I don't run so fast when she's with them maybe 8-10mph, and we don't go far.

Also, I like to take them on good brisk walkes in the dark. I wear a head lamp so both hands are free. I have (in my limited experience!!) found that time out at night helps them use their nose more than their eyes. I wear down my young dog with retieving at nigh when my days are too busy for daytime work. I play retrieve ALOT at night and try to trick them so they really have to search that dummy down with a lot of sniffing. Course if they don'y find it, I may be in trouble with my weak human nose and eyes, I have lost a few.

Jon

Post by Jon » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:52 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:This is sort of the high end, but wanted to mention it...
o Go to a yard sale and buy a treadmill that has side rails that you can cut.
o Cut them and lengthen to 6-7' and make new treadmill surface out of tough outdoor-type carpet.
o Build sides so that the dog can't get off the surface. Put a brace over the top.
Regards,
I picked up a used treadmill people put out with the garbage and it works great. I just need to build some sides, etc.

Have any pictures of your set up Greg ?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:11 pm

It is my opinion you don't want the dog running on a treadmill. A good trot is fast enough to give them the exercise they need and still remain in control. You can run them outside but not in the small space of a treadmill without the danger of getting them hurt. And running isn't better exercise if you are just trying to build stamina.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:11 am

Ok thanks. Yes he does wear out after running at wide open for a moderate time. Im not really trying to build stamina at this point, just give him the exercise he needs to be healthy. I do manage to get him on 3-4mile hikes/walks minimum once per week, sometimes 2 to 3. He does REALLY well on these, mainly at his own pace and they last about an hour, he is sometimes pooped when we get home, sometimes.

when he does mature and reach his full grown size, how do I build stamina for him to run all day as mentioned above?

Thanks.

I'll try the night walks too.
Jason

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:56 am

Jason,

Don't worry about giving a six mo old pup a lot of exercise. Moderate is ok but I don't like to see the hips worked too hard on a big puppy.

The stamina you are talking about when the pup is older may take more intensive exercise but that is a couple of years away yet. And by that time the pup will probably last as long as you do. Field trialing with hour heats or longer is where the stamina is tested and the dog needs extended exercise to perform well for that long. But remember that is an hour running full out most of the time and the handlers are on horseback. That's considerably different than the two of you walking.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:07 am

OMG, I missed that the pup is 6 months old!

No roading or heavy conditioning for a 6 month old or a long time afterward!

If you have to have controlled exercise in order to keep your sanity and marriage intact (hey, I got a nuclear-powered GSP pup myself), you might try putting pup on a roading harness and letting up pull you around a bit on your walks. Mine pup loves pulling.

Best,

Jon

Post by Jon » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:00 am

Treadmills have variable speeds and if set to fast walking vs. pulling a load; there would be less stress on the hips / joints.

I picture a modified treadmill, dog with roading harness being almost supported by overhead brace in center. Then walking at a fast pace with slow fan blowing on the dog. Just make sure to check the dog’s pads.

Should work great for those days you just don’t have time for a 1 hr. trip to the off lead area. ( Not everyone lives in the country. )

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:40 am

just be aware that the problem with many of these alternative exercise methods is the boredom factor. dogs do not like sitting and running in place for an extended period anymore than humans, so they will sometimes just quit on you.