Hog hunting dog breeds

TEX-X

Hog hunting dog breeds

Post by TEX-X » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:31 pm

seeing that this is a gun dog forum and not just a bird dog forum i wanted to get some opinions on dog breeds for hunting hogs. tracking and catch dogs. I have looked at a few Black mouth Curs, ridgebacks, pits, and catathoulas. Anyone have any suggestion or any experience with it?

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Re: Hog hunting dog breeds

Post by lvrgsp » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:41 am

If your Hawg hunting...my opinion would be a Cur dog....either Black Mouth or Mountain.....
If your in Texas I would look these guys up.....
http://www.yellowblackmouth.com/index.htm
Chip

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:11 am

You need to get out and see some dogs, most people will not see much differnce between a cat, bmc, or mt cur. Are you wanting a cold nosed dog? Or hot? Guys wanting a cold nosed dog are having good luck with hounds, usually plotts, not my cup of tea but they work for some. Catch dogs? A good one is where you find it, but pitts work as well or better than many, american bulldogs, and dogos are also popular. I prefer Abs, but to each his own.
I have hunted with Blue Lacys, Mt Curs, a Mt Curs x catahoula cross, BMC, jagd terriers, and a plott x cur. All were functional bay dogs.

Check out texasboars.com and baydog.com.

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:57 am

lot of people bay with curs, walkers other hounds and then send in the catch dog....I think most people use pits for their catch most of the ones i know thats what they use...some use Catahoula, american bulldogs and other breeds like.

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:45 am

You should check out
http://www.boartuffoutdoors.com/
SandJKennels has an ad in the classifieds section and they are in Texas.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:10 pm

I hunted with hounds for many years, walkers, plotts and even redbones. We used pits for catch dogs. Now we have DD's that we use on hogs occasionally and one friend also has the little jagds that he hunts with his DD's. They are firey little dogs and if I lived in an area that had tons of hogs I would have a few of them.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:01 am

right now i live in Washington state but will be moving back to TX as soon as the military lets me go...i'm haven't ever hunted hounds with dogs....we've always just used a spotlight... but i really enjoy training my bird dog so i thought i would get into it.... i was leaning towards a a BMC or a mountain cur...is there any noticeable difference between the two? and possibly a pit or two as catch dogs... we use to have a pit BMC cross that we used as a hold dog for cattle...he'd grab them by the ear and we'd walk up and give them a shot or whatever...he was a big guy 100 pounds or so... and built like a brick sh*thouse... i haven't heard of much hog hunting up here in WA but i know that the population has exploded down south. can anyone point me in the direction of some books or a forum that could get me started on training techniques?

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:03 am

Georgia Boy wrote:I hunted with hounds for many years, walkers, plotts and even redbones. We used pits for catch dogs. Now we have DD's that we use on hogs occasionally and one friend also has the little jagds that he hunts with his DD's. They are firey little dogs and if I lived in an area that had tons of hogs I would have a few of them.
DDs what do you mean by DDs?

and could you tell me the difference between a cold nose and a hot nose? i take it that the cold nose are dogs that'll find a cold trail and track them until they find a hog.... and a hot nose being a dog that will pass up older trails for a fresher one. am i even in the ball park?

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:29 pm

You have the idea on hot and cold noses. He means Drathaar when he says DD. You should check out the forum at Texasboars.com also check out baydog.com

birddogsunlimited

Post by birddogsunlimited » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:35 pm

Ive seen dogos used for hogs before
rossi ann. gsp
mavrick gsp
willow gsp
Charlie yellow lab
kimber yellow lab
barrett yellow lab
mikey choc. lab r.i.p buddy

Sir Buckwheat

Post by Sir Buckwheat » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:28 am

TEX-X wrote:
Georgia Boy wrote:I hunted with hounds for many years, walkers, plotts and even redbones. We used pits for catch dogs. Now we have DD's that we use on hogs occasionally and one friend also has the little jagds that he hunts with his DD's. They are firey little dogs and if I lived in an area that had tons of hogs I would have a few of them.
DDs what do you mean by DDs?

and could you tell me the difference between a cold nose and a hot nose? i take it that the cold nose are dogs that'll find a cold trail and track them until they find a hog.... and a hot nose being a dog that will pass up older trails for a fresher one. am i even in the ball park?
Cold nose dogs have better noses. I used to have a redbone that could run a 2-3 day old track and catch the cat. Warm nose dogs have to have a fresh or "hot" track. They don't do well running a cold track.

I've heard that a lot of guys like to run cur/hound crosses. I know walkers are a popular hound to use for the cross. They are a good hot nosed dog. The cross is said to give the dogs more bottom, as well as improve their noses. Blackmouth curs and catahoulas work well though. I have a friend here in Utah that uses BMC's for coon and bobcat as well as the occasional lion.

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:17 am

yeah we take a few bobcats in W. texas so a dog that could trail one would definately be a plus as well as hogs. when you get those old toms that will sit just on the outskirts of the spotlight for hours at a time it would be nice to have a few dogs to send to corner him

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:45 pm

Highcntry hasn't posted on here for quite a while but he uses his Airdales for hog hunting and in fact sells them at times for that purpose.

Aline (zzweims) has also used her Weims for hog hunting.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:17 pm

weims for hog hunting? i haven't heard that. but hey what a weim can do a shorthair can do better :lol: i'm just kidding. just wanted to ruffle your feathers... I'm going to look into the airdales...thank you for the tip

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:32 pm

Charlie Rose hunts hogs with his shorthairs.

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:49 pm

who is charlie rose? the journalist?

Sir Buckwheat

Post by Sir Buckwheat » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:17 pm

TEX-X wrote:who is charlie rose? the journalist?
No he's a flower shop owner that also runs some really nice GSP's... :wink: :D

I don't think he hunts hogs with his GSP's anymore, but I know he used to and had a couple of dogs that were really good hog dogs as well as bird dogs.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:20 pm

Here is a link with some pictures of Don hunting hogs with his dogs.

http://www.webshots.com/search?query=Hi ... 2C+Hunting

His website and contact info.
http://www.huntingairedales.com/huntingcompanions.htm
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:31 pm

TEX-X wrote:weims for hog hunting? i haven't heard that. but hey what a weim can do a shorthair can do better :lol: i'm just kidding. just wanted to ruffle your feathers... I'm going to look into the airdales...thank you for the tip
Weims have been used for many years in Europe for hunting boar....

This picture is from the Czech Republic. The dog on the left is American bred.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners