Quail hunting question

GSP 4 me

Quail hunting question

Post by GSP 4 me » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:09 pm

During my recent Dove hunt earlier this month, I came across an area with a very large covey of quail. I'm guessing there must have been at least 30 to 40 birds. I would like to go back to this area once quail season is open in Oct. maybe with or without my GSP.

I noticed that a large number of birds initially flushed out from some thick shrubs, but then there were plenty of pairs and triples that continued to come out from the same area. My question concerns how a pointing bird dog is supposed to handle this type of situation. Is the dog supposed to hold until you give them a release command? My GSP would be gone after the first shot and then I would have to hold back from shooting any doubles/triples that would continue to fly out if they were in the vicinity of the dog.

Sorry for the newbie question, but I've hunted quail without a dog in the past. My GSP has only hunted with me for Chukar, Pheasant, and Dove so he's never experienced a quail covey departure.

thanks!

hpvizslas

Re: Quail hunting question

Post by hpvizslas » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:33 pm

GSP,

What the dog will do depends on how you have him trained. We have come across quite a few big coveys of quail so far this year too. Which leads me to a question that I will post on another thread.

The dog may break after the shot, if you have him trained that way. This may lead him to busting a few more birds, which will help him to learn to stand on his own, if the bird scent is still strong. Some dogs will stay solid on thier own, if the scent of the birds are strong. It is fun to watch the dogs learn on the job.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:41 pm

Train your dog to not go until you release him. That's also the safest thing for your dog and will protect him even more from being shot.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

bpenn1980

Post by bpenn1980 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:16 pm

Good question and one that is applicable to me also. My hunting area holds wild CA quail and the bulk of the covey rarely lets you get closer than 30-40 yards, but there's singles and doubles that will hole up and let you walk within inches before they bust. It will be interesting watching my pup learn how to handle it this year. My initial plan is to let her learn how to do it best on her own, but if she gets too wild on the flush I'll be teaching her whoa and demand steady to wing for next season.

bossman

Post by bossman » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:58 pm

Personally, I'm not really interested in shooting doubles and triples, so my dog's are steady to wing. The bobwhite's I hunt will run if it's not a "dead" kill. I want my dog on the bird before he can get away or get in a hole. If I'm shooting the bird, I think I have the reponsibility to collect the downed bird first. I can always go back and work the single's if I want too. That would depend on the size of the covey and time of year. Will only attempt a double if I feel I'm in excellent position in relation to the initial covey raise. Not saying that needs to be everyone's attitude, but it's mine. For me...it's the experience with the dog...not the number of birds.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:02 pm

bossman wrote:Personally, I'm not really interested in shooting doubles and triples, so my dog's are steady to wing.
I've seen dogs get shot in the back of the head when they were not steady to shot.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:10 pm

CherrystoneWeims wrote:
bossman wrote:Personally, I'm not really interested in shooting doubles and triples, so my dog's are steady to wing.
I've seen dogs get shot in the back of the head when they were not steady to shot.
Fotunately, I have never seen that happen and I will do my best to never hunt with anybody that irresponsible.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

bossman

Post by bossman » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:16 pm

Been hunting for 35 years with people of same attitude. Like Charlie, have never seen it happen. I am also particular with who I hunt with.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:18 pm

bossman wrote:Personally, I'm not really interested in shooting doubles and triples, so my dog's are steady to wing. The bobwhite's I hunt will run if it's not a "dead" kill. I want my dog on the bird before he can get away or get in a hole. If I'm shooting the bird, I think I have the reponsibility to collect the downed bird first. I can always go back and work the single's if I want too. That would depend on the size of the covey and time of year. Will only attempt a double if I feel I'm in excellent position in relation to the initial covey raise. Not saying that needs to be everyone's attitude, but it's mine. For me...it's the experience with the dog...not the number of birds.
Most of the wild Bob White hunters like me agree with you totally. More retrieves will be made and more singles will be found with dogs that are steady to wing.
big steve

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:15 pm

Anyone hunt blues? Blues are tough and if you hit them poorly then you want a dog who is on them immediately before they can go in a hole or climb completely inside a yucca plant or worse burrow under it. I am all about hunting with safe people though. I think it is more important for a hunter to watch what he does than it is for a dog to be steady to wing and shot. Also on blues if your dog is steady to wing and shot then you will most likely shoot very few birds. The whole covey will flush at one time about 30-40 yards out in front and if you never get the covey broke up you will have a long day of walking with little shooting. Frankly if a bird isn't flying at least shoulder to head height you really have no business shooting at it. I am blind in one eye, have been since birth, and have never even come close to shooting mine or anyone elses dogs in many years of pheasant and quail hunting.

bpenn1980

Post by bpenn1980 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:57 pm

Singles and doubles, meaning the number of birds that flush after the main covey has taken off, not the number I'm shooting for. One bird at a time is fine by me.

bossman

Post by bossman » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:42 pm

We usually just refer to those as "straggler's" or "sleeper's"

jt807

Post by jt807 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:42 pm

If your dog is steady to the shot, you are in control. You can send the dog whenever you want. Shoot, and send 'em. You can get the delay down to a couple of seconds, and then you want have shots you have to hold back on because the dog was in the way.

Shooting a dog is not an issue of the dog breaking. It is an issue of you taking a shot that you should not have taken.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:37 pm

In nearly 40 yrs of wild quail hunting, I have never accidentally shot a steady-to-wing dog. Perhaps there are some hunters who need extra training.
big steve

bossman

Post by bossman » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:09 pm

Agree with Big Steve. You are still in control when your dog is steady to wing. Your in control if you take the shot or not. That is why it's important for me not to hunt with "meat hunters" but with "dog people". Hunting quail in Texas, a crippled bird can be in a hole in two seconds. Not sticking my hand in a hole...could pull back a nub with Mr. Snake attached. My dogs have retrieved too many cripples for me to change...unless I can have a "dead" kill on 100% of my shots...like thats going to happen. Don't misunderstand me. A stedy to wing and shot dog is a beautiful thing. When I field trialed in a previous life, always wanted my dogs to be steady to the shot. Just not pracitical in most cases when hunting wild quail.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:23 pm

big steve46 wrote:In nearly 40 yrs of wild quail hunting, I have never accidentally shot a steady-to-wing dog. Perhaps there are some hunters who need extra training.
I agree!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:40 pm

big steve46 wrote:In nearly 40 yrs of wild quail hunting, I have never accidentally shot a steady-to-wing dog. Perhaps there are some hunters who need extra training.
Add another 50 years to that and it makes 90 without seeing anyone even come close. Sure isn't the dogs fault if a bird is shot before it gets in the air and flying. Think that is something everyone is taught or at least should be before they ever get their hands on a gun.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:01 pm

I agree with bossman and it is not practical while hunting wild pheasant either. I want my dog on a pheasant as soon as it hits the ground. Too easy to lose a bird well hit or not pheasant are tough and can surprise you even if you think you have killed one they can still run.