Pheasant vs. Chukar

EddieF

Pheasant vs. Chukar

Post by EddieF » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:34 am

I asked this as part of a load question in the ammo forum, but realized I should have separated the two issues.

My young dog has trained on a few chukar, and I shot my first bird over her last week (also a chukar). This Sunday we are going to a preserve to give her some more bird experience. The preserve says the cover is quite thick still, and didn't recommend chukar because they may have trouble flying well out of it. They recommended pheasant.

The cover we shot the chukar out of was really thick, but she'll hold a point till I flush the bird, so does that matter? Some people I've talked to expressed concern about trying her on pheasant at this point.

Would pheasant hens be a good compromise? Should I not worry about it and just try both hens and cockbirds? Should I stick with chukar until she gets a few more under her belt?

The one thing I don't want to do is wait for the cover to die and thin out - I want to get Winnie back out as soon as possible, plus I'm really looking forward to going. So it's just a matter of what birds to get.

My latest idea is to get four chukar and then have them plant two pheasants at the far end of the field.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: Pheasant vs. Chukar

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:03 am

Eddie -

If Winnie will hold until the flush...there is no issue, in my mind. I like the taste of chuckar myself.

I also think that chuckar put out a tremendous amount of scent for their size and if you plant them a little hard, they stay put quite well.

In the final analysis, it won't make a whole lot of difference, especially if you use hen pheasant.

RayG

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:11 am

RayGubernat wrote:Eddie -

If Winnie will hold until the flush...there is no issue, in my mind. I like the taste of chuckar myself.

I also think that chuckar put out a tremendous amount of scent for their size and if you plant them a little hard, they stay put quite well.

In the final analysis, it won't make a whole lot of difference, especially if you use hen pheasant.

RayG
Yeah I did a chukar hunt with a friend a couple years ago and had them breasted out for us - really tasty indeed.

I am leaning toward chukar because I think it gives Winnie the best conditions for success. But might throw a pheasant in at the end if, for nothing else, the photo op. :D

balerseller

Post by balerseller » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:45 pm

Chuckar are generally cheaper, out here in california you get 6 bird plant of chuckars to 3 phesants for about the same price,,more opertunity to train with chuckar.