Changing a dog's name

HoosierTom

Changing a dog's name

Post by HoosierTom » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:23 pm

I just adopted a 11 month old puppy. Any thoughts/experience out here with changing the dogs name? I changed the name of a Brittany I rescued without any problems but this dog is coming from a good home.

Thanks!

sjkennels

Re: Changing a dog's name

Post by sjkennels » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:45 pm

i dont see why you couldn't. but one question what does the name mean to the dog? unless if it comes when you say its name besides that a dog most likely doesn't even need a name unless its a command to do something. like the 5 month old pup that i just got i am training it to come to ace.
kick'em up knock'em down

texscala

Post by texscala » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:17 pm

I have heard and agree to some extent that when you adopt a dog if the dog responds positively to its name there is no reason to change it. If you have a timid dog that may have been mistreated changing the name could be a good idea and form a better bond between owner and dog.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:35 am

I think you are asking about changing the call name, not the registered name.

American Field, FDSB will allow you to change the registered name for a fee, it happens often.

AKC will allow you to change the registered name if there are no wins and I think under a certain age.

There are dogs that have one name under FDSB and another under AKC.

As to the call name, most of my dogs have about 5 printable names, as I tend to use nicknames, we won't talk about the unprintable ones.

Neil

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:31 am

We have a Jack Russell we got as a puppy and named Gromit. His name is still Gromit, and he's 2 years old now. But somewhere along the line he got the nickname Monkey, and we use it a LOT. Now he answers to either, no problem.

bobman

Post by bobman » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:48 am

Why do you feel its necessary to change the name? If the dogs well adjusted I would leave well enough alone they go thru enough stress just being rehomed.

but to answer your question I've rescued many dogs (like you with your brittany) that I haven't had a clue what their original name was without problems

Dogs are like me.... you can call me anything just dont forget to call me to dinner :lol:
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

reba

Post by reba » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:22 am

My GSP at the age of 5 months came to live with us with the name Dutch.

I kept the name Dutch; HOWEVER Dutch will come and respond to a number of different names such as Liver Lips, Sxxt Head, Numb Nuts, Helmet Head etc.:-)=

I really don't believe your dog will ignore your kind voice even if you call him Sue.