Rigging a Chevy Avalanche for Hunting

RangerLes

Rigging a Chevy Avalanche for Hunting

Post by RangerLes » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:29 pm

Hi Everyone,
This is a great forum. I have a 2005 Chevy Avalanche. I have two English Setters and usually throw them in the back with the seats folded down on blankets. I separate the back seat from the front by a sheet of plexi-glass. I usually hunt by myself or with a friend so this arrangement works well - although I would prefer having both of them in a crate for safety and to stop my pup from chewing up the door.

Now I am planning my first trip out West. We'll have three hunters, four dogs plus gear and I just can't figure out how to put all of that in the Avalanche. It has a shorter bed and the width of the bed is less than a regular pickup because there is storage on both sides. I've seen a lot of great truck setups on this site and wondered if anyone out there has an Avalanche and how they rig is for hunting with multiple dogs and buddies.

Thanks for your help.
Les

topher40
GDF Junkie

Re: Rigging a Chevy Avalanche for Hunting

Post by topher40 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:37 pm

Really you have to be inventive and work within your budget. Maybe that means having a local welder make you a custom box that will fit your present truck. No offense but this is the second question of this nature in the same amount of days and everybody should be thinking of this before seasons open.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:34 pm

topher40 wrote:Really you have to be inventive and work within your budget. Maybe that means having a local welder make you a custom box that will fit your present truck. No offense but this is the second question of this nature in the same amount of days and everybody should be thinking of this before seasons open.
ahhhhhhhhh couldn't be said better

RangerLes

Post by RangerLes » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:18 pm

While I wouldn't disagree with your replys on their face, I still can't give either of your replys an A grade as you both failed to comprehend my question. Unfortunately for you - the site won't allow me to write in crayon. :roll: Please don't take offense but if you just want to put people down maybe you shouldn't post.

I asked if anyone had an Avalanche and if so, could you tell me how you rigged it out?

Other posters have shared some great ideas on this site, some provided detailed pictures of what they've done with there trucks. I don't just hunt on opening day and wanted to see what other Avalanche owners have done cause I'm in it for the long haul and plan to do this as long as the Lord allows.

Are there any hunters out there that have customize their Avalanche or did you have to buy/build a dog trailer to transport as many as 4 dogs and three hunters?

Thanks in advance for a helpful reply.

Les

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:28 pm

sorry you took offense and think you should use crayons- they do allow you to write in red or any color that tickles your fancy

toss the dogs in, pack the hunters in, throw the guns in, can get food and all you need on the road

jkoehler

Post by jkoehler » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:22 am

Avalance owner here and I understand what you are wanting. tight sqeeze with the avalance once you get gear and dogs in. With four dogs it might be best to locate a small trailer you could wrench down all your boxes on that and have your truck for gear only. Or take your hard top panels off and stack gear on top of dog boxes. If they have crates you should be able to get three crates in the back of the truck bed sideways. Does your avalance have roof racks? I have a bed slide on my truck that makes loading and unloading of dogs or gear pretty slick, just pull the sheet of plywood out and everything is right there. Cost me about $60 to make. couple 2x4's and some ball bearing rollers and had a drawer made.
Dont have pictures but I could get you some tonight if you wanted.....

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:44 am

Rangerles-
How long have you had the Avalanche? I assume you recently bought it. Sorry you were offended, hope you can understand where Shadow and I were coming from and good luck on your trip.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

RangerLes

Post by RangerLes » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:59 pm

Topher40 and Shadow - I wasn't offended just little disappointed. Please except my apology for being a smart a..! :oops: I think your posts were spot on in general way. I see both of you on the board a lot and think you are very knowledgable and helpful. I am learning from you and many others who actively post here. Thanks.

I bought the Avalanche to pull my boat in 2006. It's great for that and the removable panels give the truck a lot of utility. I recently paid the truck off so the plan is to run it as long as possible. I have not hunted since I was 15 and I am fifty-four now. I bought my first hunting dog in the fall of 2006 and my second February 2009. Now I wish I had a full size pickup with a cap.

JKoehler - Thanks for your response. Your setup sounds pretty slick. I assume your using plastic kennels. I live in Northern Indiana and will be driving to Kansas around Hill City. It's a long drive and I am wondering if the dogs will stay warm with that kind of setup? I'm told they would be OK if you load each kennel with straw. How do you handle bad weather, cold and wet, and a long drive using kennels? If your up to it a picture would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to everyone for there help.
Les

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:56 pm

heck- no offense taken nor meant- hunting season is just about here- pheasants- and I've been waiting looking at this 1/2 mile field with birds in it- so- I've been ready since last season

think what we meant was to set your vehicle up any way that can get you, yours, friends, on the road-
you do know that there are a lot of motels that will let you bring your dogs in out of the weather- sometimes for a fee of $5.00 per dog- I've always said- as I show them my Britt's- that they are so worn out they crawl in the box and sleep till morning- sometimes a good swat and you best be good makes scense

can understand now- haven't hunted since you were 15- wow- I wouldn't worry about it- some of these dogs will be happy to be crammed in any where- or sleep on someones lap

I actually thought your rig wasn't to bad as it was- tightly packed dogs is not to bad a thing- if they get along

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:43 pm

The Avalanche is a great road machine with extra storage compartments and it seats four comfortably. I rode in one from Missouri and Texas and it worked very well. We used some smaller single dog crates and arranged them the best we could for the dogs, we did remove the bed cover. I would think about a dog trailer or limit the number of dogs, I think we ended up taking three in the crates.