SD or AA ? to trial people and judges

terrylndrs

SD or AA ? to trial people and judges

Post by terrylndrs » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:48 am

I am new to field trials and wanting to get started and have a question about the judging of the dogs. I have noticed, for example the 2009 NGSPA Pheasant Championship that Hi N's Hurricane Express won both the ASD and the AA. To me it seems like it would be a contradiction for a dog to win both. If a dog is a SD isn't it's range to short for an all age and if it's an AA isn't the range to big for a shooting dog? How can you get both out of one dog? Is this a matter of having different judges looking for different things? Please help me to understand. Maybe I'm wrong but , to me it seems like taking a NFL quarterback (AA) and letting them go back to college (SD) and play.
All thoughts welcome

P.s.
Congradulations to Hank. This is not ment to be a knock on Hank. Only using this as an example. I have seen this other places also.

postoakshorthairs

Re: SD or AA ? to trial people and judges

Post by postoakshorthairs » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:54 am

I'm not an expert by any stretch...but I think he won the All Age with a Pro handler and the Amatuer Shooting Dog with his owner/am handler.

terrylndrs

Post by terrylndrs » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:58 am

In the AA he was handled by a pro, but I don't see why that would make the dog run bigger. Shouldn't a dog run a similar race no mater who is handling?

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:00 pm

A TRUE AA dog can run in a Sh dog, it does however take more hacking to keep in contact with the dog to get it around and shorten it up. Alot of times you can take a HUGE running SH dog that "could" run AA, albeit a short AA, and still win with the number of finds and birdwork in an AA event. It takes a very special dog to run in multiple venues AND excel. They are few and far between but a beautiful thing to watch.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:00 pm

terrylndrs,

Being a newbie you get to learn all of the various terms thrown around by folks. Guys will talk about "true" AA dogs & "tweeners". In this context its generally about how big the dog runs and how it covers the field. Tweeners are considered to be big running shooting dogs, that can at times compete as AAs. Sometimes these big running shooting dogs continue to develop nicely into true AA competitors. Remember the courses are all different. A true AA dog should be the same nation wide however some will say a AA dog by Eastern standards may only be a shooting dog out west. So there are some dogs a little better suited to running both AA & SD under certain circumstances & conditions. However as has been pointed out already its still about the handling and in many situations it requires more vocalization by the handler to help the AA dog around the SD course.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:36 pm

topher40 wrote:A TRUE AA dog can run in a Sh dog, it does however take more hacking to keep in contact with the dog to get it around and shorten it up. Alot of times you can take a HUGE running SH dog that "could" run AA, albeit a short AA, and still win with the number of finds and birdwork in an AA event. It takes a very special dog to run in multiple venues AND excel. They are few and far between but a beautiful thing to watch.

Excellent response.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:35 am

I think a lot of the "AA" shorthairs are tweeners; shooting dogs that make big booming moves.

Frankly, all I want is a gun dog that will hit a edge and go.

Greg J.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:53 am

Greg Jennings wrote:I think a lot of the "AA" shorthairs are tweeners; shooting dogs that make big booming moves.

Frankly, all I want is a gun dog that will hit a edge and go.

Greg J.
Me too.

myerstenn

Post by myerstenn » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:36 pm

postoakshorthairs wrote:I'm not an expert by any stretch...but I think he won the All Age with a Pro handler and the Amatuer Shooting Dog with his owner/am handler.
In reality the handler has very little affect on rage from stake to stake. When judging an all-age stake race should be the prime consideration. Quanity of birds means very little unless race and bird work is simular.In the south and areas where courses are tight three is very little difference in race from aa to sd. On the praries it a completely different story , race becomes very apparent and obviously the bigger the better.

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:53 pm

I might have been way off in my response. I didn't know if he was clear that he was handled as an amatuer and a pro stake.

terrylndrs

Post by terrylndrs » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:41 pm

Thank you for all your responses. Very Informative

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:34 pm

Steiger calls them "grey dogs" and they are by far the most fun to run with, hunt with and compete with. My dog has won both the AA and OSD in one hour stakes and in the same trial. He is just wonderful to run as all you have to do is go to the front and find him standing, if you have not seen him for a bit, handler and scout get busy.\

I really disagree with some that they are seperated by the number of finds that a shooting dog has and an allage dog is supposed to not find.

Wild birds separate the sheep from the goats in these trials. The allage guy will just stand out.

Jerry
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me