training a dog to "drop to whistle "

leveraction

training a dog to "drop to whistle "

Post by leveraction » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:37 am

I read this term on another site and was wondering if this was commen practice with bird dogs. A dog that lays down no matter what he is doing or where he is at when you whistle?
Seems like a good way to control the distance the dog hunts, not to let him get out to far.
Any thoughts???

gone

Hault

Post by gone » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:04 pm

I think this might be what you are looking for take a look see if this helps at all.

http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/viewto ... ight=hault

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:27 pm

Hey Murph
How's the new dog? you had her out yet?

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:44 pm

No, it is not a common practice if that is your question. It is obviously done tho, but I have never encountered anyone that trains it. I don`t know why you would need a dog to drop for control. I just train a good Whoa and train a dog to turn at a whistle blast or voice. I would be afraid of it inerating into a dog confusing down on his pointing.
brenda

gone

Post by gone » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:35 pm

Dirtysteve wrote:Hey Murph
How's the new dog? you had her out yet?
She is doing well. I live just north of Blaine Jensen RV in Layton/Kaysville & there are a couple of fields over there that have a bunch of pheasants in them. I took her out the other day, but only had 10 minutes or so. She got really birdy, but we didn't see anything. She has great instincts she starts hunting as soon as she hits the ground, she needs some work though. She will be a great dog though. Thanks for asking.

On this subject I don't have any experience with teaching this command, but can see some pros & cons to teaching it as stated above by snips. I think if it were taught after the dog is finished it would be a helpful command especially around the house & if you are hunting with people that are new to the sport (to protect the dog). I think that some of this is brought up in that other thread that I posted above.

Margaret

Re: training a dog to "drop to whistle "

Post by Margaret » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:17 pm

leveraction wrote:I read this term on another site and was wondering if this was commen practice with bird dogs. A dog that lays down no matter what he is doing or where he is at when you whistle?
Seems like a good way to control the distance the dog hunts, not to let him get out to far.
Any thoughts???

Teach dog to drop on command, then introduce the whistle before you give the command. Hand signal is often used too (raised hand as in "stop").

I have video of a Pointer field trial in Europe where the dogs dropped or sat whenever a hare broke cover. Didn't affect their pointing at all. 8)

Marg

leveraction

Post by leveraction » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:37 am

Interesting................Thanks for the feedback!

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:50 am

What if you are running with someone else blowing a whistle?
brenda

sudiegirl

Post by sudiegirl » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:59 am

hault is a great command, but not one to be used lightly. it requires complete and total submissiveness from the dog.... because of this... you REALLY don't want to overuse it or incorrectly use it.
my dog does NOT drop do a whistle command, but to the voice command
i have no idea what you would do in that situation if someone actually had the exact same whistle command for a different command for his dog .... i suppose though that it would be just as bad for the you to blow your hault command for your dog and screw up his dog.
brenda do you mean a sotuation where someone was trying to sabotage you in a hunt test, or one whre you were just hunting with friends? if hunting with friends, just work it out maybe by not using the whistle or by not hunting the dogs together. i dont know what you would do in the other situation.... maybe some others with hunt test or extensive whistle training experience will chime in b/c i haven't a clue.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:43 pm

Snips,

I ran against a pro handler back in the 80's that carried a lanyard with 50-60 different whistles. He rode up to me and said "Best of luck" as he eyeballed my Acme Thunderer. I saw him pull one from his lanyard and he blew that thing from the moment the brace started until it was over. My dog was messed-up. His dog ignored it.

Pretty funny looking back at it, but at the time I was PI$$ED!!

sudiegirl

Post by sudiegirl » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:00 pm

he didn't get in trouble for trying to mess up your dog??!! i would have been furious!!! :evil: :evil: what a jerk!!!

Ric Lindsey

Post by Ric Lindsey » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:03 pm

'sitting at the sound of a whistle"
We lab guys use it to direct our dogs on "Blinds".For example we are out duck hunting,we shoot 2 ducks,the dog sees the second bird fall,not the first,we send him after the second bird for example,while hes' in route.I see the first is a cripple bird.I blow one blast.he sits,which means he turns and looks at me while treding water.I give a "over" pointing left or right.he heads to his right,when he's inline with the bird.another blast.he stops looks at me,I say back to get him to the bird.
As for when upland hunting(just a scenerio here)say the dog bumps,flushes a bird..insted of letting him run the length of the feild and flushing the rest of the birds..one whistle blast can "sit him"