Air Travel with Large Dogs

Lexus423

Air Travel with Large Dogs

Post by Lexus423 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:29 pm

Hello,

My wife and I are avid travellers. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with any airlines and travelling with dogs. I have spoken to several airlines (in an attempt to make a trip to Florida) and apparently they only allow you to bring a dog that fits in a crate under your seat. I have a male GSP so that obviously wasnt going to work.

We would love to plan a trip to California next year but are concerned regarding airline policies with large dogs. Does anyone have any experience flying with certain airlines or have any recommendations? Thanks.

postoakshorthairs

Re: Air Travel with Large Dogs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:48 pm

I don't have any experience traveling with, but i have shipped a couple of adult dogs....which i believe is what you'll basically have to do. I used Delta (which i believe now is northwest but might be mistaken) and you sent them as "live cargo". I was charged by the crate size/weight. They're pretty picky about the crate being big enough for the dog etc. It's not cheap...around 300 for each dog one way. I'm not sure if there's a discount if your traveling with or not. I also don't believe they can be in the same crate unless they're young puppies or mother/puppy. Like i said, limited experience so i'm sure you'll get other info.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:14 pm

I've flown with my dogs on Delta a few times and always had a good experience. OK, once they didn't deliver me the tag indicating that my dog had been loaded until after we had started taxiing out - in which case it was too late if he had NOT been loaded - but otherwise they treated them very nice.
I would only do it on a nonstop flight. Layovers would scare me.

Either way - getting a dog on an airplane is expensive. I'd bank on spending at least the price of your plane ticket, and most likely more.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:24 pm

My dog (DD) and I flew from ATL to DENVER this fall. It cost more to fly him than it did for me. He flew as cargo and I think it was $275.00 each way for him on Delta (which owns North West now) My ticket was just over $300.00 round trip.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:43 pm

Maybe some dark glasses and a long walking stick might get him on the plane beside you :mrgreen:
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno