Box size for your dog

jkoehler

Box size for your dog

Post by jkoehler » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:36 pm

I am just wondering what size of dog box you give your dog when traveling. I am looking to see if I can downsize so that I have more room for luggage and make hauling the dog box a little easier. Let me know what type of dog you have and then dimensions of your box.
GSP - XL plastic crate and a homemade box for my Avalanche - 44"L x 24"W x 28" tall ( this fits perfectly in the spot of one of my avalanche hard cover tops)

topher40
GDF Junkie

Re: Box size for your dog

Post by topher40 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:42 pm

Sounds like a palace! I have a three whole diamond plated aluminum with top storage and dimensions are 19 Deep, 19 Wide, 17 High. You can easily fit a 70 lb dog in there WITH straw. Your one box sounds like it has about the same overall size as my entire box so you should be able to do LOTS of downsizing. :wink: Dogs only need enough room to lay down, they dont need room to get up and walk around and stretch their legs.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:21 pm

Topher is correct,actually a smaller box compared to a bigger box is better in several ways.The smaller box does not allow a dog to stand & move around as much so not as much a chance of them falling or sliding around & being injured.The smaller box will also be easier to hold the heat from the dogs body temps in the winter when it is probably used the most travelling to & from hunting & be easier to cool with a fan or ice in the summer if needed.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:06 pm

Actually VZ if you have proper vent holes in the box and storage on top, which works as insulation, you dont have to many worries in the summer either. I have transported dogs in 100+ degrees and not had any problems. Although I do usually put ice in the box when the temp is over 95 to keep the dogs cool if they are going to be in there for awhile. :lol:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

eastwash

Post by eastwash » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:14 pm

For my Llew who is about 55lbs I use a large which is 36"in length for my truck and he sleeps in XL at night which is 42"long.
Two Faced Jake

jt807

Post by jt807 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:20 am

topher40 wrote:Actually VZ if you have proper vent holes in the box and storage on top, which works as insulation, you dont have to many worries in the summer either. I have transported dogs in 100+ degrees and not had any problems. Although I do usually put ice in the box when the temp is over 95 to keep the dogs cool if they are going to be in there for awhile. :lol:
Must be nice. Phoenix, that wouldn't cut it. During the summer, you keep your dogs in the A/C with you, or only travel early morning or at night.

jkoehler

Post by jkoehler » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:51 pm

Thats it just one guy with a 19"x19"x17"t??

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:03 pm

My dogs do just fine in an intermediate box. It is 23" high I believe, and about 20" wide. My biggest male is over 60# and he fits in there with a little room to spare. It is deeper than it needs to be but since the dogs typically curl up when they lay down, that gives me a place to put water or a hunk of ice. My smallest dog is a bit less than 40# and she fits in a medium box(the biggest one with a handle on top).

I can haul these dogs for hours and they come out of the box fine... not cramped up or anything. When at a field trial, they stay in the boxes overnight and again, are just fine.

RayG

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:36 am

19"X19"X36" (inside dimensions), Kind of forces the dogs to stay laid down. Safer.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick