Tail Docking

LBH

Tail Docking

Post by LBH » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:01 pm

Any known risks on docking an older dogs tail? She is an 8 month old Shorthair.

Dave Quindt

Re: Tail Docking

Post by Dave Quindt » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:38 pm

LBH wrote:Any known risks on docking an older dogs tail? She is an 8 month old Shorthair.
Any incision increases the risk of infection. An incision on the tail is a bit more difficult to manage, as the dog can easily chew on it.

I had the tail on a 16 week old pup redocked a few years ago. The toughest part was keeping the pup from chewing on the tail, which had to be bandaged for 14 days, if I remember correctly. The first week to 10 days wasn't much of a problem for me. The company that makes the "Bitter Apple" spray makes that product in a gel form; I'd put that on the bandage and it worked quite well.

If you can keep the tail dry and clean for those 2 weeks, I'd go for it. Then again, I can't stand these long tails we're seeing these days on some GSPs.

JMO,
Dave

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:22 pm

I bet it is pretty high priced, you talked with the vet yet.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:28 pm

I think I would have to have a very good reason before I would consider it. Can be a real problem getting it healed up and doesn't make the dog any better.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

LBH

Post by LBH » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:55 pm

Yes, I have talked with the vet. The price will be ok, as we know the doctors real well and always get a bit of a discount, plus I help them out every once and awhile so we can work something out.

Here is a picture of my pup, Blayzee. You will see at the end of her tail she has a knot, bump, kink... I'm not sure what to call it. So I'd like to get rid of that and also take off some length. This picture was taken when she was 3 months old.
BlayzeeTail1.jpg
Where I'd like her tail to be:
BlayzeeTail2.jpg
As far as infection goes and keeping them from messing with it, I was thinking about getting her one of those cones that go around their neck :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:15 pm

If you want the dog to have a short tail, thats up to you. But do not let the little knot be the reason, it will go away.

LBH

Post by LBH » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:24 pm

I am not sure the knot will go away. It has been there since she was just a baby. She is now 8 months old. The bone is crooked.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:08 pm

I have seen several done...No problems.
brenda

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:40 pm

My dog just had his tailed docked at about 2.5 years old. He was fine, right after we took the stitches out he split it open so it took longer to heal.

I would say watch her like a hawk and do not let that happen, a tail will bleed a lot.

As far as side effects, my dog is just getting back on birds because of a move and the tail issue, but he does not seem to hold his tail as high. I do not know if it is from the procedure or not. He broke his and it was painful for a while for him, so I do not know if he did some kind of nerve damage or what.

As long as you watch them and do not let them open it up by licking or beating it against the kennel or walls, I think it will be fine.

brandon

LBH

Post by LBH » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:14 pm

bwjohn wrote:My dog just had his tailed docked at about 2.5 years old. He was fine, right after we took the stitches out he split it open so it took longer to heal.

I would say watch her like a hawk and do not let that happen, a tail will bleed a lot.

As far as side effects, my dog is just getting back on birds because of a move and the tail issue, but he does not seem to hold his tail as high. I do not know if it is from the procedure or not. He broke his and it was painful for a while for him, so I do not know if he did some kind of nerve damage or what.

As long as you watch them and do not let them open it up by licking or beating it against the kennel or walls, I think it will be fine.

brandon
I do not want it to effect the way she carries her tail. I am going to put this idea on the back burner for a few months and see how it sounds after I have taken more than enough time to think it over and do some research. I'm in no rush so why not take all the time I need.

Thanks for the help.

desertcountrygsp

Post by desertcountrygsp » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:12 pm

Check this out first, changed my mind about docking

http://www.azsj.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18358

LBH

Post by LBH » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:30 pm

Thanks for all the help and info.

At this point, I will leave her alone. She is one of the best pups I've had and I would hate to screw something up on her. I'll think things over long and hard before I pull the trigger on anything.

Thanks again.

ecater2218

Post by ecater2218 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:20 pm

Too bad the breeder did not do this early. Queen (4 mos.) had a scer on her right leg where the breeder did not get all the cells from dewclaw removal and it tried to come back. It was a gross looking anomaly. The vet took it off and she got her stitches out today. It cost me $200. The vet said it was an honest mistake by the breeder. We went through 10 days of Queen chewing at the bandages, but other than that it was uneventfull.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:54 pm

dont be afraid to have it docked if you want. i have docked a numer of tails on older dogs with no problems at all. the trick is to leave enough skin to sew over the stub so there is no tension on it. that coupled with a good stitch job and enough time to heal, and the tail should look like she was born that way.

TAK

Post by TAK » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:46 pm

LBH wrote:Any known risks on docking an older dogs tail? She is an 8 month old Shorthair.
Ya Lantz..... your GSP might not look like a Pointer!
:mrgreen:

LBH

Post by LBH » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:07 pm

She sorta does look a little pointerish. I think I will get it done this summer, when we are not doing much with her and can take the healing process nice and slow.

Congrats on Toad and Flyboy. 8)

Crestonegsp

Post by Crestonegsp » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:26 pm

The only reason to dock the tail would be cosmetic and the only place you need a docked tail is the show ring. Is it worth the dicomfort you cause the dog? Hey there is nothing wrong with a stick like that.
Dan Schoenfelder

CH/FC PVR's Rugerheim Smokin' Liberty
CH/RUCH PVR's Rugerheim Double Shot
PVR N' Rugerheim Vendetta Ride
Rugerheim's Final Frontier