Snow balling up in pups paws

hpvizslas

Snow balling up in pups paws

Post by hpvizslas » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:34 pm

Quick question

We have a new WHV pup and I have been trying to get the dogs out to run them but we have a lot of snow still on the ground. I noticed that the pup is having snow/ice balls build up in her paws. I have never encountered this with our smooth Vizslas so I am assuming it is due to the extra hair the WHV has. Any ideas on how to keep this from happening? I don't want any bad experiences for the pup and I need to make sure that they are getting plenty of exercise, so waiting until the snow melts is not an option.

Thanks
Jeff

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Snow balling up in pups paws

Post by Sharon » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:39 pm

I have setters. I keep the hair cut VERY short in the paws. This almost eliminates the balling up of snow.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:58 am

I have a wire-haired dog too and it happens to me. I dont trim the hair but I use Mushers Secret on the pads and in between. It is a common product on the East Coast especially NYC where salt is a problem for city dogs. Burts Bees also sells a Bees Wax hand product that works just as well and pretty much every grocery store in the world has it.

http://www.burtsbees.com/natural-produc ... salve.html

Both of these products are completely safe if the dog decides to lick it off. Be generous using it and let it dry in.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:16 am

I have a smooth V and we clip the hair in his paws. It helps with him tracking stuff in on the wood floors. I just use the trimmers that I have for the goatee. Works great.

When we're hunting in ice, I put normal Vaseline inside their paws and on their pads. It keeps the ice from building up.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:57 am

Greg Jennings wrote:I have a smooth V and we clip the hair in his paws. It helps with him tracking stuff in on the wood floors. I just use the trimmers that I have for the goatee. Works great.

When we're hunting in ice, I put normal Vaseline inside their paws and on their pads. It keeps the ice from building up.
Vasoline works as well as any product I have tried. But do make sure you trim the hair on the bottom of the paw and between the toes. From there the dogs usually take care of any buildup that is bothering them.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Mahamari

Post by Mahamari » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:09 am

Curious why any maintenance is necessary? I only wonder because my Drahthaar has buildup of snow in his paws when we go out and it doesn't seem to bother him a bit (though if I cut off one paw I'm not not sure he''d show that it bothered him). Is there problems that can occur with this buildup?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:11 am

If they build up *ice* on their paws, it will eventually rub raw places.

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:52 am

Jeff,
What I do about his problem is keep the hair trimmed short, then rub Cowboy Magic on the dogs paws prior to each outing. Cowboy Magic also works real well
on all feathering to keep snow ball from forming.
RGD/Dave

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:44 am

Thanks everyone for the tips. Someone else told me to do nothing and that the pup would figure it out. What are your thoughts on that?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:43 am

Sure the dig can solve his/her problem., but it means i have to stand there and wait every 20 minutes while dog works on his/her feet. No thanks.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett