Thoughts on running green broke dogs

hpvizslas

Thoughts on running green broke dogs

Post by hpvizslas » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:30 pm

Is it better to run green broke dogs in Amatuer stakes or Open Stakes?

Do you tell the judge the dog is green broke?

Do you try to avoid certian situations?

Any other thoughts?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Thoughts on running green broke dogs

Post by Sharon » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:15 pm

Question 1 - Doesn't matter imo. Pick some smaller , less important events until you and the dog are less green.

Question 2 - The judge doesn't care. He'll look at you as if you have 3 eyes if you tell him. March up to that line, as if you have a Champion. :)

Question 3 - Yes. Avoid backing situations if the dog doesn't back. If he takes out another dog's bird along with the dog, the other handler will remember your name.
Last edited by Sharon on Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:40 pm

Question 2 - The judge doesn't care. He'll look at you as if you have 3 eyes if you tell him.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW, so will your dog!

Casper

Post by Casper » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:27 am

If the dog isn't ready then why would you want to run it? IMO its better to make sure you have prepared the dog and yourself for the trial. If you don't then your just wasting your money.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:28 am

I'm all for getting your feet wet early and often personally. Best way to learn how to do field trials is by doing field trials - mistakes and goofs included and guaranteed. I wouldn't worry about messin' up the bracemate either, if your dog messes their's up, their's wasn't broke either. :wink: :lol:

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:16 pm

I run my dogs in broke stakes when I feel that I have a pretty decent chance of getting them around - I don't wait until I think they're dead-broke, perfect dogs who will never screw up or take their bracemate out. If you wait for that, you're going to be waiting a lot longer.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:10 pm

DGFavor wrote:I'm all for getting your feet wet early and often personally. Best way to learn how to do field trials is by doing field trials - mistakes and goofs included and guaranteed. I wouldn't worry about messin' up the bracemate either, if your dog messes their's up, their's wasn't broke either. :wink: :lol:
I agree most of the time on this. I've seen a dog that got a little "friendly" with his bracemate on point. I don't care how broke that dog is, he wasn't taking that! And I don't blame him.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:27 pm

If the dog is likely to catch a pen-raised bird in the trial, I'd stay home and work on him till he's more ready.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:35 pm

IMO -Why give a dog that may break point one more opportunity to be reinforced for breaking with a good chase. Variable reinforcements can kill you on further training. Also, you will have to put more pressure on the dog when you get home and try to take the chase back out of him, which in turn diminishes style.

Nitrex

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:19 pm

phermes1 wrote:I run my dogs in broke stakes when I feel that I have a pretty decent chance of getting them around - I don't wait until I think they're dead-broke, perfect dogs who will never screw up or take their bracemate out. If you wait for that, you're going to be waiting a lot longer.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:20 pm

phermes1 wrote:I run my dogs in broke stakes when I feel that I have a pretty decent chance of getting them around - I don't wait until I think they're dead-broke, perfect dogs who will never screw up or take their bracemate out. If you wait for that, you're going to be waiting a lot longer.

X2.....

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:50 am

nitrex wrote:IMO -Why give a dog that may break point one more opportunity to be reinforced for breaking with a good chase. Variable reinforcements can kill you on further training. Also, you will have to put more pressure on the dog when you get home and try to take the chase back out of him, which in turn diminishes style.

Nitrex
It is not so much that they are going to break point and chase in my way of defining a green broke dog. A green broke dog may move a little after the flush but they are not going to take out the bird on their own, if they do then they aren't ready to be broke and feeling too much pressure. They just need the experience in a competitive venue and they may make a few mistakes.

Does anyone else define a green broke dog another way?

Thanks for everyone's input

Jeff

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:41 am

Sounds to me like you should go ahead and run 'em. You'd be surprised at how many dogs out there running in trials that are "green" broke.

Doug