going to look at a dog have a question

springpoint

going to look at a dog have a question

Post by springpoint » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:09 am

I've come across a english pointer that someone is selling because of her small size. She is 16lbs at 7months is this way under ave. how big do you think this dog will be?

If it's way under ave. for a english pointer is there any health problems that i have to look for.

thanks

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Re: going to look at a dog have a question

Post by Yawallac » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:23 am

Somethings not right and I would be worried about other genetic problems as well. Could be fine, but not something I would invest my time on. JMO.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:36 am

with out seeing her some things that come to mind is she a pure bred dog...and I am not talking about the paper part of it..anyone can produce papers

then maybe she was real sick as a pup and it stunted the growth

maybe she has/had some nutritional deficiency

or she could be a small true runt pointer that is a never give up tough little dog
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:36 am

I think 9 months ago, a Jack Russell Terrier found a step ladder and, well- you know the rest .......................

SIXTEEN pounds at 7 months of age for an English Pointer just isn't right. Take your time, money & most importantly-
your high expectations and look elsewhere. There are alot of good breeders of EP Field stock that you can find right here
on this forum.

Just my .02 cents,

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:10 pm

Too bad you are in Michigan or I would give you an EP out of excellent breeding that I got from an aquaintance who was not taking very good care of her. Black and white purebred. I know the kennel she comes from and contacted the kennel owner. Oklahoma is a long way from Michigan though. I just took her because she looked like she was being starved and I have put some weight on her but have no intention of keeping her. I have too many dogs already.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:40 pm

kninebirddog wrote:with out seeing her some things that come to mind is she a pure bred dog...and I am not talking about the paper part of it..anyone can produce papers

then maybe she was real sick as a pup and it stunted the growth

maybe she has/had some nutritional deficiency

or she could be a small true runt pointer that is a never give up tough little dog
Exactly what my setter is. 27 pounds, 4 years old and a firecracker in the field. :)

" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:32 pm

I would say she was way undersized. Is she really skinny or just small. Depending on her breeding, I think she should be 25 - 35lbs at 7 months old. I am not saying she would not make a good hunting dog though. Depending on her frame I would say she would end up being between 20-25lbs fully grown.

ecater2218

Post by ecater2218 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:57 pm

Queen is 4.5 mos. old and weighs 32 lbs. At 17 lbs. that EP is way light. Can you see all her ribs? Is her butt bony?

springpoint

Post by springpoint » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:13 pm

She come for a very reputable cover dog breeder and the owner that has her now has had very good dogs that he trials, and said she is just to small and doesn't run big enough, he figures she will be about 25 - 30lbs.

thanks for your opinions

springpoint

Post by springpoint » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:05 pm

I talked to the owner and he said the dog in question came from a litter of fourteen and she was the smallest when born, and she is very healthy he said he thinks the small size is because of the litter size.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:34 pm

It doesn't matter how many pups are in the litter, a pup that small is not right.

If you don't want opinions, don't ask.

springpoint

Post by springpoint » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:13 pm

yawallac i thank you very much for your opinions, i was just saying what he told me, wondering what you guys thought.

thanks for all the suggestions

i have not seen the dog yet so i don't know if the dog looks malnurished or not.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:09 pm

Most likely just a bonafide Runt,like the breeder says.The last Setter I bought I took her bercause she was the smallest in her litter and had other things I liked.I like smaller dogs,more snappier in the field and more agile in the woods,and some more stamina then the bigger more heavier dogs.She looked just as good at the end of four hours as she did when I cut her loose.She weighs about 32-33 lbs and is a Firecracker.Plenty of Snap,Crackle and Pop.Nothing wrong with smaller dogs as long as they're healthy.
Dog On Point!!

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:37 pm

Most likely just a bonafide Runt,like the breeder says.
Where does it say that the "breeder" said that?
I like smaller dogs,more snappier in the field and more agile in the woods,and some more stamina then the bigger more heavier dogs.She looked just as good at the end of four hours as she did when I cut her loose.She weighs about 32-33 lbs and is a Firecracker.Plenty of Snap,Crackle and Pop.Nothing wrong with smaller dogs as long as they're healthy.
This dog is 7 mos old and weighs 16 lbs. I wonder what kind of bone this pup is carrying? Do you think that will effect how it looks "at the end of four hours"? I'll take a properly sized and built dog over a "bonafide runt" every time.

He also said the owner indicated that the dog doesn't run big enough for COVER DOG trials. Does that tell you anything? Probably missing all the "snap, crackle and pop" so desired in the grouse woods.

Springpoint, you will hopefully own this dog for the next 10-14 years. Lots of quality Pointer pups available. Why start with something defective?

...and I apologize if I sounded rude earlier, I just get frustrated with these kinds of posts. If you get the pup, I wish you all the best.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:45 pm

16 pounds seems so darn small. I almost would have to see this dog to believe it is that tiny. That is the size of a normal sized beagle.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:12 pm

I hear what Ross is saying. With all the dogs in the world why not start out with the very best you can afford. My runt was one of 7 pups I bred. No one wanted her so that how I ended up with her. I've learned the hard way, that life is short - get the very best dog you can afford.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:04 am

I'd drive down to Tommy- take a road trip springpoint

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:35 am

My mistake,I misread one of the posts.Them small ones will fool you sometimes.Because she may not run big enough for Cover Trials doesn't mean she won't make a hunting dog.
Dog On Point!!

springpoint

Post by springpoint » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:36 am

thanks guys for all the opinions i've decided to stay away from this dog and i don't want a dog that possibly has health issues.

thanks again

up-hunter

Post by up-hunter » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:36 am

spring is this the dog that is listed on the coverdog message board?

The thing i'm wondering about is how accurrate this weight is, if his scale was off 5 pounds your talking at dog that is around 22 pounds at 7 months and still small but not as bad.

I would go look at the dog and see if she looks healthy and ask and see if she has be checked by a vet.

kylenicholas02

Post by kylenicholas02 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:32 pm

22lbs or 16 lbs... with a dog market like this, spend a couple more dollars and get something you dont have to worry about health problems in the future... I hear theres some nice pointer pups hanging in the warm SC weather :)
KN

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:36 pm

I hear theres some nice pointer pups hanging in the warm SC weather :)
There are nice Pointer pups in MI too! It's easy to find good Pointer blood almost anywhere ...but thanks for the plug! :lol:

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:08 pm

I would worry about endocrine problems. She needs to be checked out by a vet. Even a runt should be larger than that.......
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

up-hunter

Post by up-hunter » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:57 pm

ross has a valid point as there are well bred pointer pups evey where at good prices. I would give ross a call.