Dealing with children toys and a dog

GSP 4 me

Dealing with children toys and a dog

Post by GSP 4 me » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:15 am

My 6 mo-old nephew is beginning to visit us along with an entourage of toys. My GSP LOVES toys and his eyes are like saucers whenever he sees all the goodies that come along with my nephew. As my nephew gets older, I'm sure his toy collection will grow, so I better do something soon to keep my dog from grabbing them. Boy, those stuffed animals toys are the equivalent of a moth to a flame for my dog!! :roll:

Any suggestions on how you handled similar situations?

sjkennels

Re: Dealing with children toys and a dog

Post by sjkennels » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:18 am

keep the toys in a room where the dog is not able to be in or put them in one of those plastic tubs that you get from walmart with a lid on it
kick'em up knock'em down

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:35 am

sjkennels wrote:keep the toys in a room where the dog is not able to be in or put them in one of those plastic tubs that you get from walmart with a lid on it
+1

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:29 am

Nothing ticks my wife off more than when I let the dogs in for awhile and one of them grabs a stuffed toy. Mine don't chew them up just carry them around but my wife gets really upset. I figure the kids have had worse things in their hands and mouth than a stuffed animal the dog has mouthed but I usually just tell them to drop it or I take it from them and put it back in the toy box and that is usually good enough to get the point across.

GSP 4 me

Post by GSP 4 me » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:54 pm

Storing the toys away from the dog is a good idea, but my biggest concern will be when the child is holding one or playing in front of the dog. This will be the real challenge.

thanks for the replies!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:14 pm

Keep real observant when the kid is playing with the toys when your dog begins to eye the toys just quietly walk in between where the kid is with toy and where your dog is turn and stand tall facing your dog tell he stops trying to eye the toy

again this is before the dog ever has a chance to commit to even trying to take the toy away from the kid...If your dog is obedient and respects your lead then that should be all it takes to get the message across ...but do not allow the dog to be around the kid unsupervised when the toys are out
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.