Chickens to sit on quail eggs

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Chickens to sit on quail eggs

Post by wems2371 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:59 am

I was given 2 young banty hens last year from someone that uses bantys to hatch some quail eggs. I know I'm not going to be filling my flight pen very fast with this method, but it sounded like a fun thing to try. Maybe I don't get out enough. :lol: Anyway, one of the chicken hens layed her first egg the other day. I've never had chickens before, and was thinking I should take it away, so I did. It was delicious. :D Then I didn't see another egg for a few days and in a different location (maybe not the same hen). Should I leave one chicken egg in the nest, until I can get some quail eggs bought to take it's place? Neither egg was being sat on, when I opened the coop. Does that mean my first time birds are not quite serious yet, and I would be wasting money on buying quail eggs at the moment? How many quail eggs could a banty sit on? If we manage to hatch some quail chicks, do I remove them immediately then from the hen and treat them like purchased quail chicks? Ugh......chicken newbie.

postoakshorthairs

Re: Chickens to sit on quail eggs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:10 pm

Do you have a rooster? I don't know much about chickens either, but i know that without a rooster they're not fertilized, and when non fertilized eggs are left...sat on or not...they will decompose fairly quickly. I have heard of people doing what your doing and it working but i'm told that it depends on the hens desire to sit on the eggs. Hopefully someone will know more than I do. I know a couple of "chicken people" so i'll pose your question to them and see what i get.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:22 pm

The hens will lay about 15 eggs or so before they will start to set on them. I would leave a couple of eggs or better yet get some wooden or plastic eggs to leave for her till she starts to set in a couple of weeks. I will not get into whethe to leave them with the hen or not as there could be many factors that would play into that decision. The bantys would be able to manage 15 to twenty quail eggs I would think. I did this many years ago but don't remember just how many we set.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

seadog

Post by seadog » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:44 am

Golf balls work great . The hen is moving the nest site because it has been discovered by a predator , you . Had a free range Bantam that lived with the pigeons and untill I left a golf ball or two it always a game of find me now .