Shade kennel Covers

nitrex

Shade kennel Covers

Post by nitrex » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:51 am

I'm ordering a shade cloth cover to go over the outdoor kennel runs this week. What level of shade do you all prefer? I live in Kansas and so I need the rain to go through it and not pool up. I'm planning to take it off in the winter months, so snow loads are not an issue. Most of the companies I am looking at have cloth that provides anywhere from 50-95% shade. I was thinking I needed about 75-80% shade cloth.

Thanks...

Nitrex

Birddog3412

Re: Shade kennel Covers

Post by Birddog3412 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:28 am

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... id=0005433

This is what I use. They will custom make these for about 90 cents a square foot. They are alot like trampolene material.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:02 pm

I have ordered shade tarps for years from Lookout Mountain Tarpaulin. They do them custom to fit and ship.
brenda

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:12 pm

Nitrex -

I bought a shade cloth a number of years ago from Farmtek/Grower's supply. It was 60% shade. I think it would have been better if I used 70% shade. A 12' wide colth is about $3.50 per foot. They will add brass grommets for 50 cents each add reinforcing tape to the edges for 50 cents per foot.

They also sell an aluminized shade cloth in 13' widths for $4.81 per foot. Reinforcing tape and grommets are same as above. The aluminized fabric reflects better than the black shade cloth and should keep the area under the cloth cooler.

They have a chart which recommends 70% for ferns, philodendron and livestock and 80% for livestock, pets, people.

Hope this helps.

RayG

mikebill11

Post by mikebill11 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:37 pm

let me save you a few hundred $$ and just plant some shade trees :lol: :lol:

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:36 pm

80% is the required standard for captive housing of an endanged species, and is the standard for mammals in zoos and aquariums under the AZA. :wink:

I have 60% on the side panels, and in full TN sun it barely makes a difference.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:20 am

mikebill11 wrote:let me save you a few hundred $$ and just plant some shade trees :lol: :lol:
Thats a good idea, maybe the next owner of you house will be able to shade his dogs with them.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:24 am

Just so you all know.....mikebill is the neighbor you wish would never have moved in!!:D

I'd go with the trees, but not sure the garage foundation would like that in a few years and I can't stand all the leaves in the Fall.

Thanks for all the input so far guys. I know I want something that will not unravel if it gets a hole in it and stands up to the UV. My kennels are a combined 12' x 19' 6" (3 kennels 6' 6" x 12"). So far I've found a few places that will make one for $100-$200 with an 80% shade cloth that includes grommets and taping.

I plan to keep the sides open, and most days we have a good breeze (we live in Kansas!), so is the black versus lighter color a big factor? It seems like I've seen many southern kennels going with the black as well as zoos in our are. Anything else I should consider before buying one?

Thanks again!

Nitrex

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:09 pm

Nitrex -

The black stuff I bought from Farmtek has gotten a few snags and holes in it over the years. I was able to patch the holes with heavy duty landscape cloth(glued and sewed in place and the holes in the shade cloth did not telegraph.

RayG

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:59 pm

Thanks RayG! I'll give them a call.

Nitrex

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:48 pm

http://www.thenaturalhome.com/shadecloth.htm

This is the best I have found. They will custom make it to size and place grommets at your spacing requirements. I get the black 90% with grommets every 24". All you ned are a bag of tarp bungees and you are good to go.

Here in Alabama I put mine up in early April and take it down in November. We get some serious heat this far south. If you fold them and store them properly you can get several years service out of them.

The company also has excellent service...do an on-line order and get it within a week.

Charles

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:52 pm

Just an Idea I had on the subject. Our kids have a 25foot trampoline and our dogs when running in the yard in the summer will lay under it to cool off. It already has holes on the edges where the springs go and probably could be folded to work for what you need. I bet you could look through the paper and find one for 50-75 $. They are meant to be in the sun and the one we have had for 5 years hasn't really faded. Just a thought