Britt's - where is it

Shadow

Britt's - where is it

Post by Shadow » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:17 pm

Figured they were watching something- looked out the window and saw a rooster standing-
got the camera figuring I could sneak arround the house and get a picture-

Elkhunter

Re: Britt's - where is it

Post by Elkhunter » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:07 pm

Do they not climb that fence?

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:17 pm

ahhhhhhhh that's the trick- and I won't have it any other way- nope- they don't even jump up- if I walk arround they'll stand up against the fence

they like the yard- never have tried to get out- course I'm here all the time- they like me

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:11 pm

took my camera and walked arround- think the Britt's still think the rooster is arroundImage

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:46 pm

My dogs would be out in seconds, heck they climb my 6 foot vinyl fence.

A/C Guy

Post by A/C Guy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:03 pm

Our Britt's would leap that in a heartbeat. They like our yard, but they LOVE to explore. They especially would not tolerate being in a fenced area while I was working in the yard, they would have to be near me.

BTW, nice looking dogs.
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:09 pm

I'm glad to see that one of those nice dogs is a "setter." :D
big steve

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:49 pm

thanks Steve- she just goes " he doesn't have a gun and we're not going hunting I'm not going to get excited'

dang but that big male plays pretty rough with the pups- she might play for a 1/2 min- she'll even growl- like- "go play I'm not interested"

A/C guy- every Britt I've ever had- they've never been climbers or jumpers- that big male could clear that easily- if he was to clear it- I'd toss him back hard- think he knows that- not sure what it is- but they're happy as all get out to have the run of inside the fence- got a few pictures of them watching quail walk by

now if I was to open that gate- they'd be off in a heartbeat- out and into that 1/2 mile field you can see- and they've dragged me

I can cary a gun and walk arround- they sit- I go out of sight- and peak- they are right there watching- I shoot- they still are watching

pups are 8 months old come March 11th

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:55 pm

for you Steve- she pretty much will set and wait :D I pointed my finger at the pups- they turned at looked at her and sat- Image

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:06 pm

Elkhunter- I usually let them blast out of the gate and into the field once a day- been doing since we've been here- think they understand there will be a time they get to go- so they are patient- something like that maybe

I figure if one goes over they'll all go over- so nope- you stay in there- I even got in the vehicle and drove down the road a long time ago- just to make sure- need them to know they must stay inside- now that's not to say they don't come unglued when someone drives in- they raise all sorts of racket and stand up against the fence- but won't climb or try to get out

mind you- I'm not about to really test them by going away for an extended time- that would be unfair to them

ecater2218

Post by ecater2218 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:24 pm

Very nice looking pack

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:51 am

thanks- dry country arround here- need to take them to some lake for a swim and a bit of retrieving-

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:14 am

I have a 6 foot fence that isn't even a challenge for my GSP. I think I've cured her escape plans though. I put an old e-collar on her that doesn't work, but she doesn't know that and so far she has quit the kangaroo rountine.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:33 am

Those are some good lookin' dogs. That male sure stands tall and proud. 8)

Doug

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:52 am

I really like that male! He is a handsome devil.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:40 pm

Doug- coming from you I appreciate it-

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:59 pm

fishvik wrote:I have a 6 foot fence that isn't even a challenge for my GSP. I think I've cured her escape plans though. I put an old e-collar on her that doesn't work, but she doesn't know that and so far she has quit the kangaroo rountine.
I've raised a few pups and litters in town- very dangerous to have one get out- so right from the start- nobody gets out- nobody climbs, jumps, or digs out

advantage- the parents don't even try- so the pups follow along- now that's not to say I haven't caught the pups digging- by the fence- they get the correction- going to be getting the correction a bit here- as it looks like they've been digging for iol :D

but I do allow him to jump up and stand on things- wife says I spoil him to much- naaaaa not me

has had me thinking- I built a dog house and he'd jump up and stand on top- whoops- to close to the fence
actually amazes me he hasn't jumped the fence- maybe he knows what I'll do

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:03 pm

Birddogz wrote:I really like that male! He is a handsome devil.
you wouldn't mind a 500 yard walk to see him standing like that- right :)

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:14 pm

you need a good laugh- and since noone has hammered me

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:23 pm

Shadow wrote:
Heck no. That pic with your female nursing and your male on top of the box is really a cool pic. You ever run him on Chickens? Looks like he has the legs for it.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:31 pm

Birddogz wrote:
Shadow wrote:
Heck no. That pic with your female nursing and your male on top of the box is really a cool pic. You ever run him on Chickens? Looks like he has the legs for it.
could maybe this fall- he's only been in pheasants- you suggesting we turn him loose on chickens- that would be interesting all right

that little female does right nice running with him

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:51 pm

Shadow, are you near Cassidy, KS?

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:57 pm

Liberal

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:31 pm

Heck, I have a good friend in Syracuse. I hunted down there once this year. Had a really good hunt. Lots of Phez!

mm

Post by mm » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:59 am

Thats a great picture. Nice dogs
mm

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:22 am

thanks mm- he is something- all full of all sorts of antics- he keeps me laughing

pups want to be like him- tough to show no favortism

think pretty soon "I'm king of the hill"

birddogz- there aren't any birds down here- sure you weren't where someone let them loose

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:41 am

We hunted near Garden City one day, Larned one day, and Plains the last. We had great luck. They were all very wild birds. My buddy had access to some very nice private land. We limited every day. It was just he and I, so limiting was much easier than when you have 10 people.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:50 am

Birddogz wrote:We hunted near Garden City one day, Larned one day, and Plains the last. We had great luck. They were all very wild birds. My buddy had access to some very nice private land. We limited every day. It was just he and I, so limiting was much easier than when you have 10 people.
well now- maybe we could slip in this male- you don't mind if I allow him to have free run

oh- no mice or rabbits- right

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:00 am

Bring him on in! I have to say that my dogs have been known to point rabbits on occasion, but not chase them. They don't point mice, but will try their darndest to eat one if they see it. Crazy canines. How are the quail around you? I saw a bunch in Larned, but not in GC or Plains.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:14 pm

guy across the road let 40 blues loose 2 weeks before the season

I had two coveys hanging arround- kept the Britt's away and didn't shoot any
hunters wiped them out :evil:

other than that- I haven't left the farm

next time you're down here give me a heads up- as long as it's you and maybe just one other

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:24 am

VERY cool pictures. Thanks for posting them!!

That big male of yours is the biggest Britt I've ever seen. What does he weigh? I bet that dude can cover some territory.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:11 pm

AZ-

beginning of the season he was 47.2 lbs- couple days ago- 46.3- a bit over 22.5 at the shoulders :D - as I've put a picture up with a steel tape behind him-
I thought he was fast as all get out- but his daughter can keep up with him

he points with a high head- thinking of running him in NSTRA- but criminy sakes- if he has a high head where the heck is the bird

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:44 pm

Its always been my experience that the small dogs are faster and bigger runners while the bigger dogs are the work horse type that can plow through the heaviest cover.

Kind of like people where the bigger stronger people compete in the shotput and discus while the small thin people are the runners that shine in the sprints and marathons.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:50 pm

I don't know Ezzy-

you tell me how fast your Garmin says your's run- then I'll tell you how fast he runs :)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:05 pm

Would be nice to have a Garmin to check it out. I have a heck of a time trying to keep track of where they are and its almost impossible to hunt them when the cover is heavy and I have to find them if they are on point. They sure can be hard to see when they get out 400 yds or so and they go over a hill. I normally just look for movement but when you don't see that the Garmin sounds awfully nice.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:12 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Would be nice to have a Garmin to check it out. I have a heck of a time trying to keep track of where they are and its almost impossible to hunt them when the cover is heavy and I have to find them if they are on point. They sure can be hard to see when they get out 400 yds or so and they go over a hill. I normally just look for movement but when you don't see that the Garmin sounds awfully nice.

Ezzy
yeh- I've tried to get him to go all out- now if I was to allow him to chase these jacks like he did before the season started

all I can say is- I open the gate and he blasts out with 3 others going- little female has it in her head that she should be at his shoulder- he goes with his head up- she's streamlined and low down- her brother is all out but slowly slips back- Candy slows down and says- ah heck with this

southernblues

Post by southernblues » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:45 pm

IMG_0542.JPG
What a great thread. No sense it letting a good thread die...here's a pic for ya. Sam just turned 1 yr old this month.

>>>sorry to hijack<<<
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by southernblues on Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

southernblues

Post by southernblues » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:55 pm

Shadow wrote:Figured they were watching something- looked out the window and saw a rooster standing-
got the camera figuring I could sneak arround the house and get a picture-

Them there are some purdy dogs...that pup looks like he's got some bulldog in him. Wide frame!

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:22 pm

thanks southern- I do like the looks of your sam- that's a picture to put up on the wall- or computer background

Lizzi is going to be slim and i suspect right arround 21 at the whithers- Choc is going to be big- feel a bit sorry for him as he can't keep even with her on the breakaway- but he's the real lover of the two- just real mild mannered- he was the first to point and hold till flush just over 4 months- she came along later but really caught on to the backing

healing up slowly- you figuring on having some play training coming up

pretty cool arround here- Roosters are strutting and the Britt's are pointing thru the fence- will try to get a picture as they come by 40 yards from the fence- problem is- I open the door those roosters are smart and quick to get- just had one walk by this window- thought to go get the camera and try a pic thru the glass

got a story to tell about a couple quail- I let two loose

southernblues

Post by southernblues » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:59 am

Shadow wrote:thanks southern- I do like the looks of your sam- that's a picture to put up on the wall- or computer background

Lizzi is going to be slim and i suspect right arround 21 at the whithers- Choc is going to be big- feel a bit sorry for him as he can't keep even with her on the breakaway- but he's the real lover of the two- just real mild mannered- he was the first to point and hold till flush just over 4 months- she came along later but really caught on to the backing

healing up slowly- you figuring on having some play training coming up

pretty cool arround here- Roosters are strutting and the Britt's are pointing thru the fence- will try to get a picture as they come by 40 yards from the fence- problem is- I open the door those roosters are smart and quick to get- just had one walk by this window- thought to go get the camera and try a pic thru the glass

got a story to tell about a couple quail- I let two loose

i'm interested in the quail story...

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:58 am

I'm interested in getting out with you and that Britt- provided you carry that camera with you :D

when the pups were born I'd heard there was a place in Texas that had some quail they were trying to rid of so drove down and got 20
figured to work the pups in them- took one out for each pup when they were 2 months old- they located, pointed, held till flushed, and retrieved
so said heck- I'll keep the rest as my entertainment- got them in a couple homemade pens in front of the picture window- figure to let a few loose and see if they can survive-course the Britt's know they are there- pretty comical- pups creep, point, creep, point- other two come up- usually the big male slips up and points- we have backing and learning

last Saturday I let a male and female loose- again the Britt's were interested- as those two didn't really know what to do- they'd stand there- I'd try to shoo them away- they'd walk out a bit- I'm looking at the sky for hawks- Britt's are pointing thru the fence- female comes thru the fence- yikes- 4 Britt's charge and the chase is on- I get knocked over but jump up- somethings going on in the corner- HEY HEY bring it here- Choc takes off wqith Shadow try to get the bird out of his mouth- I'm running- well- anyway- good leason for the pups-

Candy is sitting- I'm trying to comand bring it here- Shadow comes prancing with pups all over him- I'm trying to get them settled down- Shadow releases the bird- she's alive!
I hold her walking to the cage- figure she deserves to be put back in with the others- open the slide- Shadow has his head inside under my arm- he wants birds!
exciting-

quail are all strirred up- Britt's are all stirred up- I'm about wore out-

hum- where is that male- I look- he's standing there 15" away on the other side of the fence- ahhhhhhh this isn't going to work-
Shadow- come with me- we go out the gate- he takes off blasting arround the corner- male quail decides yikes! and zips out aways- Shadow in full chase and goes to grab but tumbles with quail flying just off the ground- Shadow in full blown mode- quail goes 60 yards, lands, runs, with Shaow right there- I'm cracking up- get him Shadow-
quail zips my way, pups see it coming as it runs to the fence- pups are excited- want out- well why not- so in we go and come out with 4 Britt's-
quail zips thru the fence and into the yard, sure that these things are after him-

so now- 4 Britt's searching, wife is looking out the picture window with a frown on her face- quail is standing 20' away-
hum- if I can get him slip out the other side of the yard and into the brush/tall grass-
but nope- he slips thur the fence and walks along the side of the house- I climb the fence and follow- he's walking and stopping- I figure I can catch him
whoops, as I grab so does Shadow, hey now Shadow- give it to me- the pups come charging up- Shadow stands up with hius feet on me- I open his mouth and take the male quail-

ok guys! settle down, as we head around the house and into the yard- wait a minuet- could be a smart quail here- so I head to the corner and set him down in the tall grass and brush pile- he zips in- good enough

I've been feeding these quail a mixture- crushed dog food, wild bird seed, wheat, ( wheat left when they dumped the supposedly bad wheat that was left in the coverd truck last fall), and milo stalks for quite some time- so I started putting 1/2 cup by the cage outside the fence

haven't seen the male by Wednesday- hope he survives-

Thursday morning just as it starts getting light, all kinds of calling, we have a male quail standing just outside the fence and walks to the cage- starts eating-
I sneak out- reach in and take out a female- male is looking as female is making quite a bit of noise- I let her down inside the fence 6' from him- she stands there- I walk away and into the house- course all 4 Britt's have been watching thru the picture window and pretty much attack me- I watch that female- she hops up on the cage and stands-

not going to work- so I go out and try to get her to go with him- she stands- I reach down and pick her up- into the cage little one-

for the next 2 mornings he comes back and hangs arround the cage for a couple hours-

Saturday evening a quail is calling from the grass/brush area 50 yards away- well now- think he wants a female so I- get one and walk over to where he is- set her on the ground- she stands- I try to get her to get- again watching the sky- she walks 10' and stands- sheese- I touch her and she zips to the grass-

now if they'll just pair up and start hiding-
3 days I don't see or hear any calling

yesterday just as it gets light- here they come- male just in front- they stop by the tree- she stands- he walks up to the cage- feeds and walks part way back to her and stops- calls- she zips to him and they walk to the cage and begin feeding- you see- I put a little feed just outside the fence but by the cage- tub of water also- they hung arround for about an hour- then zipped back to the grass/brush

this morning- almost the same thing- think maybe these two can survive, raise a hatch-

wife says- all that so the hunters can kill them- well now- we'll see about that

couple days I'm going to let two more loose

southernblues

Post by southernblues » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:14 pm

Shadow wrote:I'm interested in getting out with you and that Britt- provided you carry that camera with you :D

when the pups were born I'd heard there was a place in Texas that had some quail they were trying to rid of so drove down and got 20
figured to work the pups in them- took one out for each pup when they were 2 months old- they located, pointed, held till flushed, and retrieved
so said heck- I'll keep the rest as my entertainment- got them in a couple homemade pens in front of the picture window- figure to let a few loose and see if they can survive-course the Britt's know they are there- pretty comical- pups creep, point, creep, point- other two come up- usually the big male slips up and points- we have backing and learning

last Saturday I let a male and female loose- again the Britt's were interested- as those two didn't really know what to do- they'd stand there- I'd try to shoo them away- they'd walk out a bit- I'm looking at the sky for hawks- Britt's are pointing thru the fence- female comes thru the fence- yikes- 4 Britt's charge and the chase is on- I get knocked over but jump up- somethings going on in the corner- HEY HEY bring it here- Choc takes off wqith Shadow try to get the bird out of his mouth- I'm running- well- anyway- good leason for the pups-

Candy is sitting- I'm trying to comand bring it here- Shadow comes prancing with pups all over him- I'm trying to get them settled down- Shadow releases the bird- she's alive!
I hold her walking to the cage- figure she deserves to be put back in with the others- open the slide- Shadow has his head inside under my arm- he wants birds!
exciting-

quail are all strirred up- Britt's are all stirred up- I'm about wore out-

hum- where is that male- I look- he's standing there 15" away on the other side of the fence- ahhhhhhh this isn't going to work-
Shadow- come with me- we go out the gate- he takes off blasting arround the corner- male quail decides yikes! and zips out aways- Shadow in full chase and goes to grab but tumbles with quail flying just off the ground- Shadow in full blown mode- quail goes 60 yards, lands, runs, with Shaow right there- I'm cracking up- get him Shadow-
quail zips my way, pups see it coming as it runs to the fence- pups are excited- want out- well why not- so in we go and come out with 4 Britt's-
quail zips thru the fence and into the yard, sure that these things are after him-

so now- 4 Britt's searching, wife is looking out the picture window with a frown on her face- quail is standing 20' away-
hum- if I can get him slip out the other side of the yard and into the brush/tall grass-
but nope- he slips thur the fence and walks along the side of the house- I climb the fence and follow- he's walking and stopping- I figure I can catch him
whoops, as I grab so does Shadow, hey now Shadow- give it to me- the pups come charging up- Shadow stands up with hius feet on me- I open his mouth and take the male quail-

ok guys! settle down, as we head around the house and into the yard- wait a minuet- could be a smart quail here- so I head to the corner and set him down in the tall grass and brush pile- he zips in- good enough

I've been feeding these quail a mixture- crushed dog food, wild bird seed, wheat, ( wheat left when they dumped the supposedly bad wheat that was left in the coverd truck last fall), and milo stalks for quite some time- so I started putting 1/2 cup by the cage outside the fence

haven't seen the male by Wednesday- hope he survives-

Thursday morning just as it starts getting light, all kinds of calling, we have a male quail standing just outside the fence and walks to the cage- starts eating-
I sneak out- reach in and take out a female- male is looking as female is making quite a bit of noise- I let her down inside the fence 6' from him- she stands there- I walk away and into the house- course all 4 Britt's have been watching thru the picture window and pretty much attack me- I watch that female- she hops up on the cage and stands-

not going to work- so I go out and try to get her to go with him- she stands- I reach down and pick her up- into the cage little one-

for the next 2 mornings he comes back and hangs arround the cage for a couple hours-

Saturday evening a quail is calling from the grass/brush area 50 yards away- well now- think he wants a female so I- get one and walk over to where he is- set her on the ground- she stands- I try to get her to get- again watching the sky- she walks 10' and stands- sheese- I touch her and she zips to the grass-

now if they'll just pair up and start hiding-
3 days I don't see or hear any calling

yesterday just as it gets light- here they come- male just in front- they stop by the tree- she stands- he walks up to the cage- feeds and walks part way back to her and stops- calls- she zips to him and they walk to the cage and begin feeding- you see- I put a little feed just outside the fence but by the cage- tub of water also- they hung arround for about an hour- then zipped back to the grass/brush

this morning- almost the same thing- think maybe these two can survive, raise a hatch-

wife says- all that so the hunters can kill them- well now- we'll see about that

couple days I'm going to let two more loose

great story! you'll have a big covey there in no time...be sure to keep run them hawks off if they start to swirl on ya :twisted:

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:07 pm

thanks- 34 degrees here all day, started out rain, sleet, then snow, now sleet rain

Candy isn't much to go out playing in this weather, Shadow, Lizzi, and Choc- "open the door we want out!"

two quail have been hanging arround the cage-
been interesting to watch them and the Britt's-

after a 3 hours I let them in, after wiping their feet of course- Choc jumped up on the couch- growled when Shadow and Lizzi wanted up

not sure- maybe those two quail want back in the cage- will check on them in the morning- think I'll let two more out- they seem to be pairing up and making nests in the cage

um- wife asked did I dry off the dogs- why sure did- toweled them dry and gave them a snack-