pointer guys

springpoint

pointer guys

Post by springpoint » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:50 am

I've been looking around at dogs and have been helping my friend train his dog, thus the pigeon question.

I really like the looks of pointers and i was wondering if pointers are a good dog for first time owner and handler.

thanks

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: pointer guys

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:58 am

really depends on the breeding program with any line of dogs out there the breeder should be breeding for biddable dogs
So more then the breed look to the breeders program :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:05 am

In my opinion pointers are the most natural hunting dogs that I have personally ever owned. They do not seem to require near as much training as many other breeds and seem to pick up on what you want faster than other breeds. That being said they do seem to require more reining in in the field to keep them at a closer range but I get most of my dogs from horseback trialers other than the pup that I kept that I bred myself but even she runs fairly big. Even then I like to let them run big when quail hunting. It is only when pheasant hunting that I like them to hunt a bit closer. If you don't mind a bigger running, faster moving, birdie, natural hunting dog then by all means get you a pointer. :wink:

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:13 am

They can be if you buy from the right lines and he has at least a basic understanding of how to trian and handle a dog.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:52 am

Springpoint -

IF you are willing and able to spend the time with a youngster to get it to think the sun rises and sets in you and really and truly get the dog to like you, there is very little a pointer cannot do for you in the upland.

Pointers are, by their nature, independent seekers of game and very, very focused on finding game. Even the most biddable of lines will still have an independent streak in them and some of the more high powered lines have dogs that, if you sawed off their legs at the first joint...the dogs would hunt the rest of the day on the bloody stumps. Theier spirit can be indomitable.

That is why it is so crucial for the pointer owner to get the dog to really, really like them and respect them...very early on. If a pointer likes you it will go to the ends of the earth AND BACK for you. If it doesn't like you or respect you it will eventually give you the 'ol fazoole.

Pointers come out of the birth canal with more desire and drive to find birds than any other breed of dog I know. Certain lines are so easy to break that they can be pointing and holding birds before they are one year old. Many pointers are so focused and intent on finding birds that they will forgive and shake off training mistakes and discipline that would shut down an probably ruin other dogs.

Pointers will push the envelope in their efforts to find birds, but if you are consistent, insitent, fair and patient, the dog will adjust to your range and hunt its heart out for you. They will, very often test your patience and test your resolve, but it is all worth it...at least I think so and I have always had pointers...never wanted anything else in the way of bird dogs.

RayG

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:19 pm

Yes, most of my friends from back in the south started with pointers....and still have them now.

fordman

Post by fordman » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:05 pm

I like my pointer coverdog breeding, and I have had setters all my life. The most athletic dog I have ever had, and tough. While in ND last fall I stop to talk to another hunter the pointer was just standing there which seemed odd so we both looked down at her and she had a cactus stuck on every foot I don' know how lond they were there, usually a setter tries to bite them off.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:42 pm

fordman wrote:I like my pointer coverdog breeding, and I have had setters all my life. The most athletic dog I have ever had, and tough. While in ND last fall I stop to talk to another hunter the pointer was just standing there which seemed odd so we both looked down at her and she had a cactus stuck on every foot I don' know how lond they were there, usually a setter tries to bite them off.

Give me a break. :roll: :D
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

springpoint

Post by springpoint » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:44 pm

thanks guys i'm looking for a dog to hunt grouse so want a close to medium range dog, do you guys have any suggestions on breeders or bloodlines that i should look into, for this type of dog.

thanks

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:52 pm

Certain lines are so easy to break that they can be pointing and holding birds before they are one year old.
Under a year...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap_RKNUj8GY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWYXsfuJU6I

...nuff said. :D

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:33 pm

springpoint wrote:thanks guys i'm looking for a dog to hunt grouse so want a close to medium range dog, do you guys have any suggestions on breeders or bloodlines that i should look into, for this type of dog.

thanks

Oh yep, definately NSTRA right Matt :D :lol:

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:51 pm

you might think about buying a started dog for your first....they will be off to a good start and
be your best buddy in no time just like a pup. You will have to do the same due diligence or more
to make sure you get what you want, but for the money and for a first timer might be the way to go.

Just a thought.

BTW- There is no other pointing dogs other than a english pointer in my future, I love em hunting and in the house.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:21 pm

I agree totally with Ray and with Birddog. Everything Ray said is true and right now I have my 9 year old setter and 4 pointers. I have tried numerous other breeds of dog and only pointers seem to give me what I want. Fortunately for me I live in a target rich environment when it comes to finding top notch pointers.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:25 pm

Fortunately for me I live in a target rich environment when it comes to finding top notch pointers.
The beauty is that you can find top notch Pointers everywhere.

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:43 pm

ymepointer wrote:
springpoint wrote:thanks guys i'm looking for a dog to hunt grouse so want a close to medium range dog, do you guys have any suggestions on breeders or bloodlines that i should look into, for this type of dog.

thanks

Yep, those NSTRA line such as Fiddler, Rebel or anything Miller, etc. :lol:

springpoint

Post by springpoint » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:13 pm

thanks for the replies guys the thing that has drawn me to pointers is there looks but also there seems to be well bred dogs everywhere.

thanks

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:35 pm

springpoint wrote:...looking for a dog to hunt grouse so want a close to medium range dog, do you guys have any suggestions on breeders or bloodlines...
You have one in your backyard (MI that is). Contact Bruce Minard...he is very successful in the Cover dog world...with pointers. http://www.hifivekennels.com/home.htm So is Bob Ecker http://www.midnightkennel.com/ and Tom Waite http://www.dalecreekgundogs.com/

All in the Midwest (not that that should matter :) )

My new pointer is from Tom and has had 30+ grouse shot over her in 2 years

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:38 pm

The 2 pups I just got come from a fella that runs a lot of NSTRA trials here in OKlahoma but most of the other pointers I have had come from guys who run horseback trials in Texas. I liked the bloodlines of these pups though and they are gorgeous little black and white pups. Bloodlines are bloodlines no matter what trials the breeders run.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:35 pm

Those are two beautiful pups. Nice looking heads.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:25 pm

Thanks the male with the narrow blaze, I am going to keep as a hunting dog and stud dog and the female I am going to try and sell as a pup but if not I am going to start her on some wild quail and pheasant this spring and summer and sell her as a started dog later on. Thanks for the compliments.

smokinsam

Post by smokinsam » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:41 pm

ymepointer wrote:

thanks

GREAT!
lets not do this again

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:43 pm

springpoint wrote:I've been looking around at dogs and have been helping my friend train his dog, thus the pigeon question.

I really like the looks of pointers and i was wondering if pointers are a good dog for first time owner and handler.

thanks
I would say that any breed could be good if it came from a top breeding program that breeds the "temprement" you are looking for as the breeder knows his dogs and the temprement they throw and could tell you if they are what you are looking for. I am a shorthair fan myself and think they are great beginner dogs as they tend to not be as long range but pointers do have such a great natural instinct. I have seen some shorthairs that were too much dog for people and some that were just right and i have seen some shorthairs needing a ton of training and some that almost trained themselves and i am sure this could be found in any breed if you do your homework and research top breeding kennels. I love all pointing dogs and if you see enough you will notice variances in each breed with regards to the "typical" temprement and style. go out and watch dogs work from several breeds if you can and get a feel for each breeds "typical" characteristics and go from there. dont go by what people "tell you".....go see the dogs work and see first hand what you like and what will work for you. :)

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:14 pm

Sprig wrote:
springpoint wrote:I've been looking around at dogs and have been helping my friend train his dog, thus the pigeon question.

thanks
I would say that any breed could be good if it came from a top breeding program that breeds the "temprement" you are looking for as the breeder knows his dogs and the temprement they throw and could tell you if they are what you are looking for. I am a shorthair fan myself and think they are great beginner dogs as they tend to not be as long range but pointers do have such a great natural instinct. I have seen some shorthairs that were too much dog for people and some that were just right and i have seen some shorthairs needing a ton of training and some that almost trained themselves and i am sure this could be found in any breed if you do your homework and research top breeding kennels. I love all pointing dogs and if you see enough you will notice variances in each breed with regards to the "typical" temprement and style. go out and watch dogs work from several breeds if you can and get a feel for each breeds "typical" characteristics and go from there. dont go by what people "tell you".....go see the dogs work and see first hand what you like and what will work for you. :)
Good post Sprig. I wanted to say the same thing but couldn't find the right words, without people thinking I was anti pointer. I love them all, although shorthairs and pointers are my favorites. Ofcourse, those are the only breeds I have had. :D

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:31 pm

Except that it's a Pointer thread guys.... :roll:

springpoint

Post by springpoint » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:30 pm

i think i got what you guys are saying, just look for the breeder that is breeding what your looking for and go with them.

thanks guys

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:49 pm

Except that it's a Pointer thread guys....

It's just there's only so much you can really say about 'em before enthusiasm in the thread just dies out and you gotta look to the GSP folk to keep it alive. Surprised it made it two pages really...also surprised nobody used the phrase "dime a dozen" anywhere... 8) 8) :lol: :lol:

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:51 pm

Yawallac wrote:Except that it's a Pointer thread guys.... :roll:
The question was, is a pointer a good choice for a first time owner/handler? So, no other breeds should be mentioned? :roll:

Charlie

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:54 pm

DGFavor wrote:
Except that it's a Pointer thread guys....

It's just there's only so much you can really say about 'em before enthusiasm in the thread just dies out and you gotta look to the GSP folk to keep it alive. Surprised it made it two pages really...also surprised nobody used the phrase "dime a dozen" anywhere... 8) 8) :lol: :lol:
Are you guys paranoid or what? We mean no harm to you. :lol:

Charlie

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:13 pm

The question was, is a Pointer a good choice for a first time owner/handler?
It wasn't, "Is a GSP a good choice for a first time owner?", especially, when everyone already knows that a GSP is a great starter dog, even Doug could train one. :mrgreen:

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:39 pm

i have a shorthair that can find birds that arent there son!
You just proved that you're delusional! :lol:

(Just having a little fun guys.)

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:58 am

Just trying to answer the question by saying that any breed you prefer is a good choice, as long as you do your homework first. So the bottom line is yes, a POINTER will make a great first dog. :D

Good luck,
Charlie

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:32 am

Charlie I really expected Ron to post on this topic but I haven't heard from him. :wink:

Kind of surprising. :)

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:55 am

A man ain't got nothing if he don't have a Case pocket knife, a Browning shotgun, and an English Pointer birddog. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ron
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:26 pm

That's more like it Ron. :lol:

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:07 pm

Ron R wrote:A man ain't got nothing if he don't have a Case pocket knife, a Browning shotgun, and an English Pointer birddog. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ron
I didn't know you had a Case pocket knife and a Browning shotgun Ron. :? Maybe several Pointers makes up for it. :D

Charlie