Ultra Sounds?

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Ultra Sounds?

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:48 pm

Are Ultra sounds at 25 days reliable or can they miss pups or can a limited experienced Vet miss the pups at that age?

Mercy was done, she said no puppies. I saw five round circles, but I know absolutely nothing. I am just hoping she is wrong.
:cry:
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

jlp8cornell

Re: Ultra Sounds?

Post by jlp8cornell » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:51 am

Ultrasound at 25 days is standard. My question would be---how many times has the vet does this procedure? I would want someone who does this regularly and know what they are looking at. If you are in doubt, you should go elsewhere.

jhoughton

Post by jhoughton » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:52 am

At 25 days, you should at a minimum hear heart beats and see some pups. You may not be able to count all of them, an Xray is much better for this later on. If you saw circles, there is a good chance you have pups, but you should have heard the hearts beating...

DeadwoodDogs

Post by DeadwoodDogs » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:40 am

Been a while since I had an ultrasound done but I agree the experience of the vet plays into it. However, I would think nearly any vet could confirm pregnancy - counting puppies is another story. I've had experienced vets miscount using ultrasound and with Xray.
Deadwood Kennels
Versatile Gun Dog Training & German Shorthaired Pointers

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:31 am

The big question is whether you got the days right. An ultrasound performed too early would be the biggest problem. The last ultrasound I had done was clear as a bell & exactly correct for the number of pups. I may be remembering incorrectly but it sticks in my mind that the vet wanted to do it at 31 days.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:27 am

Thanks all:

I know her days exactly that she was bred. April 1 did A-I, and we think there was a natural tie that morning, (swollen soar, and the Male was Red and) Had at least 10ML inserted. Then we did another A-I on April 3 (another 14ml). Then we had a natural tie that lasted 15 minutes on April 4. We did the Ultra Sound on the April 28th.

It just may not meant to be or inexperienced or what ever.

Thanks,
Rick

Rick

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:03 am

Time will tell for sure. Between the hormone level checks, the AI & the ultrasound that's a lot of money to spend for no pups.
Has this bitch conceived before? What did the semen analysis look like? Did you have negative brucellosis results for both dogs? Just curious.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:22 pm

Mark;
The Vet showed me the semen and he said looked real good very motile right full every part of the screen. The vet said he had never seen one drop with so many strong swimmers. (paraphrasing).
She and he were both neg on Brucelleous.
She had conceived once before the only time we had a tie, however only produced one pup. Her mom had small litters never more than 8 but mostly around 6.
The Vet is also very experienced at the AI. (The Vet that did the Ultra sound is my home town Vet not him). I am going to call him tomorrow to get his opinion. He felt Mercy was in true standing heat as we did many Vaginals swaps and he saw the timing was correct and he felt good about it all. Mercy is old 9 but in great shape. Normal heat cycle. It seemed that this was all lining up right. We will wait and see.
Thanks
Rick

Rick

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:42 pm

Rick,

I kinda figured you had all of the bases covered. Let us know if you get any good news.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:02 am

Mark thanks for the help. I will let you know. I should have done this much earlier in her life, but the timing was just not right.

Rick