traping pigeons

birddogsunlimited

traping pigeons

Post by birddogsunlimited » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:17 am

ok this should be a simple task near as i can tell its prety strait forward bait the trap come back later and check on it right. well ive been trying for almost 2 weeks and nothing. so im wondering how do others that trap them go about doing it what type of food for bait and what not
rossi ann. gsp
mavrick gsp
willow gsp
Charlie yellow lab
kimber yellow lab
barrett yellow lab
mikey choc. lab r.i.p buddy

ymepointer

Re: traping pigeons

Post by ymepointer » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:21 pm

First place trap in elevated postion like on a roof or bridge support structure near where a flock is hanging out. (I used to trap them for a friend of mine on the middle support of a bridge in Eugene, Oregon.) Then place the trap UPSIDE DOWN so the trap door is laying open. Then place a pile of Scratch or other bait in the middle and then spread some around to the outside of the trap and create a little path of feed to the pile in the middle Wild pigeons are pretty easy to trap if you do it right but you will need to give some feed away free to hook them on your food source.Check back the next day or so...trap should be empty of feed which indicates they are using your food. Do this for a few days , then flip trap over and rebaiit it and it should be full of birds the next time you check it.

Tom Lyles

Post by Tom Lyles » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:56 pm

that's the way i've caught them. i have a buddy that does not have a place to keep birds so when he needs them he has an over pass that holds birds. he nets them early in the morning while they are still on the roost, uses them and they fly back to the over pass. does not have to feed, clean cages, etc.. pretty cool deal.

Pineywoods

Post by Pineywoods » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:46 pm

You could always try this

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpH6fRZnpSE)

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:57 pm

Tom Lyles wrote:that's the way i've caught them. i have a buddy that does not have a place to keep birds so when he needs them he has an over pass that holds birds. he nets them early in the morning while they are still on the roost, uses them and they fly back to the over pass. does not have to feed, clean cages, etc.. pretty cool deal.
That's cool. Homers to a home other than yours!!

birddogsunlimited

Post by birddogsunlimited » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:29 pm

ive been looking at trying to get elevated to catch them good idea with fliping the cage ill give that a try. theres not really a way to get up in the old flower mill were ive been trying to catch them with out a lader and im not sure the city would apreciate me taking the extension lader down to get up on the uper level. i did find out there are a bunch nesting up on the hardware store so im going to talk to the owner about getting up there. ive checked with some guys im on the fire department with that farm and they said once they start puting up haylage and grain in the bins they will have tons of birds around and i can come try to catch as many as i cans. so i have some options i think i just need to scout around for a better location
rossi ann. gsp
mavrick gsp
willow gsp
Charlie yellow lab
kimber yellow lab
barrett yellow lab
mikey choc. lab r.i.p buddy

hardlinedrives

Post by hardlinedrives » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:51 am

Good info on flipping the trap upside down. Can you ever get them on the ground this way or do you have to go to their roost?

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:53 pm

a regular poster on another board suggested adding a dove decoy inside the trap. he says it rally helps.