Bayer Tree and Shrub for Fleas and Ticks

SCKennel

Bayer Tree and Shrub for Fleas and Ticks

Post by SCKennel » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:40 am

Has anyone tried using Bayer Tree and Shrub for Fleas and Ticks? I have googled this product and have seen mixed results. Just wanted to know if anyone is using it and how much have you been putting on. Thanks!

SCKWEST

Re: Bayer Tree and Shrub for Fleas and Ticks

Post by SCKWEST » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:06 pm

I use it and have friends that have been using it for yrs. i simply put it in a spray bottle and spray the dog down well. i have never heard of any side effects or anything bad coming from the use of this product. it works well and is cost efficient and more potent than advantage with the same active ingredient. goodluck,sckwest

SCKennel

Post by SCKennel » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:26 pm

Thank you for the info!

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:57 pm

Pretty interesting topic....something to look into for sure...never would have guessed it was the same active ingredient.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:12 pm

Even if it is the same active ingredients there can be a large difference in refinement and quality. Make sure you know what you are dealing with and not just read the label.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

SCKWEST

Post by SCKWEST » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:52 pm

i have known many people that use this and have for a few years and i have never heard of anything negative. i will be spraying mine down again with it tomorrow. goodluck, sckwest

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:45 pm

SCKWEST wrote:i have known many people that use this and have for a few years and i have never heard of anything negative. i will be spraying mine down again with it tomorrow. goodluck, sckwest
This is the most bizarre thread I have ever seen. Ezzy was nice in his comment but I think he was saying you are playing with fire. First off, you are just lucky with ticks because that compound only kills fleas, not ticks. Second, I know guys that swore the best way to worm a dog was shoving a wad of Levi Garret down the dog's throat. "Oh yeah, Sal used it for years with no problems".

Would you do that?

tn red

Post by tn red » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:09 pm

mcbosco wrote:
SCKWEST wrote:i have known many people that use this and have for a few years and i have never heard of anything negative. i will be spraying mine down again with it tomorrow. goodluck, sckwest
This is the most bizarre thread I have ever seen. Ezzy was nice in his comment but I think he was saying you are playing with fire. First off, you are just lucky with ticks because that compound only kills fleas, not ticks. Second, I know guys that swore the best way to worm a dog was shoving a wad of Levi Garret down the dog's throat. "Oh yeah, Sal used it for years with no problems".

Would you do that?
Try raw tobacco to worm horses sometime :P when all else fails try it you will be amazed at the results.I dont know if it works on dogs but most all other horse wormers do.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:09 am

Here is the label. What makes up the other 98.53% of this product that you are putting on your dogs. I cannot believe what people do here to save a buck. Incredible.
original_Tree_Shrub_Insect_Control_1gal_CON-3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:47 am

SCKWEST,

How much do you figure you save per dog each year using this?

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:53 am

SCKWEST,

Ezzy
I assume to know where you might be going with this. Even if you save $100/yr, is it worth exposing your dog to potential toxins and carcinogens? What makes up the rest of the product? And as Sal said, Imidacloprid does not touch ticks.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:55 am

jlp8cornell wrote:
SCKWEST,

Ezzy
I assume to know where you might be going with this. Even if you save $100/yr, is it worth exposing your dog to potential toxins and carcinogens? What makes up the rest of the product? And as Sal said, Imidacloprid does not touch ticks.
I really wasn't going anywhere with it other than wondering how much they saved and is it worth taking the risk if that figure is only a few dollars per dog which I am kind of assuming might be the case. Think a chemical designed for plants is pretty much a stretch to use on animals from what I know about the farm chemical business. It probably works but why experiment on your dog and take that risk.

Ezzy

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:56 am

Oh..OK. That was my point as well. :D

jayhawkj

Post by jayhawkj » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:41 pm

My dogs are worth way to much for me to worry about saving a few dollars on flea and tick control.

SCKWEST

Post by SCKWEST » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:20 pm

someone on here asked about it and i just added that i personally use it and i personally know people that have used it on there dogs for a few years. as far as how valuable your dogs are that has nothing to do with it. at onetime i had around 50k in dogs and still would save money where possible. some of the more expensive dog food brands can be garbage,but since they have good marketing people assume their great. i guess people that ue ivomec injectable for cattle to worm dogs instead of buying dog wormer don't care about their unvaluable dogs either. i take care of my own dogs and don't spend money at the vet either, hope noone turns me in , LOL!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:23 pm

So how much cheaper is it?

Ezzy

SCKWEST

Post by SCKWEST » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:43 pm

i would estimate it's approximately 75% cheaper. I use to be able to get dog feed that was a mixture of all the brands at a feed mill that were the bottom of the feed bins. don't remember the exact brands but an example would be high pro, gravy train, puppy food, etc just all mixed together. it would come in plain brown bag and was $6per bag and no tax, best of all the dogs looked great on it. at another time we use to get feed straight from purina that would be plain bagged and it was their test feed. it was purchased for .05 cents per pound or 2.50 per 50lbs. we didn't know what was in it and you had to buy it in large bulk amounts and sign a contract that you would not resale it. purina would sell most of their test feed to large hog farms and they'd use it. once again the dogs looked good and never a problem, of course since it came from purina you went with the assumption that nothing bad was going to be in there. like most people of course i use horse wormer or in the case of ivomec that would be cattle wormer, i will use fish antibiotics, and several other things from time to time to save money. i believe that my dogs are probably as valuable as most any out there. however, i don't doubt that there are people that care for their animals more than i do. i love my dogs, but they are just that dogs! they are livestock in my opinion and i don't equate them to humans. the money i can save on items for dogs when another product works just as well is money i can put into my family. goodluck and if this advice can help someone out great and if you don't want to try it simply don't. by the way i have been feeding and breeding dogs for 25 yrs so i am speaking from experience and associaton that i have had with other breeders over the years. sckwest

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:09 pm

One quart of that is about $30. 6 months of Advantage is about $65, 4 months $50. Frontline is $60 for six months, but Frontline is effective on ticks while the other two are not. The flea season in NJ is 3 months if that long. So far I have used one dose of Frontline ($10) since the spring so experimenting with a product designed to last 12 months on plants doesn't work for me.

The examples of dog food & ivermectin are very very different than using a garden product on an animal, not even remotely comparable.

So you just spray it on the dogs?

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:22 pm

however, i don't doubt that there are people that care for their animals more than i do. i love my dogs, but they are just that dogs!
Contradiction in terms but that's fine....

Still would never in a million years use a garden product where >95% is of unknown ingredients. But to each his own.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:33 am

It's being used by many many dog owners, the other ingredients are nitrogen, phosphorus and pot ash, you wanna use it? Use it, you don't like it? Don't use it.
Sal you must live in the highest priced county in the states....$30/quart? It's about one third of that here.
Sevin dust? Ever use it on your dogs straw bedding in a dog box? Been using it for years I am sure the dogs get it all over them as well.

SCKWEST,
Dad worked for Purina for 20 some years and we would also get the brown bag food, and you are correct in that it was what they were experimenting with the mix. Dad told me later it turned out to be what we now know as PMI feed.....Good stuff dogs did well on it.

JMO,

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:52 am

lvrgsp wrote:It's being used by many many dog owners, the other ingredients are nitrogen, phosphorus and pot ash, you wanna use it? Use it, you don't like it? Don't use it.
Sal you must live in the highest priced county in the states....$30/quart? It's about one third of that here.
Sevin dust? Ever use it on your dogs straw bedding in a dog box? Been using it for years I am sure the dogs get it all over them as well.

SCKWEST,
Dad worked for Purina for 20 some years and we would also get the brown bag food, and you are correct in that it was what they were experimenting with the mix. Dad told me later it turned out to be what we now know as PMI feed.....Good stuff dogs did well on it.

JMO,

That's what it costs, $30. I use flea and tick stuff as required not on a regular basis. It hasn't rained here in over 2 months now and there isn't a flea or tick in sight so I am not going to bother. My dog (and past dogs) sleep in the house and outside I have a webbed cot for him so no pesticides are required.

I really don't see the value in that product because it will do nothing for ticks anyway. By the way Nitrogen, Phosphorus and pot ash are fertilizers.

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:12 am

So how much cheaper is it?

Ezzy

It's $20 here at my Lowe's and the same online at Amazon for 1qt of conc.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:56 am

Not doubting what it cost you Sal, as a matter of fact I would expect that coming for the north east, everything is more expensive that way.
I know very well that those are fertilizers, it's the same thing I put on my yard in the form of Scotts weed n feed that the dogs tend to roll in, funny I'm still waiting for their hair to grow out some :lol:
We've had no rain here for 2 weeks either (although everything around me has been hit) but there are still fleas n ticks, and agreed not the best product for ticks.....And if anybody at my house is gonna have a webbed cot for sleeping outside, it would be me not my dog..... :wink:

Here again JMO

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:08 am

ALOT of people have been using this on their dogs for ALOT of years (including myself) with exactly ZERO problems. Most that use this probobally use it more for the results rather than to save money. I do understand the concern if you have never heard of this but it is unwarrented in this case. I do believe that a person SHOULD question and investigate anything that they are not familiar with but to assume that someone doesn't care for or love their dogs because they use something that is unfamiliar to another is a little silly IMO.
lvrgsp wrote:Sevin dust? Ever use it on your dogs straw bedding in a dog box?
I have used sevin dust for years as well.....Great Stuff.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

SCKWEST

Post by SCKWEST » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:49 pm

Cornell there was no contradiction. i stated "however, i don't doubt that there are people that care for their animals more than i do. i love my dogs, but they are just that dogs"! I was stating that dogs are just that dogs and that around here they are not to be compared to people. Also i stated that there are people on this board that care for their animals more than I do. Many on here consider their dogs part of the family and they sleep on the couch and ride front seat in the truck and by all means that is great and there is nothing wrong with that. I do love my dogs as dogs, not nowhere as to how I feel about my family. I take great pride in my dogs and they recieve good care. As for the price issue I just purchased a new qt bottle of bayer tree and shrub 3days ago and i believe it was $20.00 actually 19.97. A large bottle of frontline i believer runs around $50 and is half the size. advantage runs $53 for a 4pk to treat a dog from 21-55 dogs. All of my dogs fall in that range. I will use 1large bottle of frontline each time I spray. I have never used advantage but it appears obvious that it would cost $53 to treat 4dogs. That $20 bottle of Bayer tree and shrub will treat about 25 dogs twice. So lets figure 50 dogs for $20 as compared to advantage or advantix would cost approximately $150, gee that is quite a bit of saving. I know that frontline and advantage etc list their active ingredient, but do they list all the other 99% ingredients in their products? Once again goodluck and for someone that is thrifty you may want to do your own research on this product and give it a try. sckwest

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:50 pm

Cornell there was no contradiction.
I misread your post. Sorry.

Still.....would not use but...like I said to each his own.

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:40 am

I haven't used it myself--knock wood, we've never had fleas--but I know many, many people who have used it successfully for years. In addition to the price and effectiveness, after you treat your dog, you can also treat the yard :D

Aline
http://zzfarms.com
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

SCKennel

Post by SCKennel » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:29 am

Thanks for your reply SCKWEST ! I simply asked if anyone has been using this product to begin with. As for Mr. Cornell, if you do not want to use it, simply do not use it. Do'nt belittle anyone who uses it with good results!

jlp8cornell

Post by jlp8cornell » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:09 pm

As for Mr. Cornell, if you do not want to use it, simply do not use it. Do'nt belittle anyone who uses it with good results!
Ms. not Mr. Thanks though.

And I never belittled you. Just said I would not use it. You are the one who asked....