Enclosed Dog Trailer?

rapid fire

Enclosed Dog Trailer?

Post by rapid fire » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:24 am

I've been pondering on the idea of turning enclosed trailers into dog trailers. The boxes would exit to the outside and the inside would still have room for plenty of storage, supplies, bunk, etc.... All boxes would have wash drains and probably lined w/ linex type material so they could be hosed out. The options for a custom trailer would be pretty much endless. I see the price being about half that of a nice aluminum dog trailer. Would there be any interest at all or would I be wasting my time?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Enclosed Dog Trailer?

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:01 am

I have looked at that very thing for myself and think it would be some work but could be made into the ultimate hunting trailer with boxes for your dogs and equipment and a place to sit, rest, and have coffee out of the wind and elements.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

JKP

Post by JKP » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:16 am

How do you minimize the dust? Just seems wherever we go in the Dakotas, there is always a "rooster tail" of dust behind the truck? Those things fairly tight? Not worried about the heat so much as we are always out west in Oct/Nov.

rapid fire

Post by rapid fire » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:39 am

I would think you would have to put covers over the dog doors while traveling down dirt roads. The rear doors are usually water tight. I agree that doing it right would take quite a bit of work.

windswept

Post by windswept » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:24 am

That does sound interesting. Why not use crates that open inside the trailer? They could be easily removed for cleaning and you wouldn't have the dust issue to deal with.
I think you are on to something.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:39 am

windswept wrote:That does sound interesting. Why not use crates that open inside the trailer? They could be easily removed for cleaning and you wouldn't have the dust issue to deal with.
I think you are on to something.
Exactly. Either crates or built in dog boxes up front with a ventilator on the roof or where ever to bring in all of the air the dogs need. Preferably have a side door on the trailer. And you still have room for the 4 wheeler and a place to sit and rest while in the field. The trailer would be usuful year round for many different applications.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ridge-Point

Post by Ridge-Point » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:29 pm

I use a 7x14 double axle enclosed trailer for elk and bird hunting. I have a bunk bed built in the front of the trailer, can fit 3 large crates under the first bunk. I also have a removeable crate shelf that holds 6 more. I can fit 9 dogs and two 4 wheelers, or my entire elk hunting camp. My next project is to install an AC unit in one of the air vents so I can keep the dogs cool if we are camping with electricity or have a generator. My trailer has an RV style side door that can be locked and unlocked on the inside. I put some heavy duty carpeting on the floor which can be rolled up and taken out. It get's a little dusty inside on gravel roads, but it's not too bad.