Truck advice

Ecw21

Truck advice

Post by Ecw21 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:08 pm

Hey everyone...I'm going to be purchasing a pickup truck in the next couple weeks and thought I would reach out for opinions.

I have narrowed it down to an F150, 2008 or newer. The debate is whether I should get a Supercrew (4 doors) or just a Supercab. Any feedback on which one you like or would trade if you could. I do live in the city of Chicago but parking isn't an issue for me. 99% of the time, it will be just me and my dog in the truck. I usually carry 1 buddy for hunting. My thought is that the Supercab with suicide doors is totally adequate for me and the pup. I have a Brittany and hunt most weekends in October, November, and December. The rear of the cab would be her area.

Also, I'm leaning towards a leather interior for easy of cleaning and low retention of odor. This is my daily driver as well so want to make sure I can keep it pretty clean most of the year. Kicking around getting a topper for the winter so I can put the pup in the back during hunts. Also, I will tow a Ranger bass boat with this vehicle as well...everything I read says the towing capacity is great.

Any truck suggestions? Tips?

Thanks everyone!

Eric

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Truck advice

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:32 pm

Crew Cab..it is nice to have the extra room specially for the people the ford has the most room

Do you have any plans on pulling anything and if so what...If you are might consider the 250 for regular type pulling ..we have the 350 and I wish we would have gotten 450 ...we pull very heavy and the 350 does it but the 450 would do it better with less stress on the engine
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:40 pm

3/4 ton crew cab at least. You can never have enough truck.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:46 pm

Without a load the 150 rides like a car, 250 rides like a truck, 350 rides like being in the saddle on a trotting horse & the 450 rides like a cement truck. :lol:

If you can predict you will never have a back seat passenger you won't need my personal favorite - the crew cab. Which version has higher resale value?
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

daniel77

Post by daniel77 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:03 pm

Once you have a crew cab for a while, you'll wonder how you ever got along with only a supercab. I've currently got my first truck with leather, and like it very much. I'm also a 3/4 ton guy, but mine is a work truck pulling trailers most of my miles. Good luck.
Two cannibals were eating a clown. One looks up at the other and says, "Does this taste funny to you?"

blanked

Post by blanked » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:04 pm

the ranger has lots of bells and whistles . too nice to tow behind a F150 :D

birddogsunlimited

Post by birddogsunlimited » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:35 pm

go with the supercrew its alot nicer to not need it and have it than need it and not have it.
rossi ann. gsp
mavrick gsp
willow gsp
Charlie yellow lab
kimber yellow lab
barrett yellow lab
mikey choc. lab r.i.p buddy

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:37 pm

F150 super cab. Extended Cab. The super crew I think will be hard to find in an 8' bed and the short box is less than 6 feet or at least shorter than the extended. The Extended at least gives you a full 6'. If you are mostly riding and not towing any more than a small horse trailer or camper trailer you will be more than adequate. 3/4 ton is tougher to ride in on dirt roads and gets worse with a one ton. I also would make sure it has the 5.4.
Most come with the 3.55 gears. It will be tough to find but 3;73 or so is better in my opinion.

I am all about comfort on my butt.

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:20 pm

Super crew if you are hauling people regularly but the super cab is fine for energecy or dogs. The 150 is the way to go unless you would be towing a lot of big heavy trailers. For a boat you will have no problem at all. I have the super crew and it is nice but seldom needed and more box would be more useful.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:02 pm

Ecw21,

Give any thought to a diesel engine? As your primary ride might get you better mileage.

DougB

Post by DougB » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:25 pm

Measure your garage for available room. I have a 97 short box with the standard cab, and occasionally could use the extended cab. Never had a need for the 4 door. 186000 miles and going strong. Unless you are going to do heavy pulling or haul really heavy loads, the 150 handles household chores (wood, dirt, garden supplies,brush, and just running) real well. Mine has been filled level with black dirt, and handled the weight with no problem.
Why own a dog? There's a danger you know,

You can't own just one, for the craving will grow.

There's no doubt they're addictive, wherein lies the danger.

While living with lots, you'll grow poorer and stranger.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:14 pm

I have had regular cab trucks my entire life and after buying an extended cab a month ago im not sure how i ever got buy with out the extra room. and to be honest my next one will probly be a four door. my buddy just got a 07 f150 its a shotr bed with that cute little half 10in back window and it is basically a waste of a truck. he has an 1860 john boat, and his ford will barely stop it with out trailor brakes. If you use a dog box I recomend at least a 6ft bed especally if you travel to hunt Ive always had 8ft beds and found I didnt have enough room all the time for equipment.
that said I find it hard to recomend the added maintenance and cost of buying a diesel truck unless you truely have a need to haul heavy laods long distance, especially when you consider that the average gas 1/2ton gasser gets 15-20mpg.....
Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

gdog

Post by gdog » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:16 pm

Toyota if your looking for a 1/2 ton

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:22 pm

I have an ext cab full size truck. Now sitting in the penalty box in the back never bothers me since I don't sit back there. passengers complain some. If you have to haul 3 people then you have to have a tool box or topper for luggage etc. I would drive my truck for 250,000 miles if it was a crew cab. Will probably sell in the next few years for the extra space. Most driving is just me as daily driver, but even a couple people to ride to lunch at work reminds me why I wish I had the crew cab. How much are you really going to haul in the bed? You can't add more room inside the truck but a few hundred bucks and you can get a utility trailer or rent a uhaul every once in a while.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:43 am

MikeB wrote:Ecw21,

Give any thought to a diesel engine? As your primary ride might get you better mileage.
A few years a go I figure took two vehicles Chevy 1/2ton 4X4 same packages except deisle and 3/4 ton. Using my driving mileage and the current gas price, the current diesel price, the 5.3 motor and the chevy diesel milage claims. I forget now what the price diff was in the two vehicle was but seems to me it was around $6 or 7 thousand. It would have taken me 7 years to break even on the price diff of the two vehicles. (50,000 miles)

The new gas vehicles get pretty good mileage. My Chevy that has 290,000 miles still gets and average of 16 mpgand I can baby it to 18mpg.

The best the diesle will do on average is around 17 to 20 mpg.

Just a thought. Would have to do the math out again to be accurate for the diff now.

Rick

kylenicholas02

Post by kylenicholas02 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:31 am

gdog wrote:Toyota if your looking for a 1/2 ton
What a joke... Are we real Americans here?
KN

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:25 am

kylenicholas02 wrote:
Kyle, you would be amazed at how many GM, Ford, Dodge, Harley ect. vehicle makes are not made in America. Very Sickining. I am a Ford man though :D .
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:51 am

Here are my thoughts......first I would weigh the price difference in the supercab(Ford lingo for Ext. Cab) vs the supercrew, what is the difference in the two that your looking at? How many passengers are going to be in the back of the scab? If your not going to have that mnay folks in the back seat and the price difference is substantial, then my vote is the scab. I own a f-150 scab leather 120,000 and love it, the back seats fold up for tons of storage for me anyway.
I use my bed all the time from tieing dog boxes down to hauling wood off the farm I've cut to a 12' john boat in the back, concrete, rock, dirt, I abuse that truck and it is built Ford Tough ( Yea that was a cheesy plug in... :D ). Down the road I am gonna get a topper on it, and use the trailer more often...
What I would love to see is Ford to put the freakin 4cyl diesel in the trucks here stateside, or bring back that Torquey stump pulling 300 straight 6 loved that motor.....
Good Luck..
JMO,

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:08 am

lvrgsp wrote:Torquey stump pulling 300 straight 6 loved that motor.....
That was my last truck 260,000 and still going ( for someone else though). I loved them too.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

Ecw21

Post by Ecw21 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:18 am

Good thoughts everyone. Honestly, a 3rd passenger would really be riding in the back maybe 4 or 5 times a year. The price difference might be a difference of 2K....fairly substantial, but not an insane difference.

lvrgsp-you mentioned the seats folding up and having tons of storage....what would you say (in terms of an object) you can put in that space?

I'm loving that everyone is behind their Ford trucks and seem to be saying that they are getting tons of mileage out of them without an incredible amount of maintenance....I'm thinking that in 2-3 years, this probably isn't necesarily my daily driver, more of my fun truck to haul the boat, dog, etc....I have no kids so don't need it to haul anyone other than myself, some gear (I don' t have a dog box or anything like that), and the pup. I would probably throw one of those insulated Mud River crate covers on the crate and put it in the back on cool weather hunts and put her in the cab when it is crazy cold.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:49 am

Ecw21 wrote:Good thoughts everyone. Honestly, a 3rd passenger would really be riding in the back maybe 4 or 5 times a year. The price difference might be a difference of 2K....fairly substantial, but not an insane difference.

lvrgsp-you mentioned the seats folding up and having tons of storage....what would you say (in terms of an object) you can put in that space?

I'm loving that everyone is behind their Ford trucks and seem to be saying that they are getting tons of mileage out of them without an incredible amount of maintenance....I'm thinking that in 2-3 years, this probably isn't necesarily my daily driver, more of my fun truck to haul the boat, dog, etc....I have no kids so don't need it to haul anyone other than myself, some gear (I don' t have a dog box or anything like that), and the pup. I would probably throw one of those insulated Mud River crate covers on the crate and put it in the back on cool weather hunts and put her in the cab when it is crazy cold.
Honestly and some here may think I am crazy but I can fit a large dog box and military duffle bag full of clothes ( Yep original one from the service 20 yrs ago) my shotgun or two, an ammo box, my trial and training bag,( med size bucket boss) a small cooler with oh lets just call em Built Ford Tough Beverages.... :lol:, oh yea and an extra pair of boots.....that is no lie, now the large dog box does require that I move the front pass seat up about 4 inches.
But every year now for oh the past 3 years or so if I am going to a weekend walking trial I will have 2 dogs and boxes, 1 large and 1 xtra large,(one in the scab one in the bed) a 4 wheeler (Yamaha Bruin 350 4x4) a big steel coleman cooler, tie outs, food, water jug (big blue one) some xtra clothes and trial gear, 4 wheeler ramps, all in my Ford F-150 Supercab Lariat 4x4 Off Road Pkg Flareside (Fords version of Stepside) Pick Em Up Truck........and thats no lie it can be verified.
The deal with the SCab vs SCrew IMO is the individual need, I very seldom carry anyone in the back seats of my truck so for me to sell my already paid for 2001 to upgrade to a newer SCrew is really not justified for me yet. Honestly I am thinking the next truck will be a F-250 Gas Reg cab 8' bed in a standard transmission if I can get it.
Did I mention I like Fords........No Gov't bail out either :lol:
JMO,
Last edited by lvrgsp on Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ecw21

Post by Ecw21 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:02 am

Wow....Awesome response, my friend. That is WAY more stuff than I would be hauling. I just see myself never using the Supercrew backseat. The suicide door should be fine for me.

Hmmmm....Think I'm off to the dealer tomorrow to see what's what!

Eric

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:16 am

Oh Eric one thing I will add is this, unless your just a Flareside(stepside) fan, I would not reccomend it. I bought mine because I got the deal of the century on it in a trade in of another Ford F-150 with 175,000 on it...
Not sure how the back doors are configured to open on the newer body style but my 01 opens plenty for easy access...

Good luck, let us know what you decide.
Last edited by lvrgsp on Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

JakeDD

Post by JakeDD » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:29 am

Frankly, $2K is a nice chunk of change to save if the Crew cab isn't a necessity. It would certainly pay for your topper and cover some fuel/food/lodging for a hunting trip.

One suggestion from my experience over years: if you buy a topper, get one with side "win-doors" for air circulation and so you can reach in from the side to access gear without crawling in from the tailgate. They are LIFESAVERS, esp if you have the Ext cab with a long box. I have an ARE topper with sliding/flip down front window and sliding win-doors on both sides. Absolutely love it for getting air circulating in the summer when hauling the dogs. When we stop, I just flip them open for air to blow through.

Here's the topper I have on my GMC:
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa17 ... C_0053.jpg

Az Draht

Post by Az Draht » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:47 am

lvrgsp wrote:What I would love to see is Ford to put the freakin 4cyl diesel in the trucks here stateside, or bring back that Torquey stump pulling 300 straight 6 loved that motor.....
Good Luck..
JMO,
Its isn't a 4cyl diesel but Ford is putting 3 new engines in the 2011 f150s. The 400hp 26mpg 5.0 from the mustang sounds pretty good to me. Curious about the ECOBoost 6cyl

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2010 ... st-v6.html

Ford's 2011 F-150 will do away with its current lineup of V8 engines in the F-150 in favor of new and more efficient powerplants, which will include a base V6, the Mustang GT's 5.0-liter V8 and the company's impressive EcoBoost V6.

The base 4.6-liter V8 will be tossed in favor of the company's new 3.7-liter V6 engine, the same engine offered as standard equipment in the new 2011 Mustang. This will mark the first time Ford has offered a V6 in the F-150 since 2008. The current 4.6-liter makes 248 hp and 294 ft-lbs of torque and gets 19-mpg highway, while in the Mustang the 3.7-liter V6 makes 305-hp and 280 ft-lbs of torque, while delivering 31-mpg on the highway.

Ford's optional Triton 5.4-liter V8 will then be replaced by the smaller displacement 5.0-liter from the Mustang GT. The 5.4-liter makes 320-hp and 390 ft-lbs of torque, with a 20-mpg highway rating, while the 5.0-liter V8 in the new Mustang GT creates 412-hp and 390 ft-lbs of torque, while getting 26-mpg highway.

Ford's new twin-turbo 3.5-liter V6 EcoBoost engine will also debut in the F-150 for 2011 and all engine options will come with a 6-speed automatic transmission.

The biggest challenge for Ford will be in the marketing department, convincing traditional truck buyers that a smaller displacement or V6 engine can do the job of the larger V8 powerplants. We wouldn't worry, as Ford has proven itself very capable over the past few years in marketing its products.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:55 am

kylenicholas02 wrote:
Really???? I would imagine being from indiana that you surely are aware that hundreds if not thousands of jobs are generated by the toyota plant about two hours south of you where the toyota half ton trucks are built......... so I say that as real americans why not a toyota? I know several people that work in that factory......
Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

kylenicholas02

Post by kylenicholas02 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:49 am

Actually it's 35 mins east... and what you haven't seen is all the news about all the illegal immigrants they have been hauling out of there after taxpayers have helped build the plant. Sorry if I have a bad taste in my mouth, but when you propose investments to the state that are turned down to fund a project like that... It leaves a little sore taste... :roll:

By the way, step up to the super crew. I just bought a new F-150 King Ranch in April and absolutely love it. With the rear folding seats I have been putting a small kennel in the back and running the truck to cool the dogs prior to our summer trials at the club. I also moved my girlfriends 6 draw dresser by throwing it in the space once the seats are folded.

Ford is so far ahead of everyone else right now on their trucks it's rediculous. My dad who owns a large construction company purchases roughly 25-30 trucks a year. Until last year, they had been Chevy. Now everything is Ford and the guys in his maintenance department say they are the easiest to work on. Does your Chevy have all its fuses conveniently located in a lighted box right at the front of the truck? :P
KN

kylenicholas02

Post by kylenicholas02 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:50 am

Excuse me, I was thinking of the Toyota Plant in Greensburg... Sorry
KN

Ecw21

Post by Ecw21 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:30 am

There is one near where I grew up...it is in Princeton, IN.

Thanks again for all the advice. Super Cab, Supercrew....debates, debates.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:56 am

Az Draht wrote:The base 4.6-liter V8 will be tossed in favor of the company's new 3.7-liter V6 engine, the same engine offered as standard equipment in the new 2011 Mustang. This will mark the first time Ford has offered a V6 in the F-150 since 2008.

The current 4.6-liter makes 248 hp and 294 ft-lbs of torque and gets 19-mpg highway, while in the Mustang the 3.7-liter V6 makes 305-hp and 280 ft-lbs of torque, while delivering 31-mpg on the highway.

...Ford has proven itself very capable over the past few years in marketing its products.
This would be a huge mpg step, if they can prove (other than via glitzy marketing) the power is still there. I am intrigued and will watch this closely. Seeing that I like GM but my wife will not let a "Government Motors" vehicle in our driveway any longer, Ford is HIGH on my list. Although I still love my 'ol '04 Tahoe 8)

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:20 pm

kylenicholas02 wrote:. Does your Chevy have all its fuses conveniently located in a lighted box right at the front of the truck? :P
I'll stick with my smooth ride and 9200 lb GVWR :D
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Ecw21

Post by Ecw21 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:34 pm

Thanks for all the advice....Just took a good long look at a 2008 FX4. If she is still around on Friday, prob gonna take her home.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:06 pm

PntrRookie wrote:
Az Draht wrote:The base 4.6-liter V8 will be tossed in favor of the company's new 3.7-liter V6 engine, the same engine offered as standard equipment in the new 2011 Mustang. This will mark the first time Ford has offered a V6 in the F-150 since 2008.

The current 4.6-liter makes 248 hp and 294 ft-lbs of torque and gets 19-mpg highway, while in the Mustang the 3.7-liter V6 makes 305-hp and 280 ft-lbs of torque, while delivering 31-mpg on the highway.

...Ford has proven itself very capable over the past few years in marketing its products.
This would be a huge mpg step, if they can prove (other than via glitzy marketing) the power is still there. I am intrigued and will watch this closely. Seeing that I like GM but my wife will not let a "Government Motors" vehicle in our driveway any longer, Ford is HIGH on my list. Although I still love my 'ol '04 Tahoe 8)
Maybe Az D will step in and clarify but it looked like his post was comparing the mpg of an engine in a Mustang with the mpg of one of the old engines in a Ford pickup. Maybe I misunderstood but the way the post was worded wasn't very clear to me & looked like one of those apples and oranges comparisions.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

Az Draht

Post by Az Draht » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:06 am

BigShooter wrote:Maybe Az D will step in and clarify but it looked like his post was comparing the mpg of an engine in a Mustang with the mpg of one of the old engines in a Ford pickup. Maybe I misunderstood but the way the post was worded wasn't very clear to me & looked like one of those apples and oranges comparisions.
The press release was stating the milage those engines get when in the Mustang. I wonder how much it would drop after going going into a F150, maybe to 25mpg? Still pretty good.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:56 am

It will still drop more than that. The weight of the vehicle is significantly higher. The gearing I suspect is different. Even the weight of the axels, hub, wheels tires etc. will be more mass to get going. But saying that I bet it ends up around 21 to 22 high way. Of course this does not account for those Light to light races you will be moved to do. :wink:

I personally think the 06 and newer fords are the way to go. I always was a Dodge person and have had good luck with my 03 chevy, but never fully satisfied. I will be on the ford wagon soon enough.

Rick

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:54 am

I have a 3.7 in an 08 ford taurus, (Basically a ford 500 body with newer motor and tranny and interior change) it's a smooth running motor, with more than enough power for the taurus. With close to 30,000 on it we get around 25-30 hwy running 70 mph. I will be interested to see if they are still going forward with the release of the Ford F-100,(in the form of a new ford ranger) that would peak my interest as well. It is supposed to be a 9/10th scale of the current f-150 body, more along the scale of the 97-03 body. The '12 F-150 is supposed to be a little bigger than the current body style. But we'll see what the great FoMoCo is gonna do......
Let us know if you get the 08 fx4 my man....

Lvrgsp

Ecw21

Post by Ecw21 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:37 am

All....Well, I pulled the trigger. Picked up a 2008 F150-Crew Cab. It is an XLT model with the 'chrome package'--all black and chrome. 17K miles for a darn good price--I went away from the leather in favor of the better mileage and the crew cab. Drove down to my family's house and but the dog's crate in the back along with all my guitars, luggage, etc. Lets just say I think the Crew Cab was the way to go.

Thanks to all for your help on this purchase...I really appreciate it.

Eric

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:17 am

Dude seriously?.......Ya gotta post some pics man...... :D
Congrats on the new purchase.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:22 am

Cool! Congrats!

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:54 am

Sir,
Good luck with your new Ford truck
RGD/Dave

JKP

Post by JKP » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:23 am

So when is some company going to produce the "heavy" 150 with a 4 liter diesel...280hp, 400+ft/lb torque and an easy 25mpg...or more.
There are 2 ton Bimmers running down the Autobahn in Germany at 100-120 mph getting 30 mpg...I know...I've rented them. 3.5 liters,
260 hp, 380 ft/lb torque....can't hear them or smell them.

Ecw21

Post by Ecw21 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:30 am

Tried to attach a pic....let me know if it works.

Eric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jt807

Post by jt807 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:28 am

I thinki Ruffshooter got this right. Diesel engines will not save you money.

Also, there was a comment earlier about getting a F-450 instead of the F-350 so the engine wouldn't have to work as hard. Often times what they do is actually de-tune the engines on the larger trucks, so the engine cannot work as hard. If you are under your GVW on a 350, I would stick with that.
Ruffshooter wrote:
MikeB wrote:Ecw21,

A few years a go I figure took two vehicles Chevy 1/2ton 4X4 same packages except deisle and 3/4 ton. Using my driving mileage and the current gas price, the current diesel price, the 5.3 motor and the chevy diesel milage claims. I forget now what the price diff was in the two vehicle was but seems to me it was around $6 or 7 thousand. It would have taken me 7 years to break even on the price diff of the two vehicles. (50,000 miles)

The new gas vehicles get pretty good mileage. My Chevy that has 290,000 miles still gets and average of 16 mpgand I can baby it to 18mpg.

The best the diesle will do on average is around 17 to 20 mpg.

Just a thought. Would have to do the math out again to be accurate for the diff now.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:44 pm

It's hard not to love a nearly new truck. 1/2 T car like ride combined with my personal favorite - the crew cab. You're going to love it for a long time.
jt807 wrote:so the engine wouldn't have to work as hard
work = force x distance. The force necesssary to move the truck is affected by friction (bigger, all terrain, off road, softer tires all increase friction. Manual transmisions create less friction than automatic transmissions. Aerodynamic design affects wind resistence. Increased mass (or weight) increases friction & required force. Higher gear ratios result in a shorter distance moved per engine revolution.

An F350 typically has larger tires, more weight & higher gear ratios than an average F150 so under the foregoing circumstances the same engine in both trucks will produce more work (or work harder) to move the F350 the same distance as the F150.

Often when we talk about engines using non-physics common language terms we say the engine is working hard if the engine either can't produce enough horsepower or hasn't been allowed to rev up high enough to produce enough energy (or horsepower) for the vehicle load at that moment. So when a driver using common language says their engine is working hard, under the physics definition it's not producing much work. :wink:
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:09 pm

If your trying to figure if a diesel is worth it by gas mileage only then no its probably not. Nobody buying a diesel only weighs gas mileage, It's the gas mileage + the amount of work the vehicle will do + the fact you can put 4-500,000 miles on a diesel. If someone is thinking about a diesel only based on gas mileage than they probably don't do enough pulling/work to warrant the extra cost. Try pulling 13,000lbs regularly with a 5.3, so comparing the mileage is a moot point, they are opposite ends of the truck engine spectrum really. PS....I have a 5.3 chevy and would never think about comparing anything about that truck to my 3/4 ton diesel, different worlds they were created for.

The fact that diesel right now is more than gasoline isn't a good point of comparison either, historically diesel has usually been cheaper than gas, and it could be that way again in short order......

To the OP, glad you found something you like and hope it works well for you in the long run......
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

JKP

Post by JKP » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:10 am

After burning through F-150's for years I decided to get a diesel hoping it could last as long as 3 (!!!) 150's. At the time, Dodge was cutting some real sweet deals so my total discount on the truck was $11,300!!! The fuel costs are a wash....maintenance is higher...repairs are about the same....I'll know in 6-8 years if it made sense. The advantage is when you start to load the truck-pulling the trailer, the F-150 got 9 mpg,
the Cummins gets 14....so it does save on those hunting trips out west.

fordman

Post by fordman » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:52 am

never had a 150 get 9 what were you pulling a semi?