A few surrogator questions

jimbo&rooster

A few surrogator questions

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:06 pm

It has recently become a possibility for me to be in a position to start doing some management for quail on about100acres. I am thiking about getting a surrogator to release a few birds a couple times of year and be able to rent it to some local land owners. but I have a few questions that Ive not been able to find answers to.

first off. what can be expected as far as mortality rate inside the brooder? of the birds put in assuming they are all healthy how many should I expect to die?

do the released birds blend into the birds already there or do they have adverse effects on local birds?

what is the likelyhood that released birds which have been placed in a brooder at a day old will contract some disease and wipe out the local birds?

these are a few questions that I have been trying to get the answer too and am not having a ton of luck finding....
Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Southwind

Re: A few surrogator questions

Post by Southwind » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:27 pm

The guy with Quailrestoration.com could answer all those questions. If I am not mistaken, you just mix in some medicine in the water tank. I have not heard of birds getting sick inside the brooder, but I know the Surrogators get about 75% success rate. These birds make their own coveys and blend in with wild coveys too.