My versitile gun dog

rapid fire

My versitile gun dog

Post by rapid fire » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:44 pm

I gut shot a deer this morning and figured there was no chance of finding her w/out the use of a dog. I went back to the house and got my GSP, hoping that she would lay up and die while I was gone. I gave her 2 1/2 hours and put Lilly on the trail. She did a fine job of tracking for 100yds before we jumped the doe. She walked off, but I couldn't get another shot at her. I gave Lilly the hotdog I took for her and loved her up real good. I will put her back on the trail this evening to see if she can find the doe. She wasn't able to get back on the trail this evening, but I'm still really proud of her earlier performance. I will put her on every deer I shoot from now on.

JKP

Re: My versitile gun dog

Post by JKP » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:09 pm

Now in Germany, if the animal kept getting off the wound bed, they would let the dog go drag it down....it works.

rapid fire

Post by rapid fire » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:11 pm

I thought about it, but I don't think she would have caught it. I think she would have just run circles around it. I will admit though, that the plan this evening was to let her give it a try.

asc

Post by asc » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:27 pm

We use a bulldog/cur mix for that and turn it loose to catch. After general gun and we start to run our beagles and walkers we just let them get the wounded. I have a friend with a JRT that is a fine blood trail dog and she thinks she's a catch dog too :roll:
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!