Painting the Kennels

CimarronGSPs

Painting the Kennels

Post by CimarronGSPs » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:43 am

I had my kennel panels rewelded to have some rust spots fixed. The question is what type of paint would be best to use to repaint over the welded spots and the rest of the panels? They are the preifert style panels that have welded wire on round tubing.
Chief's Cimarron War Hawk

nitrex

Re: Painting the Kennels

Post by nitrex » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:59 pm

I prime mine with the red oxide primer from "Tractor Supply" and then use a premium exterior enamel. For paint I now use tractor paint and have been very happy with the results after several years. I have access to a paint booth at a friends construction company building, so I just set up the kennel sand, wipe it down, prime it, and paint away. It takes a while to get the paint to get really hard, but when it does it has held up well for me.

Nitrex

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:58 am

CimmarronGSP,
If you are just repairing some rust spots, wire brush the spots down to the bare metal, use RUST-OELUM Spray primer 1st, let completely dry, then pray with RUST-OELUM, quick drying silver Spray. Your fence will last a life time.
RGD/Dave

dan v

Post by dan v » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:39 am

CimarronGSPs wrote:I had my kennel panels rewelded to have some rust spots fixed. The question is what type of paint would be best to use to repaint over the welded spots and the rest of the panels? They are the preifert style panels that have welded wire on round tubing.
If you can sand to bare metal, you will find no better product in a spray can that the Rust-Oleum Zinc Rich cold galvanizing. If not, then the Rust-Oleum rust convertor works well. If you note the joints on the welded areas of the panels, you'll note they've been sprayed with something...I'd hope it was the spray zinc.
Dan

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:25 pm

I thought about using truck bed liner spray on em....don't know how it will work or turn out but worth a shot I guess...

CimarronGSPs

Post by CimarronGSPs » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:50 pm

Wondered about the spray liner as well. I wonder if the roll on stuff from wally world would work very well?
Chief's Cimarron War Hawk

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:08 pm

No idea but they have it in a spray can now at my local Big R farm supply store for $8 a can, I thought about just doing the bottom half on the panels to curtail the usual rusting problems...

Let me know if ya do it and how it works for ya

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:44 am

Wyndancer,
Got to admit the Zinc paint does work the best, I should have noted this in my post also. As you see my Kennel fencing is out in the Pa woods all year around, and takes a beating form the weather, because of the good paint I use I can go years without having to touch it up.
RGD/Dave

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:24 pm

I tend to use Cold galvinizing spray for primer on fresh welds or steel....zinc chromate primer is also some
tough stuff and used on marine metals in saltwater.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno