Pedigree Information

Ken Lynch

Pedigree Information

Post by Ken Lynch » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:30 pm

Is there an existing forum where one can go to get dog pedigree research help? For instance I am trying to find GSP ancestors for DONNER HORN'S ZELLA? I have information on the dogs sire HARD OIL SAM II. However, I need further info on the dam HARD OIL LULU.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Pedigree Information

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:41 pm

If the dog is AKC registered, then you can purchase a research pedigree from the AKC online store. $10 - $12, depending on if you want four or five generations, is the last cost I have. If the dog is registered with the FDSB or NAVHDA, contact them. Any pedigree that does not carry the logo of the registering body can be incorrect. A certified pedigree is much more costly than a research pedigree.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Ken Lynch

Post by Ken Lynch » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:52 pm

This stuff goes back farther than what AKC has put in their online database. Pre 1978. I recognize the danger on non certified pedigrees but do the best I can to verify what I get.
Groucho Marx

Ken Lynch

Post by Ken Lynch » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:50 am

I am just trying to fill in my dogs pedigree as far back as I can go. Hear is an example of what I am looking for. Behind all my dogs is a bitch PINE CREEK'S GRETCHEN. Her pedigree is as follows.

Down her dam side, 4 generations back is a sire SARGENT PEPPER VII. I am looking for information on the missing dam and sire of HARD OIL LULU found 3 generations back on his dam side.

Groucho Marx

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:42 pm

Dont know if it will work but have you tried worldpedigrees.com ?

Ken Lynch

Post by Ken Lynch » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:04 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. However, nothing is that easy.
Groucho Marx

Ken Lynch

Post by Ken Lynch » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:42 pm

I am looking for any information on a GSP named Donner Horn's Zella. The dog was whelped 7/2/1970 and the listed breeder is Robert Shain. I am trying to find historical information on the grandparents and great grandparents for this dog. If possible I would like information to contact the breeder.
Groucho Marx

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:14 pm

Ken,

What you have so far is pretty impressive. How long has it taken to get the info.? Some day maybe you'll share some hints about how to go about this kind of research. I've used the AKC, searched the web for dogs and pedigrees and contacted breeders but I'm sure there are other resources I don't know about.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Ken Lynch

Post by Ken Lynch » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:14 pm

What I have looks impressive but is the combined work of multiple people before I ever came along. I started by purchasing a database program which also had a fair size GSP database to start with. I then entered as much information about the dog lines that I have. It is amazing how when you go back in pedigrees common dogs (popular ones) keep showing up and therefore fill in a lot that you did not know before. Then through networking you run across others that have the same program but enter the dogs that they are interested in (from different lines) and when you look at their information you discover dogs that you previously never had any information on. The biggest problem comes about because of the typing style of the various individuals that have created the multiple versions of the database and the way in which they enter additional information as they find it. Some people enter in mixed case others in capitol case only. Then there those that abbreviate words to lesson typing. Not everyone abbreviates the same way or are consistent as to when they use it. Then there are the inevitable typing errors. All of which are viewed by the computer program as different. There are those out there that have scrubbed the information in their database and are not willing to share it. Others are willing to part with the fruit of their labor for a price. Converting dog information from foreign databases just doubles the nightmare. Bottom line is that most of the popular lines are researched a long way back and are available in most of the existing databases. AKC goes back to 1970's in there on line database. Another source are the old GSPCA Yearbooks. Unfortunately I do not have any old ones and they tend to only provide information on dogs that have achieved titles. It is the ones I refer to as fringe dogs that lead to dilemmas. Case in point "Donner Horn's Zella". The dog was bread by Robert Shain and registered with AKC. Both the sire and dame were dogs with names starting with "Hard Oil" as though it was a kennel name. One of those dogs leads back to "Mosegaards" kennel.
Groucho Marx

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:18 am

Ken I have pretty much every GSPCA yearbook including the very first one, I will take a gander at them here in the next few days and see what I can come up with, you are correct thosed are a pretty good resource for peds, especially the early ones...

Chip

Ken Lynch

Post by Ken Lynch » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:45 am

Thanks for the offer to do some research. I can give you a few more bits of information which might help narrow the time frame to look in. Donner Horn's Zella was whelped 7/2/1970. However, she is down a chain, 5 generations of non titled dogs removed, from MAGGIE MAY WARNER who was whelped 7/25/1987 and is titled. Since starting this thread I have been able to fill in 2 generations behind Donner Horn's Zella. I would like some conformation that what I have found is correct.
Groucho Marx

scout_on_38s

Post by scout_on_38s » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:31 am

Its not certified but pawvillage.com has a database. Not sure if you'll find something that far back but you might get lucky. --- Charlie
Murphy- RIP
Cali- 3yo Black/White Ticked Patched GSP.... http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=1052
Daisy- 3mo Black/White Patched GSP

Ken Lynch

Post by Ken Lynch » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:13 am

Charlie,
Thanks for the suggestion. However, PawVillage's database is very small (6674 entries) and does not have the depth necessary to find the dogs I am after.
Groucho Marx