Differences between GSPs and GWPs

cattail

Differences between GSPs and GWPs

Post by cattail » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:11 pm

How do the two differ in the field? I understand the physical differences but how do they run in the field. I know I'm looking for some vast generalizations here but am interested. Does one typically run bigger, retrieve more naturally, different temperment, etc? I need more info than the names describe. Thanks.

JKP

Re: Differences between GSPs and GWPs

Post by JKP » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:30 am

The GSP is without doubt the most successful of the continental transplants. They have taken over NAVHDA, gained respect in all FT circles, and won over a lot of serious people to the breed. With any research, it would be hard NOT to get a good GSP pup. The sources of top GWP prospects are not as large in number, but the best would be indistinguishable form any GSP.

The biggest difference I hear consistently from those who own the breed is the activity level. Overall, the GWP is probably a little more laid back. But, a lot of folks like that energy level. Otherwise, how do you say they are so different when the DK is a foundation breed for the GWP? You will probably find more FT influence in the GSP, and I would bet that the GSP tends to be a bigger running dog on average. Don't believe any garble about wire coats being better for retrieving...they make vests for that...and desire trumps everything. If you are in a warm weather area, go with the GSP.

You will find any style of dog you want in either breed. You will probably buy the dog that you see in front of you in your mind's eye.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:08 am

I agree with JKP for the most part. I think what I have seen is that the GSPs tend to run a little bigger on average than a wire hair. Wire hairs can handle cold weather a little better. Wire hairs fur handles the abrasion of frozen cattails, thorns, etc. better. Retrieving is not distinguishable between the breeds. Wire hairs are better watch dogs. I love both breeds. Great hunting dogs. If you are in the south go with a GSP, if you are in the north, go with a WH.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

JKP

Post by JKP » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:48 am

Wire hairs fur handles the abrasion of frozen cattails, thorns, etc.
I agree....IF the dog has a hard working coat...not easy to find. If you decide on a GWP, educate yourself as to what a proper coat is. A good wire coat doesn't collect junk....and you swipe your hand over it to remove the burrs. Look at the coat on front legs, around the feet and toes, chest and stifle. This is where the coat "wears" in the cover. There should be coarse thick shorter hair right down to the nails. Soft, open coats get torn up in typical prairie grass or cattails. Pretty soon you have bleeding feet, bear front legs and stifles, etc.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:48 pm

Don't believe any garble about wire coats being better for retrieving...they make vests for that...
I agree. From what I have seen there aren't any pointing breeds that can do what the retrieving breeds do in the water. I don't mean a one-off retrieve, I mean retrieve after retrieve in cold water, sitting in cold temps in a blind all day. The coat is not what does it, it is body mass and body fat, and the pointing breeds just don't have that. Can't prove it, but the Labs I have hunted with and known over the years always seemed to thicken up a little when fall came, gained some extra protection.

JKP

Post by JKP » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:54 pm

Can't prove it, but the Labs I have hunted with and known over the years always seemed to thicken up a little when fall came, gained some extra protection.
Could be because they all seem to lose steam after mile 3 behind the ATV!!!

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:11 pm

JKP wrote:
I agree....IF the dog has a hard working coat...not easy to find. If you decide on a GWP, educate yourself as to what a proper coat is. A good wire coat doesn't collect junk....and you swipe your hand over it to remove the burrs. Look at the coat on front legs, around the feet and toes, chest and stifle. This is where the coat "wears" in the cover. There should be coarse thick shorter hair right down to the nails. Soft, open coats get torn up in typical prairie grass or cattails. Pretty soon you have bleeding feet, bear front legs and stifles, etc.
That is why I went with a DD. I believe they have more consistent coats. I've never picked a burr off of her. :D
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Doughboy

Post by Doughboy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:51 am

JKP wrote:
Thank you for this advice, this is something I did not know. Would anyone have any pictures of this?

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:27 am

Google VDD and take a look.

JKP

Post by JKP » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:24 am

Here are pictures of a very good coat...it is medium length, very dense, harsh, close lying and covers the "leading edges" well....where a dog takes abuse in the cover

The last pic was taken 2 years ago after 3 weeks in ND...hard dense coats wear very little.

jt807

Post by jt807 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:42 pm

GWPs are just GSPs that haven't had their hair shaved in a while.

In fact I got a GSP that I am letting her hair grow out, then try to re-register with AKC as a GWP.

Trust me, I know what I am saying.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:14 pm

What? :? :? :?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:30 pm

Pot stirring and not the first case of it by that jt807. Ignore please and continue providing useful information.

jt807

Post by jt807 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:39 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:Pot stirring and not the first case of it by that jt807. Ignore please and continue providing useful information.
Not sure what you are talking about by stirring the pot, but hey, you are the one in control, right?

Doughboy

Post by Doughboy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:40 pm

JKP- Thanks for posting the pics. I see what you mean about the coarse, short, thick hair right up to the toenails.