Re planning a hunting trip.......

jimbo&rooster

Re planning a hunting trip.......

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:15 am

Alright guys, i had a duck hunting trip planned forthe week after Christmas fall through, and since the wife allows me one hunting trip a year :lol: im planning to go bird hunting instead...... Now I plan on going alone or possibly with one other person but I am kind of set in when I can go.... basically Dec 18-22, or Dec28-Jan2, due to that being when my Christmas break falls (school teacher) Im Kinda leaning towards the Kansas, Nebraska area. Id like to be able to hunt public land and wild birds. Would this be to late in the year to be on the prairie? I am also open to suggestions of other ideas, Id like to be no more than a days drive from southern Indiana if I can. i just got the call bout 15mins ago that my trip went south so Im kinda rolling around some ideas now.......
Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Birddogz

Re: Re planning a hunting trip.......

Post by Birddogz » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:24 pm

Go to Larned, KS area. No, it isn't too late at all. My favorite time to hunt KS is in January/December. You'll kill plenty of birds.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:12 pm

You might also do a search.

This thread is in the Hunting forum right now - might have some info for you. viewtopic.php?f=81&t=24589&start=0

Let us know what you decide!

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:14 pm

How is the cactus in that area?

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:10 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:How is the cactus in that area?
I assume you're not referring to Kansas :)

Cactus in AZ can be nasty for dogs in the lower elevations. Once you get above around 2500 feet, you get more birds and mostly prickly pear, staghorn, cactuses that stay put rather than travel with you. Dogs learn to navigate it fine. The rocks tear up feet on multiple-day hunts - that and needs for water are probably the biggest challenges for dogs.

quailrunner

Post by quailrunner » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:30 pm

They can get thick up here at 4500' too. At least the air is thin though. :P

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:24 pm

quailrunner wrote:They can get thick up here at 4500' too. At least the air is thin though. :P
Turning into a threadjack, but the cactus hated by humans and dogs here are the "jumping cholla" variety (and they are only at lower elevations). You can walk ten feet away from one of those and you end up wearing it sticking out of your calf. Try to pull them out, and you get it stuck all over. They are just nasty. The rest of the cacti pretty much stay put - they don't travel with you like the cholla, or goatheads, burrs, whatever.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:07 am

Alright guys I have settled on Kansas as my destination and have looked at the Larned area, and it has got me thinking about heading that way. However I am not settled on anything other than that Kansas will be my destination. If it helps I am probly more inclined to chase quail around and would obviously be super stoked to bust up a Phez or a Chicken but will more than likely be headed for the southern and eastern quarter of the state. Open to suggestions so keep em coming.
Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.