Just a thought about outside dog houses.

Birddogz

Just a thought about outside dog houses.

Post by Birddogz » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:48 pm

I just came up with an idea for my friends that keep their dogs outside in a kennel. Obtain an old deep freezer. They are insulated better than any dog house. Take a saws-all and cut a door in one. Put a doggy door on it. They are lined with aluminum, and have nothing that dogs can chew. They also have tops that are easily accessible to clean out old straw. Cut the old cord off, and duct tape the lid shut. If that isn't enough, use a ratchet strap or a latch to keep it shut. Throw an abundance of straw in the compartment. There are NO dog houses that are insulated as well as a deep freeze. Deep freezers that don't work, or do, and are just being sold for cheap are abundant. They are waterproof and solid. A nice dog house (single) are 300 dollars. A 2-3 dog house are 500 dollars. Simply take an old deep freeze, cut a dog door in it. You could even use a board to compartmentalize it, and stop the wind. You may have to paint them every couple of years to stop rust, but you can obtain them for free- to 50 dollars. I honestly think that these would make a tremendous dog house. My friend and I built one, but it hasn't been cold yet. This dog house would also work well for extreme heat. What do you think?
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Re: Just a thought about outside dog houses.

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:55 pm

I can't see why a freezer would not work if the door opening was framed to eliminate a hazard with the sharp metal and insulation....a freezer would also look great next to the white-painted tractor tire with the posies in the center.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:00 pm

Maybe rubber line the door.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Boxa

Post by Boxa » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:25 pm

My only concerns would be the sharp edges around the cut-out doggie door along with ensuring enough ventilation, since the freezer is air-tight. If the doggie door is also, then you might want to take measures to avoid suffocation overnight.
Caleb F. Bryson
Bryson's Boxa Kennel

FC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Briarpatch Baby SH
FC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Lucky St. Lindy SH
DC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Wendell W. Woodbriar

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:45 pm

The doggy door would allow for air flow.

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:21 pm

Excellent idea. For Arizona and Texas versions, leave the plug attached and use for its intended purpose (Attention Pointer owners: that was a JOKE.)
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:31 pm

I know of a couple of guys that run hounds in Canada and have been using deep freezers/refrigerators for years with very good luck. Not sure I need one that well insulated!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:08 pm

I would be concerned about condensation but it might be OK.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:11 am

I'm concerned about what the neighbors might think...good idea but maybe a little redneck! :lol:

Nitrex

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:38 am

You live in Hutch, the neighbors would probably be proud of that kennel. LOL :lol:

windswept

Post by windswept » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:09 am

I used to have a dog that would look at a freezer in the kennel as a good stepping stone to jumping over the 6 foot kennel.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:36 am

Birddogz wrote:You live in Hutch, the neighbors would probably be proud of that kennel. LOL :lol:
He's probably get sued for a dog bite, since his neighbors would be over to scavage his ice box, then Suprise! :lol:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:27 pm

prairiefirepointers wrote:
Birddogz wrote:You live in Hutch, the neighbors would probably be proud of that kennel. LOL :lol:
He's probably get sued for a dog bite, since his neighbors would be over to scavage his ice box, then Suprise! :lol:

Looks like a few Rednecks have come out of the closet!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I don't care what anyone else uses for a dog house, but don't you think that a freezer is a little bit redneck? I've seen a lot of redneck setups. I have many friends that are 100% pure redneck and I may be 110%, but I sure like a nice clean, orderly, and professional looking setup. Not all of us can afford the high end $300-$400 dog houses, but how about a $100 K-9 condo barrel setup? Please do not think I am being judgmental, just giving my opinion as I've been accused of being a redneck all too many times for similar ideas!

Nitrex

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:32 pm

nitrex wrote:Seriously, I don't care what anyone else uses for a dog house, but don't you think that a freezer is a little bit redneck? I've seen a lot of redneck setups. I have many friends that are 100% pure redneck and I may be 110%, but I sure like a nice clean, orderly, and professional looking setup. Not all of us can afford the high end $300-$400 dog houses, but how about a $100 K-9 condo barrel setup? Please do not think I am being judgmental, just giving my opinion as I've been accused of being a redneck all too many times for similar ideas!
I'm definately with ya. I like things to be neat and orderly as well. I don't want people thinking a "Turkish Bazaar" was in town and left their dogs, houses, and kennels with me. :lol: I've seen setups that just make me shake my head... I've got a dear friend who has a bunch of Coyote Hounds and I went with him once to load his dogs up.. It looked like a band of Gypsy Wagon's had a rollover pile up.

My outside dogs, have external pens (dirt floor for now) with dog doors leading into the garage. Inside they have fully insulated (top, bottom, sides) with a built in pig rails, doog door, "puppy ramp" and hinged top. They are wired for a standard one bulb fixture, which I put a 100 watt bulb in durring the winter and they stay at least 50 degrees even in the coldest winter weather.

However, I realize not everyone has that luxuary.. Some wives want their CARS in the garage, not birddogs. :lol:
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:04 pm

prairiefirepointers wrote: "Turkish Bazaar"
Now that right there is funny I don't care who ya are!

Pineywoods

Post by Pineywoods » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:22 pm

prairiefirepointers wrote:
However, I realize not everyone has that luxuary.. Some wives want their CARS in the garage, not birddogs. :lol:
Maybe those guys need to try a new wife..........................................I'm just saying.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:10 pm

When they turn 40 trade them in for 2 twenties. :lol: I hope my wife doesn't read this. :lol:

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:16 pm

Birddogz wrote:When they turn 40 trade them in for 2 twenties.
Do you really want to revisit all those hard years of training, to get the new one's to where the current one is now? :mrgreen:
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:01 pm

My dogs have houses I made, using 1 sheet of plywood. They are very warm in winter and are flat topped for lounging in summer. Can add straw never hay if ti gets too cold. I put two dogs in each kennel winter time, put my hand in the dog house and it is very warm in there. -40 takes 3 dogs for warmth, hence the name three dog night :)
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935