need some info

its the dog

need some info

Post by its the dog » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:40 pm

Hi everyoune my first post but I used to be on here like 6 years ago. But I have a question.I just built a new dog box for my dog and he will not go in it.I built it out of wood just like the last one and its been 5 days now and its starting to get cold at night here in iowa so sugestions on what to try would be great as I'm stumped on why he is that picky.

dudleysmith

Re: need some info

Post by dudleysmith » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:54 pm

put his food bowl in there if he wants to eat he has no choice but to go in....also put hay in there they all seem to want to sleep on hay for some reason...

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:07 pm

dudleysmith wrote:put his food bowl in there if he wants to eat he has no choice but to go in....also put hay in there they all seem to want to sleep on hay for some reason...
+1

My dog last year would not go in his house either for the longest time. I even left him outside in the rain once thought for sure he would get in out of the rain........nope just sat there staring at the house with a sad look on his face. My son does the "chores" on the weekends and can be a bit lazy (13y.o) and I watched him putting Pulls food inside the dog house. Asked him why he did that and he told me Pull burried his dish. He said he'd been doing that for a while. Now Pull goes in the dog house no problem.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:50 am

Use straw, some parasites live in hay that can hurt a dogs coat.

Get some treats, get dog to eat one, he gets excited then toss one into the house. What other materials did you use? Sealer? caulk? paint latex or oil? Some smells will keep a dog out, I use liquid nails for my caulk, primer is latex and good old barn paint in white latex.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

its the dog

Post by its the dog » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:28 pm

Thanks for the sugestions I have tried the treats and food. In the box and he goes in to get his treat or food then shoots out like a rocket.I even put the same bedding in as the other box.but I did use insulation on this box and stained the outside of it.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:53 pm

My English Setter is the same way. She will lay outside in the cold, snow, rain, etc. but when it gets cold enough and the wind whips up which it is apt to do out where I live she goes in. Just has to get uncomfortable enough for the dog to want to be warm before they will do it.

its the dog

Post by its the dog » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:16 am

Finally mr.hank was in his dog box this morning the cold rain must of forced him to change his mind.