Leather Pinch Collar

Ryan

Leather Pinch Collar

Post by Ryan » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:21 pm

Has anyone found one pinch collar to be better than another? Just wondering what everyone recomends

I have heard the one Dave walker put out is one of the nicer ones
http://www.davewalkerdogs.com/training-aids.htm

Does it really matter? Are they all the same quality and work the same?

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:23 pm

they are pretty simple. i have an old j.a.s.a. that i think came from hulme leather (out of business). file the tips down if they are not already blunted. otherwise, they are pretty simple.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:29 pm

TAK, I think, posted a link a long time ago that listed several leather goods that seemed very high quality at reasonable prices.

Best,

portsider44

Post by portsider44 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:55 pm

I also think Bosun had posted some pics of ones he makes.

gunner

Post by gunner » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:01 pm

John,
They still make the original J.A.S.A leather spike collar at the Winner's Circle Saddlery in Shelbyville, TN.
They're still made from J. A. Sanchez Antunano's original design and the Hulan's patterns.
There are a lot of lousy made fakes being sold, but this is the real thing.
I've gone through about a dozen of them starting when I was training for the public in the '60's, and have always left them sharp, never filing them down.
I never had a dog that would hurt itself, and the collar was used on some of the shyest as well some of the bullheaded ones.
You can get the idea across to the dog in a fraction of the time some trainers would take using a choke chain collar. A vet told me that so many of the kennel coughs that he sees is actually from the jerking around, sometimes damaging the dog's larnax, caused by the choke chain, and heavy hands while in the obedience class.
I get tendenitous in my elbows and shoulders and my old knees won't take being pulled around with some of the he-man brutes that I like to fool with. These characters will handle to me using bascially my little pinky. They standup tall, proud and responsive.
You sure can't win anything today with a dog that slouches or acts intiminated.
It's an old training tool and I think indespencible in a good trainers hands.
Gets me to thinking that somewhere around here I still have a copy of the old Mexican's book on training with his collar.

Bill

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:17 pm

Hulan is the name.

It may be a comment on dogs of yesteryear vs. dogs of today, but i did not blunt the spikes on the dogs i trained with that collar years ago, and they were still a handful. the dog i am training today sits up and takes notice just when i put the collar on her. it does not take much pressure. the collar was probably 20 years old before I took out the file. but it works just as well blunt as with the sharp tips, and avoids the possibility of injury.

i agree with bill on the choke chains and possibility of throat damage. i no longer use a choke chain at all. i did have a great dog years ago, that had a permanent little cough every time it strained against collar or harness, caused by that darn chain. i have a choke collar i use today on young dogs, but it is made of about 1" wide nylon with rings at the ends, rather than chain.

the J.A.S.A. has the advantage of not needing to apply much pressure, as Bill said.

bill, you must of trained an awful lot of dogs to go through that many of those collars. mine is the double thickness one and is still ticking.