So now what?

proudag08

So now what?

Post by proudag08 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:22 am

Ok, so I have chosen a breed after several weeks of research, many questions answered by this forum, several PMs, and one awesome "chance" encounter with some very knowledgeable dog owners.

Now I need a game plan.

Do I get a male or female? Why are females more expensive? Should I start looking for a lease to hunt at? How do I tell if a breeder is any good? How do I tell if a trainer is worth his salt? Is there a particular order I need to go in (i.e choose a gender, then color, then breeder, then trainer, etc)? Do I need to have a trainer picked out before I get a pup? What supplies am I going to need to practice training my dog? What supplies ama I going to need for just owning a dog? Should I start purchasing them now or should I wait? Should I bother the forum with any of this or just google it (i know the answer to that one :D )?

I just need a game plan so I can "gather the troops" and focus on one thing at a time instead or chasing rabbit trails! Thanks as always for your help!

Redfishkilla

Re: So now what?

Post by Redfishkilla » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:27 am

Your ags played a great game against OU.

What breed you want?

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:47 am

I have settled on a GSP.

Thanks! I hope we can keep it up! Who knows, with a few key losses by other teams and the Ags winning out we may have a shot at the championship!

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:49 am

proudag08 wrote: Do I get a male or female?
Suggest male because they are often less expensive and more available (see next answer) and because they do not go into season twice per year, inevitably when you want to hunt, test or trial them.

To head off the question, in either case, I would wait till they were fully physically mature before neutering them. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that suggests that early neutering results in a greater tendency toward ACL and MCL tears in performance dogs. Don't think it matters with foo-foo dogs. That's the vast majority of most vets' practices and what they are, consciously or unconsciously, thinking of when they recommend early neutering. We don't talk foo-foo dogs here. :mrgreen:
proudag08 wrote: Why are females more expensive?
1. Because they can ask more.
2. The ability to produce pups and compete with the breeder.
3. Producing pups out of their line that might dilute their reputation.
proudag08 wrote: Should I start looking for a lease to hunt at?
Next Fall. I would look when you know you're going to go hunting. Till then, I'd look for a trainer that has grounds and birds and will train you and the dog a "commuter" basis vice keeping the dog in residence.
proudag08 wrote: How do I tell if a breeder is any good? How do I tell if a trainer is worth his salt?
Answer to both is twofold: reputation and proven, objective, results.
proudag08 wrote: Is there a particular order I need to go in (i.e choose a gender, then color, then breeder, then trainer, etc)?
I would decide on the pup's characteristics (gender, color, etc), then find a breeder that could supply what I wanted. If I could find a breeder that was also a trainer, I would prefer that. Failing that, a trainer that knows the breeder and trains dogs from that line, etc. But, in any case, a trainer that has grounds and birds and will train you and the dog together.
proudag08 wrote: Do I need to have a trainer picked out before I get a pup?
No.
proudag08 wrote: What supplies am I going to need to practice training my dog?
Starting out, a leash. Bottom line, don't worry about it right now.
proudag08 wrote: What supplies ama I going to need for just owning a dog? Should I start purchasing them now or should I wait?
You should wait.
proudag08 wrote: Should I bother the forum with any of this or just google it (i know the answer to that one :D )?
Both. We like talkings dogs and can keep you straight on what you google up. When you get a deposit down on a puppy, I strongly suggest that you get your hands on the HuntSmith Puppy I and Puppy II DVDs. Buy or borrow. Lots of good, sometimes subtle, information there. I think the most important part is the mindset that they have. Patient and calm.
proudag08 wrote: I just need a game plan so I can "gather the troops" and focus on one thing at a time instead or chasing rabbit trails! Thanks as always for your help!
No problem. That's what we're here for.

Greg J.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:56 am

Thanks Greg! As always, I appreciate your feedback!

Anyone else have any tips for picking a breeder and such?

JeremyS

Post by JeremyS » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:17 pm

Congrats on getting closer to dog ownership. I only wish I had done the due diligence in research that you have done. It would have saved me a lot of time and a couple thousand dollars when I first got into this. My next step would be to decide what you are looking for out of your dog. Do you want to play dog games (field trials, hunt tests, conformation)? Look at breeders that specialize in the type of temperament that you want. Do you want a high energy, big running field trial dog or a tamed down, closer working more versatile dog? Those are generalizations, I know and maybe you want something in between. Based on your previous posts, I would only assume to believe that the latter would be be more suited to your needs. Once you know exactly the temperament and use you need out of your dog, ask more questions to gsp people here as to what breeders or lines they recommend.

ekoog82

Post by ekoog82 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:48 pm

A crate/kennel is great for the dog too IMO.

You'll be happy with a gsp.

O'yeah toys, lots of toys. They love to fetch!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:03 pm

Shop for a sturdy crate that will fit your home/vehicle/grown dog. Plan on teaching the dog to drink from a bucket and a bottle, in addition to a bowl. Find a checkcord that you like the feel of. Get comfortable, sturdy dog training boots that you can ride a horse in if necessary. Learn to ride if you don't already because it is useful in training and if you go on to testing/trialing. Become an excellent shot because training birds are costly. Learn to love pigeons.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:29 pm

Jeremy S,
You are right when you say that I would like a tamed down versitile dog that I could possibly play dog games with. I like achievement and I think if I ever got to a placve where my pup was making progress through the testing ranks I may want to trial him. But my main goal is to be able to run tests rather than trials. but then again, I havent been to either. I may like the more competetive trial circut.

ekoog,
Thanks for the advice. I see that a crate is going to be one of the more urgent supplies I am going to need.

Cajun,
In regards to pigeons, what are they used for? I mean I am about as green as they come so I am unaware of the process as far as training a dog goes. I see a lot of talk about wild birds being a must and check cord this, e collar that, force fetch this, bird launcher that but I dont know what they are used for or why they are used. If you could (or anyone for that matter) explain the basic, 10,000 ft view of the dog training process? Maybe thats a topic for a PM or another thread.

Thanks again!

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:19 pm

Suggest that you keep things focused right now. Don't go off in ten directions at once. There is plenty of time to talk about what you need when you bring home the pup. There is the big stuff that's obvious, then some smaller stuff that will just make things a tad easier. Just stay focused on the search for the moment.

There is a hunt test hosted by the Lone Star GSP Club in Dec. It's being held south of Granbury. Go to the Events Search page on AKC.org and find the hunt test. From there get the name of the club event secretary. Call and tell them that you're a prospective GSP owner and would like to visit. That's not necessary, but it will guarantee you a friendly face and a hand shake when you do get there.

Also start looking at litters in the Dogs For Sale section. You can PM me or others with questions about what means what in those ads just to start getting some education.

Pigeons: great training tool. Suggest that you're quite some time from needing them. Also might be something that you wouldn't want to spring on the wife at this time...

Greg J.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Also might be something that you wouldn't want to spring on the wife at this time...
Ha ha ha Thats for sure Greg! Thanks for the heads up, I already had my sights on that event!

I think I am running into a "hurry up and wait" time period. How far in advance will breeders know what they are going to try to breed?

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:45 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:Pigeons... might be something that you wouldn't want to spring on the wife at this time....
:D Definitely. Let her fall in love with that fuzzy pup first, that'll soften her up some more.

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:47 pm

I have a feeling there are going to be a lot more romantic comedies and foot rubs before we are ready for a pigeon coop! ha ha ha ha

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:01 pm

OK, here are some sample litters that you can look at. Now, I'm just posting things that I know off the top of my head and am comfortable recommending without further research. They are both out of kennels with excellent reputations and have pedigrees that you can rely on. These are further away than you have talked about looking at, but will at least serve to get discussion started. Look up or ask "what does this abbreviation mean? now, what does it mean to me?"

Below, I talk about "top" and "bottom". In this context, by convention, the sire's pedigree from any point is called the top while the dam's is the bottom.

http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/viewto ... 58&t=24422
At last word, there was one pup left in this litter. I'm getting one from this litter myself. Don't know how much more recommendation I can give.

http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/viewto ... 58&t=25784
This litter is closely related on the top. It has a lot of related dogs further back in the bottom.

Some other things that you might do is look at litters posted on the Lone Start GSP and Gulf Coast GSP clubs web sites. http://www.lsgspc.org/ http://www.gulfcoastgsp.com/ , respectively.

Since you now have settled on a GSP, I suggest that you join http://www.shorthairs.net/ . There are lists of breeders and such on there that sometimes aren't here given that we aren't a GSP site.

Greg J.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:05 pm

BTW, while I am thinking about it, above, I mistakenly left a stronger impression about neutering than I meant to. Be aware that if you spay/neuter a dog, you cannot compete with them in field trials or show/conformation.

Greg J.

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:34 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:BTW, while I am thinking about it, above, I mistakenly left a stronger impression about neutering than I meant to. Be aware that if you spay/neuter a dog, you cannot compete with them in field trials or show/conformation.

Greg J.
One further point of clarification; spayed/neutered dogs ARE allowed in field trials and are only banned from participating in conformation shows.

FYI,
Dave

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:04 pm

Thank you, Dave. I've been running under that assumption for 15 years. Learn something new every day.

Greg J

proudag08

Post by proudag08 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:12 pm

What is a conformation show?

I was planning on having him or her spayed/neutered. Never been around a dog that is not. I'm confused. I dont plan on breeding him or her (as of right now) but how does that lead to ACL trouble?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:38 pm

Conformation is like a "dog show". Like the Westminster or Krufts shows that you see on Animal Planet. Judging a dog's physical and some other attributes against the breed standard.

Yah, yah, I know. I'm leaving tons out. But, he is a newbie. We don't want to overcomplicate things.

The general thought is that early neutering deprives the dog of hormones...e.g., testosterone, that are needed for full development of muscle, ligaments, etc. Not everyone agrees. Many here do.

At any rate, just don't succumb to vet pressure to spay/neuter early.

Greg J

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:11 pm

I remember being where you were what seems like weeks ago, but was actually 3 years or so ago. I was slightly different in that I have been bird hunting since elementary school but had not owned my own dog.

Here are a few things I would do if I was in your position right now.
1. Going attend a hunt test, field trial, NSTRA, NAVHDA event if you can. Even if you say you aren't going to get involved eventually you probably will and it will make it easier for you to understand what a breeder is talking about and the venues their dogs participate in.
2. Go do some bird hunting. By attending some of these events you might be able to get an invite to tag along and see some dogs work. There are major differences between quail hunting, duck hunting and dove hunting. When you start talking to breeders that have dogs that participate in the venue you like there is a good chance you will get an invite to see some dogs work or see their dogs at an event.
3. Books/DVDs- go ahead and get a few books and or DVD's and start studying. Everything may not make perfect sense the first time through, but then when you see things later on they will make more sense.
4. Seeing some fully trained dogs is a beautiful thing to watch, but remember it takes a long time to get there. Take time and enjoy your pup while its a puppy.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:20 pm

There are several good liters out there or in the planning stage right now. Pick a great pup, but be sure to have plenty of birds ready to go when you bring the pup home. IMO a pup shouldn't come home until the birds are bought and ready to use!

Nitrex