Benny Spies.....

Sylvan001

Benny Spies.....

Post by Sylvan001 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:23 am

What do you folk think about his show? I really like it..I've never witnessed Dakota Pheasant hunting as on his show on vs. Last night (friday pm 9:00)....love to try it someday..Gregg

56-26

Re: Benny Spies.....

Post by 56-26 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:18 pm

I like his show it's not your normal hunting show

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:25 pm

Road hunting is not my idea of hunting. I Like the informal, real world atmosphere but was disappointed to see them road hunting pheasant. Could have promoted the sport of bird hunting a lot better than that IMHO.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:43 pm

mudhunter wrote:Road hunting is not my idea of hunting. I Like the informal, real world atmosphere but was disappointed to see them road hunting pheasant. Could have promoted the sport of bird hunting a lot better than that IMHO.
Road hunting is very popular in SD. It is legal, also. Not the way I like to hunt, but I have done it in my youth.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:04 pm

Thats the way many of the locals hunt in Iowa. Drive till you see one and get out and shoot.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:15 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Thats the way many of the locals hunt in Iowa. Drive till you see one and get out and shoot.

Ezzy
They do that in AZ for elk. Just like the mountain men did. :wink:

Quite a sport -- "Hey Jimmie, turn down the radio for a second - I'm gonna plug me an elk!"

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:16 pm

Birddogz wrote:
mudhunter wrote:Road hunting is not my idea of hunting. I Like the informal, real world atmosphere but was disappointed to see them road hunting pheasant. Could have promoted the sport of bird hunting a lot better than that IMHO.
Road hunting is very popular in SD. It is legal, also. Not the way I like to hunt, but I have done it in my youth.

By road hunting surely you mean hunting ditches and not driving around and jumping out when one crosses the road?

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:25 pm

Well, actually, if you are driving to another place to hunt, and a rooster runs in front of your truck into a ditch, you get out and flush it and kill it. Totally legal. I don't do it anymore, but when I was young, I killed everything! :D Limits were a suggestion to me then, not a law. LOL I am reformed now. :lol:
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:29 pm

I am just surprised they would actually show that on a hunting show.

Sylvan001

Post by Sylvan001 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:27 pm

Benny is blue collar.Road hunting or not... rural tv . We need more rural realtv.Show it real or forgewt about it... My 2 Gregg

rkelly

Post by rkelly » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:36 pm

I like the show. Did a lot of road hunting growing up in ND, we didn't have dogs and just wanted to fill a limit. Now days I have no desire to road hunt, I want to shoot them over my dog. I have no problem with it though, and it is perfectly legal.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:57 am

No problem with it done by the law....upon cresting a hill in ND between two potholes full of roosting ducks I see a toyota at the bottom of the hill between the two potholes with gun barrels out both windows.....that I gotta problem with.

BTW- They had ND tags....and this was on DU's Coteau property.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:05 am

Deer season here is even worse. I won't hunt my dogs the 1st 2 days of deer.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:07 am

Yuck...not my cup of good old boy, this is the real deal show.
Better than Michael Wadell Ah, shucking it thru 30 minutes tho.

gripper39

Post by gripper39 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:11 pm

Just got back from hunting in SD and road hunting is very legal there. It was looked at as hunting on the way to hunting and it was not get out and shoot it was get out and hunt the ditch. It was an interesting experience you would see one bird cross the road and step in the ditch and twenty jump out. Although I did some road hunting I had more fun hunting over my pup and I am happy that he got to experience SD.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:40 am

I saw on one section road I traveled in SD, an older man running two gsp's from a 4 wheeler along a gravel section road....he said he was too old to take the big walks but loved still being able to see the dogs point a rooster.....

When I get too old to walk with the dogs, I'm sure I would be happy I had the opportunity to get out and take a couple birds by any legal means....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:42 am

I think the two wildest examples of road hunting I've ever seen were actually off road hunting. I was hunting Owyhee Co Idaho for sage hen and saw 4 guys in a jacked up 4x4 pickup, 2 in the cab with shotguns sticking out the window and two in the bed sitting on folding lawn chairs with guns across their laps. The truck was bouncing through the sage brush following a couple of GSPs. The other one was above Morehouse Resv. in Utah when some bozo was chasing a Britt through the woods on and ATV bouncing over logs hunting blue grouse. All of these were healthy guys in their 30's or 40's.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:44 pm

When I think of road hunting I think of riding around in the truck and jumping out to shoot when a bird crosses the road... Not sure what isn't sporting about walking and hunting ditches?

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:44 pm

Full disclosure: I produce a bird hunting show on the same network. Now, I can let loose.

The one episode I watched had:

1. Shooting from a road
2. Shooting over a road
3. Running with a loaded gun
4. Pointing a loaded gun at camera operator and other hunters
5. "Hunting" while standing next to a No Hunting sign
6. Neck-wringing of birds on camera
7. Climbing through a fence holding a gun

If I ever do any of those things on TV or off, feel free to slap me upside the head. Redneck or not, he is an embarassment to our sport and the quarry.
There, I said it.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:56 pm

Holy Smokes! I guess I am going to have to catch an episode and see for myself!

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:28 am

fishvik wrote:
I think the two wildest examples of road hunting I've ever seen were actually off road hunting. I was hunting Owyhee Co Idaho for sage hen and saw 4 guys in a jacked up 4x4 pickup, 2 in the cab with shotguns sticking out the window and two in the bed sitting on folding lawn chairs with guns across their laps. The truck was bouncing through the sage brush following a couple of GSPs. The other one was above Morehouse Resv. in Utah when some bozo was chasing a Britt through the woods on and ATV bouncing over logs hunting blue grouse. All of these were healthy guys in their 30's or 40's.

Why would this frond upon? People on plantations hunt out of buggy's, jeeps. The boys in Texas hunt from trucks and Jeeps. The guys in the high plains hunt off of horse back for chukar. All have there dogs out in front of them hunting and pointing birds. Hech, you come to northern Minnesota you'll see more people riding the back roads hunting from there truck with a six pack next to them with NO dogs then you'll see folks hunting with dogs.

I guess why I frown on it is that shooting from a motorized vehicle whether on or off road is illegal in both of these states. In addition taking a vehicle off a well established road on public land is also illegal in parts of both states. In the case of the Utah hunter it was a danger factor to have a loaded shotgun resting on your lap while you are riding off trail over logs and such. Unless you are physically impaired (which none of the hunters in the above were), in my opinion it also show a high degree of laziness.

smilinicon

Post by smilinicon » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:31 am

thank you Mr. Linden!

Saw a preview of BS skyblasting geese that flew over... won't ever watch it after seeing that.

jayhawkj

Post by jayhawkj » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:41 am

Scott Linden wrote:Full disclosure: I produce a bird hunting show on the same network. Now, I can let loose.

1. Shooting from a road
2. Shooting over a road

If I ever do any of those things on TV or off, feel free to slap me upside the head. Redneck or not, he is an embarassment to our sport and the quarry.
There, I said it.
Scott, I agree with you on every point!

brule

Post by brule » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:44 am

I like the show, and too each their own.

"Hech, you come to northern Minnesota you'll see more people riding the back roads hunting from there truck with a six pack next to them with NO dogs then you'll see folks hunting with dogs."

I agree, I'm from northern WI and this is about the only way guys hunt grouse. I used to be included in that group. Now I'd rather hunt behind my dog, just more pleasure in it. Somedays that is.

Sylvan001

Post by Sylvan001 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:14 pm

I never did state that Benny does it all by the book. Quite the opposite. Still I find his show entertaining.how he ever got his own show puzzles me somewhat but good luck to him. Gregg

Tall Boy

Post by Tall Boy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:56 pm

gpblitz wrote:
fishvik wrote:I think the two wildest examples of road hunting I've ever seen were actually off road hunting. I was hunting Owyhee Co Idaho for sage hen and saw 4 guys in a jacked up 4x4 pickup, 2 in the cab with shotguns sticking out the window and two in the bed sitting on folding lawn chairs with guns across their laps. The truck was bouncing through the sage brush following a couple of GSPs. The other one was above Morehouse Resv. in Utah when some bozo was chasing a Britt through the woods on and ATV bouncing over logs hunting blue grouse. All of these were healthy guys in their 30's or 40's.
Why would this frond upon? People on plantations hunt out of buggy's, jeeps. The boys in Texas hunt from trucks and Jeeps. The guys in the high plains hunt off of horse back for chukar. All have there dogs out in front of them hunting and pointing birds. Hech, you come to northern Minnesota you'll see more people riding the back roads hunting from there truck with a six pack next to them with NO dogs then you'll see folks hunting with dogs.
Why does a truck full of idiots who don't care enough about Nature to want to walk through woods not bother you? Not to mention these same fools are destroying good cover and killing wild birds they don't deserve. just my .02!

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Tall Boy wrote:
gpblitz wrote:
fishvik wrote:I think the two wildest examples of road hunting I've ever seen were actually off road hunting. I was hunting Owyhee Co Idaho for sage hen and saw 4 guys in a jacked up 4x4 pickup, 2 in the cab with shotguns sticking out the window and two in the bed sitting on folding lawn chairs with guns across their laps. The truck was bouncing through the sage brush following a couple of GSPs. The other one was above Morehouse Resv. in Utah when some bozo was chasing a Britt through the woods on and ATV bouncing over logs hunting blue grouse. All of these were healthy guys in their 30's or 40's.
Why does a truck full of idiots who don't care enough about Nature to want to walk through woods not bother you? Not to mention these same fools are destroying good cover and killing wild birds they don't deserve. just my .02!
Huge difference between between following big running dogs from a ranger or jeep on pasture/oil field roads and a "truck full of idiots".

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:31 pm

Scott Linden wrote:Full disclosure: I produce a bird hunting show on the same network. Now, I can let loose.

1. Shooting from a road
2. Shooting over a road

There, I said it.
Watched my first episode this morning, didn't really think much was wrong with it fairly entertaining.... until they started cruising around in the RV with guns loaded and jumping out trying to kill birds. That in my opinion is not sporting and should not be on TV passed off as hunting. I am honestly surprised Versus even allowed it to air.

Tall Boy

Post by Tall Boy » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:40 pm

ACooper wrote:
Tall Boy wrote:.
Huge difference between between following big running dogs from a ranger or jeep on pasture/oil field roads and a "truck full of idiots".[/quote]

I'm going to stick with my original analysis :)