best places for south dakota wia

bwear

best places for south dakota wia

Post by bwear » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:01 pm

Hey guys i know nobody wants to give up those special spots they love but i could use some help. We are headed back out to South Dakota in mid December our first trip wasn't that great we leased some ground that didn't have much for food source on it. We are going back and gonna try and find some private ground maybe for next year or this year and some walk in areas. My question is where should i start looking what areas of the state anybody have any inside connections. Or just which areas to hit the best and most walk in areas. If you don't want to post on here shoot me a message all help will be appreciated. THanks ahead of time guys.

SD Pheasant Slayer

Re: best places for south dakota wia

Post by SD Pheasant Slayer » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:39 pm

North central South Dakota (Webster - Aberdeen area) is probably the densest area of walkin areas and there are a lot of birds as well. You can get the online atlas at SDGF&P or pick up the hard copy at most gas stations when you get here. It's a priceless tool to have at your disposal. The only drawback is the weather... it seems like its that area is hit the hardest by every storm that passes through and in December, you can almost count on a fair bit of snow on the ground and very cold temps. Probably worth it though. Good luck!
Almost Heaven's Daddy's Paycheck - "Cash"

"In the end, our society will be defined not by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy."
- John Sawhill

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:59 am

SD Pheasant Slayer wrote:North central South Dakota (Webster - Aberdeen area) is probably the densest area of walkin areas and there are a lot of birds as well. You can get the online atlas at SDGF&P or pick up the hard copy at most gas stations when you get here. It's a priceless tool to have at your disposal. The only drawback is the weather... it seems like its that area is hit the hardest by every storm that passes through and in December, you can almost count on a fair bit of snow on the ground and very cold temps. Probably worth it though. Good luck!

I have hunted that area the last 3 years. I would go to Webster and hunt west of there.

bowhunter1221975

Post by bowhunter1221975 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:00 am

chambrlin Sd was good to us last year lots of walkin areas with lots of birds
RICHARD NANCE

bowhunter1221975

Post by bowhunter1221975 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:07 am

if you have a GPS you can go online and download all wma areas in SD its nice they are color coded and works well to find them small walkins that are not hunted hard
RICHARD NANCE

A/C Guy

Post by A/C Guy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:09 pm

We just got back from Kimbel, SD. It is just west of Mitchell, SD. Near Milemarker 360 on the interstate. We limited each day. The first day took 4 hours to shoot our limit, the other days only took about 2 hours each day . It was almost too easy, I wish the hunts took a little longer, but you shoot when you can because you never know if there will be another chance. 15 guys, 45 birds in under 2 miles each day (6 miles the first day). We saw well over 1000 birds, mostly hens, which is great for next year. I personally saw at least 200 roosters escape each day by flying out of range ahead of us as we walked the fields, so I know there are plenty left to make babies for next year. It was amazing to see that many birds get away and still have hundreds to shoot at. Unless you are an excellent shot, you will need a dog to retrieve. Pheasant are hard to kill and can take a lot of lead in the body, fold up and tumble in the air, then after the initial shock, get up and run off.
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams.

bwear

Post by bwear » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:15 pm

thanks everyone keep the info comin. A/C guy i take it you were on a preserve doin drives maybe? Also have you guys had any luck with asking farmers for private ground?