transporting dogs

Birddogz

transporting dogs

Post by Birddogz » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:10 pm

I need a way to transport my dogs from ND to SC. The airlines won't do it. Are there any services that transport dogs that are reputable?
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

bowhunter1221975

Re: transporting dogs

Post by bowhunter1221975 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:15 pm

first of all are you flying to sc or are you just sending the dogs

if you are flying there is no way the air line can not take your dogs if you do the paper work
if you are just flying your dogs i dont know but some air lines do fly (PETS)
RICHARD NANCE

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:20 pm

Not saying that its the best option, just pointing out that we have a member that provides that kind of service. See
http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/viewto ... le#p186848

Greg J.

windswept

Post by windswept » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:08 pm

Give Chuck a call at Gundog Express. I've used him a couple of times and have been very happy. He is from North Dakota and I know he is leaving Monday morning to make a run south. He's hauling a dog for me from SD to TX. Here's a link http://www.gundogexpress.com/Delivery.html

Tom

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:35 pm

I will be flying in the early summer, and returning in the late summer. The airlines tell me it is too hot then.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:35 pm

windswept wrote:Give Chuck a call at Gundog Express. I've used him a couple of times and have been very happy. He is from North Dakota and I know he is leaving Monday morning to make a run south. He's hauling a dog for me from SD to TX. Here's a link http://www.gundogexpress.com/Delivery.html

Tom
Thanks for the info.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:41 pm

Birddogz wrote:
windswept wrote:Give Chuck a call at Gundog Express. I've used him a couple of times and have been very happy. He is from North Dakota and I know he is leaving Monday morning to make a run south. He's hauling a dog for me from SD to TX. Here's a link http://www.gundogexpress.com/Delivery.html

Tom
Thanks for the info.
Id call or email him quick, he is making a trip this weekend.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:49 pm

I don't need them to be there until the end of May.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:10 pm

Have you checked with Continental? I think I remember that their service being different.

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:13 pm

The end of May the temps are way too hot. They won't ship over 85 degrees. Period.

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:11 pm

I have flown puppies all over the US. You just have to be a little flexible in scheduling. End of May is certainly doable. You just keep an eye on the 10 day forecasts for departing city and destination. Also choose early morning flights. Flying from ND is a little tougher as they typically go to Minneapolis first, but still doable. Also I believe it is Continental that offers or use to offer a service that you could fly them at any temp, as they were kept in climate controlled areas the entire time. Costs more, but gets the job done
Mark Dinsmore
Proud owner of
GrCHF GRCH Vernon de L'Escarbot AKC MH Rest up my boy, until I meet up to hunt with you again
CH Ardoise des Deux Pierres Bleue TAN 14 years together and it was not long enough
TR Jabo de El Matochar CH -CS -IB
CHF CH Darius de L'Eoile du Nord TAN
CH E'toile du Mas D'Pataula TAN
L'Etoile du Ten Bar Ranch
Messi de L'Etoile du Nord
Meg de Sugar Creek
Orion de L'Etoile du Nord
Persese de L'Etoile du Nord

http://www.ebretons.com

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:42 pm

The end of May the temps are way too hot. They won't ship over 85 degrees. Period.
Getting by the 85 degree limit is easy, all you need is an acclimation on the Health Certificate from the vet. We ship to and from SC all the time. Delta and Northwestern are the two carriers we use.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:06 pm

+1 for Vagabond Hounds

Nitrex

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:38 pm

+1 for Steve. He will also talk to you if you want to meet somewhere close by (last minute)...509.570 four zero zero nine. I had a card in my truck....

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:45 pm

Delta flies dogs in the heat.

Doug

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:36 am

If you decide to ship with any airlines durning summer months they will check thier own weather info for heat index. Delta who I've shipped dogs all over the U.S. will not ship to any destination unless the temps are under 85 degrees. I've had the problem for years. In years past it wasn't so much a big deal within a couple degrees, but here lately they won't do it. Here's the number for Delta. 888-736-3738. Winter isn't such a problem, but summer is.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:07 am

Delta who I've shipped dogs all over the U.S. will not ship to any destination unless the temps are under 85 degrees.
If the Health Cdertificate has an acclimation on it from the vet, Delta will ship above 85 degrees. You have posted that twice and you are wrong. WE DO IT REGULARLY.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:14 am

My son did a Rogaine experiment for school w/o my permission! :twisted:

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:53 am

Yawallac wrote:
Delta who I've shipped dogs all over the U.S. will not ship to any destination unless the temps are under 85 degrees.
If the Health Cdertificate has an acclimation on it from the vet, Delta will ship above 85 degrees. You have posted that twice and you are wrong. WE DO IT REGULARLY.
Sorry, but Delta has never told me that. But they are a bunch of Morons when trying to deal with them.

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:12 pm

I not looking for a fight here, but I just got off the phone with Delta . Their exact words are " We will not ship any animal to a city where the temps are 85 degrees or over when the animal arrives at destintation". I've tried the Vet deal and Delta won't buy it. Only exception is in Alaska. Don't know about Continental, but it's also on the web site for Delta Cargo. Just going by what they say. I've tried it too many times. :?:

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:40 pm

We ship Delta out of Columbia, SC and Charlotte, NC. Our lows during the summer are 85 degrees. :lol:

...but I'm sure you're right.

kensfishing

Post by kensfishing » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:58 pm

Like I said. If the destination is 85 or over they won't ship. It's also posted on their site.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:01 pm

If the destination is 85 or over they won't ship.

We not only ship out, we ship in. I wonder how they get here? :lol:

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:57 pm

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservati ... /index.jsp
Weather Restrictions
Summer Restrictions—May 15 through September 15

* Pets cannot be checked as baggage on Delta and Aeromexico operated flights.
* Pets may be shipped as cargo. See below for year-round temperature restrictions including live birds and snub-nosed breeds.
* Prices for shipping pets as cargo are different from shipping pets as baggage. And, cargo locations may not be located in the airport terminal, so be sure to contact 1-888-SENDPET (736-3738) for details.

Winter Embargo—November 1 through March 31

Animals will not be accepted as checked baggage on flights operated between Salt Lake City, UT (SLC) and Sun Valley, ID (SUN), Twin Falls, ID (TWF), or Jackson Hole, WY (JAC).
Year-round Restrictions

Delta will not accept animals as checked baggage but may ship as cargo during extreme weather if at any point during the animal's trip the temperature is forecast to be:
Below Above

* 20° Fahrenheit (-7°C)

* 70° Fahrenheit (21.1°C) for for snub- or pug-nosed dogs and cats. See chart below.
* 85° Fahrenheit (29.4°C) for all other breeds.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

sigav8r

Post by sigav8r » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:37 pm

For those that have used Vagabondhound, do they usually get back with you in a timely manner? I filled out my online request form, called 2-3 times and have not heard anything since I originally talked with Steve. The plan was to have the dog early/middle of next week, but I cannot get ahold of him. Is this normal? I'm about to book with someone else if I don't hear back from him by tomorrow.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:41 pm

you might ask snips which transport she posted about being extremely displeased with
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

sigav8r

Post by sigav8r » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:08 pm

Thanks, I was wondering if anyone else had had any similar problems. Guess that answers that question!