Noodling

Ryan

Noodling

Post by Ryan » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:08 am

Watching a little TV and seen these 2 guys from oklahoma fishing for catfish by sticking their hands down hols and hoping a catfish bites them.

These catfish can get 100+ pounds and apparently people have been pulled under and have died. These 2 guys then go on to tell us that its not the 100+ pound catfish you have to worry about, its the copperheads, snapping turtles, beavers, and muskrats.

Has anyone here noodled? Tell me your story here I really want to try this if I go south.

ohiogsp

Post by ohiogsp » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:12 am

You do know this is a dog forum right? :lol: :lol: We do this up here in northern ohio in the rivers. Here it is the snapping turtles that are bad. We don't usually get 100lb fish more like 20 to 50lbs. Catfish meat is really good soak it in milk with lots of salt for a least a day. Then fry it or smoke it. Smoking it is really good because it is a fatty meat. Just go out to a river and put your hand in the holes in the rocks on the bottom. You are sure to catch something. :lol: :lol:

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:15 am

...and apparently people have been pulled under and have died.
Oh brother... :lol:

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:16 am

Stupid ......wasn't tattooed across my forehead

I have seen some of those shows ..those guys all sound like they rode the short bus to school
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:20 pm

I've done it, the biggest I ever hauled in was about a 25 pounder.

If you really want to know what a fight is take a big pair of vise grips and clamp them aroudn your arm above your wrist and then attach a large weight and thrw your arm around..... while standing in water.

Believe it or not it is kinda fun.

<<FYI..I rode the long bus to school!>>

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:54 pm

ROTFLMAO :lol:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:16 pm

LOL " I rode the long bus to school" thats awsome.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:36 pm

I know people who do but I just never felt the need to do something that stupid. I've seen a few broken fingers and scraped up arms. Just doesn't look like that much fun to me.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:55 pm

What??? There is long buses?

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:47 am

Why noodle when you can build yer own "box"? Use a long wood box, put small holes in it so it will sink after you add some rocks, a large hole up front so they can get in and sit. You come along, put hands inside hold so he dont get out, snag him by the gills and pull him out. Used in deep holes on the platte and elkhorn around here will get you some in the 35 to 70 lb. range at the right time of the year :) aint gonna tell all tho :) we will be smoking up some this weekend for Lent :) got orders from folks that have had it in past years. It is real tastey. Folk that hate fish will taste it and grab a whole fillet :) only fish some will eat right outta my smoker we built some years ago.. the missouri is shallow now but I dont catfish there, let them recover from the commercial guys over fishing.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

txtrigger2003

Post by txtrigger2003 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:55 pm

Someone got me a gag gift one time: a DVD titled "Girls Gone Grabblin'" Seriously -- check it out at http://www.catfishgrabblers.com/

Grabblin' is apparently another name for Noodling. Take a tough fella to tame them grabblin' gals! :laughing6:

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:30 pm

hey, the snapping turtles are just as good to eat as the catfish. better i think.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:33 pm

Wagonmaster wrote:hey, the snapping turtles are just as good to eat as the catfish. better i think.
While I agree, I do think it would not be very much fun to catch a snapper with this type of "fishing."
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:49 pm

hey, what is a finger or two or five. fair trade for a good supper, ain't it?

they had a great show about this on public TV about three weeks ago. a documentary about a big noodling contest, complete with weigh-ins, etc.

ohiogsp

Post by ohiogsp » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:09 pm

We get some huge snappers around here. I make a killer snapper soup it is kind of like new england clam chouder. Now I have to go eat supper.

draebi

Noodling

Post by draebi » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:36 am

Ryan,
I have been known to do a little noodling myself whenever I could talk to short bus busdriver into dropping me off at the river. :wink: Seriously if you come down to Oklahoma sometime during the summer let me know and I will try to let you see what it is like to get ahold of a big old catfish in his environment. I took one of my buddies out for the first time couple of summer ago and he pulled an 87 pound flathead out from under a big log, I think he was starting to wonder if he had ahold of it or it had ahold of him. :lol: The conditions have to be right; weather, level of the river, my schedule, etc. but may be able to make it work if you are in the area at the right time. Too bad noodling season does not coincide with quail and pheasant season or we could make a really fun weekend out of it. Ryan

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:19 pm

Welcome to the board draebi. Is your name Ryan too?
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

draebi

Noodling

Post by draebi » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:13 am

Ayres,
Thanks for the welcome. Yes my name is also Ryan. I have been reading the forum for a while now and have been trying to learn as much as I can. I have been hunting my whole life basically but am just now starting to train my first bird dog on my own. Thanks, Ryan