Looking for a Pro Dog Trainers Virginia / Carolina

Champ2010

Looking for a Pro Dog Trainers Virginia / Carolina

Post by Champ2010 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:33 pm

I am new to the forum and new to owning a gun dog. I hunt mostly ducks in the open waters on the coast of Virginia but will expand my hunting range once I start hunting with my companion.
I have a new lab pup 13 weeks old. He is well bred and working hard on the training basics. I am looking for some top notch trainers in Virginia or North Carolina who can take my dog to the next level and make him the best he can be for both ducks and upland hunting.
At what point should I bring in a pro?
What are some of the training goals I should have for my dog in order to get him ready to be professionally trained?
What should I look for in a trainer?
What can I expect as far as length of time of training?
What is a reasonable cost?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Brittguy

Re: Looking for a Pro Dog Trainers Virginia / Carolina

Post by Brittguy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:59 pm

I really can't help you very much. If I were in your place I would just work on obedience a lot, for a few months.. When he is really good , then you might send him to a trainer. Check with retriever people and see who they recommend . hopefully there will be someone within driving distance so you can check on progress in person.

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:49 pm

A little young at this point for a trainer I think.You need to Bond with the pup,Socialize it,take it for walks and give it some exposure to sights,sounds,and even some game.That's about all a trainer could do at that age,and Charge you for it.
Dog On Point!!

RVBrittHuntr

Post by RVBrittHuntr » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:20 pm

When you are ready for a trainer, look at Clay Moose in Hickory, NC. He will so wonders for your pup. His number is 828-238-8638.