Gordon Setter Folks?

KYBobwhite

Gordon Setter Folks?

Post by KYBobwhite » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:45 pm

Anybody else got field bred gordons out there? Here's one of my females.

ohiogsp

Post by ohiogsp » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:33 pm

Great point. Not many of those out there. Last weekend I was at a couple hunt test put on by a gordan club and never seen anything like that.

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:51 pm

That is a nice looking Gordon.

Ohiogsp. I too usually never see gordons at a gordon test that look this nice. An old joke around here is that if your taking your dog to a gordon test for any level that needs honoring you better practice by throwing a black and tan rug over a saw horse.

http://www.wyndancer.com/index.html
These people are friends of mine that do a real nice job with field bred Gordons

NDBDHunter

Post by NDBDHunter » Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:03 pm

Them are fighten words....Why your dog doesn't even have a tail. Just a stub. :lol:

I too have a couple field gordons. I can't see your picture on my computer but from the raves I'm sure it's nice.

ohiogsp

Post by ohiogsp » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:06 pm

LMAO :lol: :lol:

Know what, I don't think I seen a gordon is any event but JH. I am sure there are good ones I just haven't seen them.

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:10 pm

Them are fighten words....Why your dog doesn't even have a tail. Just a stub.
I thought something was missing when I picked him up from the breeder!!!

I say it jokingly as ohiogsp points out most of what you see at HT are JH show dogs. But when I guy gets a chance to see a nice field bred Gordon it will change your view of the breed. I've seen some darn nice ones over the years. Not saying I'd wanna give up my wash & wear coat for one of those high maintenence jobs but a good field gordon is a good dog.

crittercontrol

Re: Gordon Setter Folks?

Post by crittercontrol » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:58 pm

KYBobwhite wrote:Anybody else got field bred gordons out there?
Yup! I do.

Chris

Post by Chris » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:08 pm

That gordon of crittercontrols is a real nice dog I got to see it a few weeks ago at a trial in utah

NBDBHunter

There was also a gordon there that had a stub for a tail Its mother apperently did not like it when it was a pup and shortend it a bit

NDBDHunter

Post by NDBDHunter » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:37 am

Crittercontrol,
How did your dog perform?

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:39 am

Nice looking Gordon. We had a rescue and I will have another one of these days. This one belongs to a friend of mine.
Colin

KYBobwhite

Gordon Setters

Post by KYBobwhite » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:21 am

Thank you for the kind words. I would like to run her in some hunts but she's not crazy about retrieving tame birds. I primarily hunt wild birds and have found that my gordons lose some style and interest on pen raised birds. Here is a picture of my male. I almost messed him up on tame birds (flagging) but he's coming out of it.

NDBDHunter

Post by NDBDHunter » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:31 am

KYBobwhite,
What lines do your dogs come from?

KYBobwhite

Gordons

Post by KYBobwhite » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:39 am

My female is from Intraset kennels in DeSoto, MO and my male is from Ashcraft Kennels in Watertown, TN. They both have a background in intraset, belmore, milomix and springset. I also have a female pup from Melrose Kennels in Bates City, MO. Both my male and female were natural backers and retrievers.

crittercontrol

Post by crittercontrol » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:34 pm

NDBDHunter wrote:Crittercontrol,
How did your dog perform?
Not so good. She found a few birds each brace, but her retrieveing leaves something to be desired. And when she gets stressed out she'll lay down on point, something she prompty did twice at the trial.

She scored well considering that though.

It was also nice not to be the only guy out their with gordons!
:)
caleb

crittercontrol

Post by crittercontrol » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:35 pm

Chris wrote:That gordon of crittercontrols is a real nice dog I got to see it a few weeks ago at a trial in utah

NBDBHunter

There was also a gordon there that had a stub for a tail Its mother apperently did not like it when it was a pup and shortend it a bit
Thanks for the kind words.

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:27 pm

Here's My Buddy out of Springset at about 4months old.Image

Retrieving at Hasting Island Image

Making sure this bird don't get up and run away.Image
Billy
"Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change"

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=147

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=152

NDBDHunter

Post by NDBDHunter » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:32 am

KYBobwhite, & llewgor

Nice looking dogs!

sdgord

gordons

Post by sdgord » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:53 pm

I also have a few just cant seem to be able to post the photos.SDGORD

Casper

Post by Casper » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:03 pm

Here you go Robert. Some nice dogs :wink:

sdgords Gordon setters

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:04 pm

Beautiful, I like that look the pup in the 2nd picture is giving you. Most Gordon owners have seen that look, that loving puppy look.

Do any of your Gordons talk? My walks around the house waggin his tail and walking sideways making a funny noise like uurr.
Billy

sdgord

gordon setters

Post by sdgord » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:19 am

Billy, same dog all three photos, she will turn four this year, she is just a tiny little thing. 21 inches tall and 32 pounds during hunting season. The first photo is a pair of chickens she pointed last fall, the second is a trip with Featherman in SD, the third is a photo Greg Dixon took of her either in Wisconsin or Texas. All three of my Gordons talk,Tink the dog in photos roos only when she thinks she gets to go hunting. Tink is working on her SH and has horseback derby points, she is a hunting fool. SDGORD

sdgord

gordon

Post by sdgord » Sat Apr 08, 2006 6:22 am

Casper thanks for posting the pics for me one of these days I will get it figured out.SDGORD

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:48 pm

WOW she sure is a little thing, guess that's why her name is Tinker. My is 23" to the shoulder and weighs 50lbs but I've seen 25 or more and weighing 65 lbs or more. They look like deerhounds to me as my might look to yours. Thanks for posting your pics.
Billy

Tallgrass

Post by Tallgrass » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:40 pm

SDGord
On another board you mentioned that you're breeding Tink to Stetson. How's that going?

sdgord

Gordon

Post by sdgord » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:22 pm

Tom, not breeding Tink to Stetson, plan on breeding her to CH Tartana Hubert Featherman MH. Her OFA came back excellent and she has ben DNA'ed the only drawback is she is late coming in season. We will breed her whenever that happens, when my Annie dog finishes her MH we will breed her to Stetson if possible.SDGORD

crittercontrol

Post by crittercontrol » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:34 pm

Nice lookin' dogs!

Finally some pics! :)

always,

caleb

KYBobwhite

That's good stuff

Post by KYBobwhite » Mon Apr 10, 2006 5:23 am

sdgord,
Great looking dog. Great to see some field gordons getting it done.

NDBDHunter

Post by NDBDHunter » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:36 am

SDGord,
Sorry about that, apparently I remembered it wrong. There's a guy in Fertile MN that has a Hubert pup. What a nice dog he is too. He's only 8 or 9 months old and has a lot of desire. If your breeding works out those pups should be nice dogs. That puppy in Fertile MN, Briar, has a natural back loves to retrieve, and is pointing , doing all the things a good dog should do. He's not "soft", it appears he can take some pressure and not break. If you know what I mean.

sdgord

gordon

Post by sdgord » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:23 pm

ND, funny you should mention Briar, got to see him his first time on pheasants. We had Tink, Hubert and Briar on the ground just meandering around. Tink pointed a bird, Hubert backed from about fifty yards and Briar was about 20 yards behind Hubert and honored. He was just around six months old, I was impressed with his abilities for being just a babe. His owner Jerry, I forget his last name is a definate nice guy. He will make sure Briar gets plenty of chances.SDGORD

NDBDHunter

Post by NDBDHunter » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:41 am

Jerry is a good guy. He has a great set-up in Fertile MN. Lots of land and wild birds to run his dog on. His dog will see lots of birds in his life, that's for sure.

Will you still run your female at the hunt test if she's been bred?

What method did you use to break your dog? Did you use the e-collar, pinch collar or......???? Are you doing it yourself?

I thought my female was fairly soft and couldn't take too much pressure but she's holding her own in the breaking process. She's starting to get the idea. But I know there's a lot more time and birds required.

sdgord

gordon setter

Post by sdgord » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:51 pm

Tom, whoa breaking we do away from birds, only when they are reliable to the whoa command do we introduce the bird. Tink really resisted the breaking process, I thought she was soft at first but she just wants to do things her way. Annie was broke to wing and shot at 11 months, she just did not get the retrieve thing. Tink spent lots of time with Dixon, and Annie was trained by Joe Cain of JW kennels at LeMars Iowa. Tink has gotten refresher courses from Joe. He is a real soft hand and his kennels are cleaner than my house. If Tink is bred before the North Country event we will run her she wont be more than three weeks along even if she is bred this week. My fear is that she will come in to season the 27th. While I enjoy the hunt test and field trial games my dogs are still first and foremost hunting dogs, they get an average of sixty days on wild birds. Trying to make it more, SDGORD

GSP4619

Post by GSP4619 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:05 am

LMAO I say long live the stub :) And nice looking dog their.

NDBDHunter

Post by NDBDHunter » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:37 pm

It makes me wonder when GSP people get in on the discussion of tail position on gun dogs. :lol:

I'm just haven fun.. no offense intented.

GSP4619

Post by GSP4619 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:20 pm

No comment LOL 8) This seems like a group that can take some fun so your in the clear I think :twisted:

rschuster54303`

Post by rschuster54303` » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:01 pm

Tom,

And all this time I thought Gordons had rudders not tails go figure :D

Samie come into season yet?

Rob

NDBDHunter

Post by NDBDHunter » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:04 pm

sdgord
When you say you break your dogs away from birds, do you mean wild birds? Here's what I'm doing....I've taken my dog off wild birds and have been breaking her on pigeons. When she's good with them, in the controlled situation, I'll put her down on wild birds again. Is that what you mean?

I have a litter coming too and I was wondering about running her while she's expecting.

sdgord

gordon setters

Post by sdgord » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:28 pm

Tom, we do the whoa training completely devoid of birds it is just training a command. No birds involved at all till the dog responds reliably to the whoa command. The way Joe explained it to me was that making corrections when on a bird would lead to blinking. And I believe he is correct. When the dog is reliable to the whoa command and you introduce birds and need to make the correction, the dog associates the correction with its refusal or poor performance in response to the whoa not the bird. If your bitch is in good condition before breeding keeping her in shape to run a 20 min or 30 min hunt test or trial should not be a problem. I always worry about the heat though, MH and SH typically run first so it usually cooler.SDGORD

Tallgrass

Post by Tallgrass » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:06 pm

vzkennels,
I read that Article too. It was a while back. Thanks

Rob,
She's in now. Did you have a trial this last weekend? If so, How did you do?

SDGord,
Okay.. I understand. I train whoa from early on. But don't use it around birds until she's starting to point. And then do as I mentioned above. During the breaking process do you shoot birds over your Gordons to keep them intense on point?

sdgord

gordon setter

Post by sdgord » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:26 am

Tom, during the breaking process they dont get as many birds as you would give a pup chances at. When they have proven themselves to be steady we give them lots of chances at birds. Shoot lots of pigeons and some quail for them. Seem if you give them too many birds all at once they tend to forget their manners. But each dog is different. Tink had a problem blinking birds a year ago or so, which is why I took her to Joe Cain, after his work with Annie I thought she needed a change in training routine. And his method worked very well. Tink gives the impression of being soft but beneath it all she is very strong willed and simply lives for birds. One of my buddies had never seen Tink outside of a hunting situation and thought she was an indifferent cold little dog. We took her for some hormone testing and he couldnt get away from her wanting to be petted. Their were no birds involved so she could just relax and be a dog.SDGORD

Tallgrass

Post by Tallgrass » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:14 pm

That "indifference" or "aloffness" (Sp?) in the Gordons is something I like. To me it's one of the reasons I like and stay with Gordons. I don't like it when a dog is overly effectionate. For me "overly" maybe defined differently than you define it. But a very affectionate dog drives my insane.

sdgord

gordons

Post by sdgord » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:52 am

Tom, my wife has tried to turn the Gordons into lap dogs. They will tolerate only so much attention then go into their crates. As if to say ok that is quite enough. Tink could go weeks without being fawned over, Annie requires just a bit more attention. What I do like about both their personalities is that they are friendly to anyone and not as aloof as some. SDGORD

Coach529

Post by Coach529 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:05 pm

Here is my girl Harley!!

crittercontrol

Post by crittercontrol » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:14 pm

Coach, thats a good lookin' dog right there!

always,

caleb

Coach529

Post by Coach529 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:30 pm

crittercontrol wrote:Coach, thats a good lookin' dog right there!

always,

caleb
Thanks!!