I need a tracking collar for field trials. Recommendations?

Crl

I need a tracking collar for field trials. Recommendations?

Post by Crl » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:54 pm

I am looking to buy a tracking collar system for this years field trial season. I have a balls to the wall All Age dog that every once and again gets lost. What is a good model for a guy that trials on a shoe string budget.

crl

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:26 pm

Everyone I have talked to says Tracker is the only way to go.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:44 pm

Clark

Tracker makes nice units, check with Piechowski as he is set up as a dealer.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:00 pm

The Tracker is a nice unit. Compact. I am able to use it on my belt when hunting, not to find the dog, but because it has a point tone that eminates from the receiver rather than the collar on the dog, and I can't hear beepers very far. I would have to say, though, from using it to locate a few dogs in training, that it takes some practice, and is only accurate on a moving dog in a general way i.e. you will know the dog went North, not East.

The Wildlife Materials unit, which is very big and cumbersome, is more accurate if what you are looking for is to find a lost, young, big running trial dog. You definitely need a horse and a scabbard to carry it, and it would not be very useful outside of that context, because of the size. I don't have that one, but have seen them in use at trials.

larue

Post by larue » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:02 pm

I use the f&l brand,it was recomended by dan hoke to me.
I was able to receive it on a thursday,put it on my dog on sunday at the nagd walking championship and I was able to use it to walk right up to him standing on point,long after time was called.
I now use it to train with,and I can actually tell when a dog is
not moveing,and it tells me as soon as he moves his head.
I can use it and tell you which way my dog is running,and if he is going away,or getting closer.
Unlike the tracker,you will not get a 180 degree signal.
I am now useing it to correct a dog while he is out of sight,in a setup situation,once he points,if he moves his head he gets corrected.
The negative is the size of the reciever it is large much like the
wildlife,but it is this size that allows it to be accurate.
I ride with my reciever on,if I get within 100 yards of my dog,it will start to make noise,even while folded up and in its case.
I bought the three dog reciever with one collar,around 550 if I remember right,a buddy has the tracker classic,he is going to get one like mine,as he cannot use the tracker as I can use my f&l.
I will be happy to show you mine,if you are at any of the trials I will be at,such as min the 15th,or pine island,in may.

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:07 pm

Larue

It's Friday the 14th and Saturday the 15th.

I'm not familiar with that brand but look forward to seeing it.

rschuster54303`

Post by rschuster54303` » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:33 am

Larue's tracker works nicly but I had to laugh everytime he handed it to a judge, they always made a comment because it is quite large. :oops:

Chris i don't know if Dennis will respond until some time next week I believe he is out in Washinton judging a trial.

Thanks for the topic CRl as I am in the market for a tracking unit as well....I must say I like what I have seen from the Tracker units.

Regards,

Rob

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:43 am

Rob

I spoke with Dennis last night. He flies out to Washington today and gets back I think next Wednesday. Turns around and drives out this way on Thursday for the Walking Trial.

Busy man I'd say.

gunner

Post by gunner » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:12 am

The Marshall Telemetry unit is considered the most accurate and finest made tracking unit in the world.

http://marshallradio.com/

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:08 am

that marshall is a good unit from what i am told. should have mentioned that. what you will find, is that the guys who use them on young big running dogs in country that is big and tough to find a dog in, use those bigger units like the marshall. i have the tracker, more compact, have not lost a dog yet. but have been within a hundred yards of one standing on point and had a hard time getting the unit to focus in on the exact location. lots of fiddling with the gain control and trying again. did finally find the dog buried deep in some cover, maybe a skills and practice issue.