Quail Recall Funnel

PAHunter

Quail Recall Funnel

Post by PAHunter » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:43 am

What is the best dimentions for a bobwhite quail recall funnel?

entry 6inch down to three inch over a span around 1 ft long?

thanks,
josh

Higgins

Post by Higgins » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:34 am

Josh,

Thats the size I use and it works well. Also, it needs to be at an angle so the small end ends up higher off the ground than the big end. The birds need to drop in. Keeps the ones inside from being able to get out.

Brad Higgins

PAHunter

Post by PAHunter » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:11 pm

Thanks Brad. Just wanted to make sure, it's a great high school metal shop project, my students really enjoy making these.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:31 pm

:D

Do you get to keep the end projects, or do the students take them home?
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

bobhenke

Post by bobhenke » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:24 pm

Also, if you are making it yourself, make sure you keep the bottom of the outside of the funnel close to the ground. I made my first one on a wood frame, had the funnel above the 3/4 inch side slat, and had pretty poor success getting the brids to go in. Some of the males would do it but none of the females ever made it. I had to put a board on the ground outside the trap to give them a step up to the funnel.

I also started with a 6:3 funnel but found it let juvenile possums in as well. In the morning I would have one possum and no quail in the box. Cut the funel down to 5:3 and that stopped the problem.

PAHunter

Post by PAHunter » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:07 am

Ayres

I bought the materials and my students built my pigeon loft, pigeon trap, training table, and dog house, and the are all very well made. I have alot of young hunters in class, they just eat this stuff up (and the donuts that say job well done!!) Also alot of my students don't have fathers at home, and building these projectes is a great spring board for introducing a kid to hunting!

Josh