Question for the MODS and the members

kbshorthairs

Question for the MODS and the members

Post by kbshorthairs » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:20 pm

I think it is cool that we have this forum and can post when we have things for sale, but I have a question for the mods. Is it considered cool for businesses to start several threads, pretending to be regular members, hawking their products? There has been a recent abundance of threads about mail order quail that have obviously been started and then responded to by the same people. No real harm I guess, just sort of spammish IMO.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Question for the MODS

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:30 pm

Think you are right and we have noticed and talked about it but have kind of drug our feet as to where to set the line on such things. Suggested we don't allow for sale posts of any kind from anyone with less than 10 or 20 posts. That way the people would have to be active members instead of just using us as a billboard. The other side is what if someone is selling something you want so why should we not allow them to post it.

What do you all think? I know where I am at on it but would like to see what all of you think as it effects all of us.
I'm going to change the title a little so we get as many people 's opinion as possible.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

kbshorthairs

Re: Question for the MODS and the members

Post by kbshorthairs » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:37 pm

Ezzy, I guess it could be like every other rule or law. The people that break rules and laws aren't going to pay attention to more rules and laws. I wouldn't mind if they posted in the for sale section, but why in the world post the same thing over and over......or set up multiple accounts to give the appearance of someone that is interested and asking questions?
The first post caught my eye.....I read it......and filed it back in my mind somewhere just in case........then they just kept popping up.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:47 pm

There aren't paid vendors here (that I know of at least...)

Most forums seem to not allow any business to sell stuff that's part of the normal course of business to sell stuff in the classifieds, as it is taking from the vendors.

This sounds a little different, but there should still be a right/wrong way. Maybe a subforum for small business ventures?

I'm just thinking I don't see a problem for it, as long as they aren't trying to be sneaky.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

PointingQuail

Post by PointingQuail » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:08 pm

Hey guys,

I am new to the forum and my first post was about finding quail for sale. (Yesterday) I am very new to dog training and feel bad that I might have inadvertently contributed to the spamming. My 6 mo old lab, Charlie, and I were just interested in finding birds because the year has been so bad for tucson quail.(At least my spots have been). So far everyone on the forum has been great. My opinion about the vendors selling the quail is that it might end up being very annoying to filter through multiple posts about sales when al you really want is to learn about and contribute to gun dog training. In my case only learn. I wonder if there is a way to tie the login names to the bandwith source so only one household or business could have one login name.

PQ

kbshorthairs

Post by kbshorthairs » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:15 pm

say huh? :D

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:31 pm

kbshorthairs wrote:I think it is cool that we have this forum and can post when we have things for sale, but I have a question for the mods. Is it considered cool for businesses to start several threads, pretending to be regular members, hawking their products? There has been a recent abundance of threads about mail order quail that have obviously been started and then responded to by the same people. No real harm I guess, just sort of spammish IMO.
As a Moderator on several other Boards I can tell you that what you describe is not acceptable on any of them.

1. There are specific forums on the Board(s) where people are allowed to post services or items for sale. However, they may not cross post in other areas of the Board or post to regular threads hawking their wares. First instance gets a warning. Then it's a ban.

2. Creating multiple accounts (sock puppets) is a HUGE no-no and is an automatic ban on any Board I know or Moderate. And don't think you can hide as a sock puppet: IP addresses don't lie.

3. Spamming is an automatic ban.

4. PMing people with commercial ads is also an automatic ban.

Need I say more?
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:20 pm

SubMariner wrote:
kbshorthairs wrote:I think it is cool that we have this forum and can post when we have things for sale, but I have a question for the mods. Is it considered cool for businesses to start several threads, pretending to be regular members, hawking their products? There has been a recent abundance of threads about mail order quail that have obviously been started and then responded to by the same people. No real harm I guess, just sort of spammish IMO.
As a Moderator on several other Boards I can tell you that what you describe is not acceptable on any of them.

1. There are specific forums on the Board(s) where people are allowed to post services or items for sale. However, they may not cross post in other areas of the Board or post to regular threads hawking their wares. First instance gets a warning. Then it's a ban.

2. Creating multiple accounts (sock puppets) is a HUGE no-no and is an automatic ban on any Board I know or Moderate. And don't think you can hide as a sock puppet: IP addresses don't lie.

Need I say more?
Yes you do! Not sure what the meaning of your post is? Are you saying it is good or bad or are you just telling us what some boards do. I think by and large what you posted is what we do here but should we or is it not a problem?

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:15 am

SubMariner wrote:

Need I say more?
Yep that is about how it is ...Have some of the same type policies on some other boards I help mod on also...

How about the ones that start many accounts so they can post to themselves
One board we had this one person she would post an ad for her pups then reply on how great they were..as you say IP's can give a lot away LMAO
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:36 am

ezzy333 wrote:
SubMariner wrote:

Need I say more?
Yes you do! Not sure what the meaning of your post is? Are you saying it is good or bad or are you just telling us what some boards do. I think by and large what you posted is what we do here but should we or is it not a problem?

Ezzy
Pretty sure he was just saying there are some things that are considered inappropriate and grounds for banning on pretty much any forum.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:08 am

KNINEBIRDDOG... i am amazed about the woman you said had posted pups for sale then posted replies acting as other people about how good her pups were...what the heck is the point of her or anyone else doing that...did she never sell a pup to an actual person before?..and what if people contact her for references is she going to act as different people!..i hope if that stuff goes on here in this forum the MODS at least pm these people to let them know the gig is up so people looking for a good quality pup and an honest breeder dont get shafted :evil: ..have you MODS filtered threw people on here doing that?......ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:53 am

GUNDOGS wrote:KNINEBIRDDOG... i am amazed about the woman you said had posted pups for sale then posted replies acting as other people about how good her pups were...what the heck is the point of her or anyone else doing that...did she never sell a pup to an actual person before?..and what if people contact her for references is she going to act as different people!..i hope if that stuff goes on here in this forum the MODS at least pm these people to let them know the gig is up so people looking for a good quality pup and an honest breeder dont get shafted :evil: ..have you MODS filtered threw people on here doing that?......ruth
That doesn't go on here as it has been against our policy since day one that people can not have two identities on this board. They are just talking about some other loosly run boards. We haven't had that problem or a lot of others because of th policies Grany originally put in place plus the input from all of us.

Ezzy

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:55 am

ezzy333 wrote:We haven't had that problem or a lot of others because of th policies Grany originally put in place plus the input from all of us.
Ezzy
For the record, I'm happy with the policies Grany put in, Ezzy. :lol:

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:00 am

ezzy333 wrote:
GUNDOGS wrote:KNINEBIRDDOG... i am amazed about the woman you said had posted pups for sale then posted replies acting as other people about how good her pups were...what the heck is the point of her or anyone else doing that...did she never sell a pup to an actual person before?..and what if people contact her for references is she going to act as different people!..i hope if that stuff goes on here in this forum the MODS at least pm these people to let them know the gig is up so people looking for a good quality pup and an honest breeder dont get shafted :evil: ..have you MODS filtered threw people on here doing that?......ruth
That doesn't go on here as it has been against our policy since day one that people can not have two identities on this board. They are just talking about some other loosly run boards. We haven't had that problem or a lot of others because of th policies Grany originally put in place plus the input from all of us.

Ezzy
Good to know since my husband and I are new here..:D ...thanks for the reply ezzy!!......ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:58 am

We try to keep it to a minimum, but we try to be fair and err on the side of being welcoming. If you spot something, please do not hesitate to PM us.

Greg J.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:04 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
SubMariner wrote:

Need I say more?

Ezzy
Ezzy, what I'm saying is that people who establish more than one identity on a board rarely do so for legitimate purposes. Oh, occasionally there's someone who needs to create another account because they are being stalked, harassed, etc. But that's rare. And then the "old" identity gets abandoned.

However, sock puppets are NEVER good. It's especially heinous when they create a false discussion between their various personas; usually it's a con to try to establish a "good reputation" to sell themselves or their product.

And "for sales": one forum ONLY.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

bobeyerite13

Post by bobeyerite13 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:57 pm

I think seeing as how this board has a whole section for buying and selling. NO POSTS should be allowed for buying and selling on the main board. Keep it confined to the section.............Bob