COULD THIS BE CONSIDERED AN ADDICTION?

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

COULD THIS BE CONSIDERED AN ADDICTION?

Post by GUNDOGS » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:21 pm

...i never even new what a bird dog was or hunting really for that matter until i met my husband 14 years ago and he had been into hunting waterfowl and upland birds for about 6 years before that ...weve been hunting with friends and their dogs...on game preserves with their dogs and bought a shorthair of our own about 8 years ago and i was amazed at the excitement i felt watching these dogs do what comes so natural to them even at a month old...weve been looking on the internet and in every pointing dog book there is for almost a year trying to find that certain pup/breeder we are confident in and totally impressed with...we have gone to cabelas and gander mountain to buy new training equip, wings, crate ect and its really all we talk about to the point we drive our kids crazy :lol: ..my question is do any of you remember who got you your first bird dog or took you on your first hunt and does this feeling ever get "old" so to speak to all you vets out there who have done it for years and years?...like do you still get excited when a new pups comin or do you have a kennel/house full of dogs and want more? ...i think this could be considered an addiction.. :twisted: .......ruth
GUNDOGS SHORTCREEK IRON HORSE (HARLEY)

Redfishkilla

Re: COULD THIS BE CONSIDERED AN ADDICTION?

Post by Redfishkilla » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:43 pm

I feel like the only time I'm doing what God put me here to do is when I'm hunting with my dogs or fishing. Hunting with dogs is similar to stalking fish in the flats; “A Perpetual Series of Occasions of Hope” is how I like to describe them both. I really did try to make myself sick of fishing when I was younger, I couldn’t do it. If I really got after em one day I kept thinking I wouldn’t be that mad at em the next day but I’d wake up knowing where the fish were and couldn’t take it, I was out the door. Same jig with hunting with a bird dog, no matter how much you get, you want more, if you find and kill some birds, it doesn’t satisfy you except for maybe that afternoon. The next day you’re ready to go. I think the more success you have the more addicted you become. The more solid points you see the more you want to see. If I could just figure out how to get around the whole work thing.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:04 pm

Nice pic & nice story Howie.You never forget the first one that started the addiction even though you probably have owned better dogs since.
The thoughts of my first can bring tears to my eyes but they are tears of joy from the memories I have of her. :D

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:58 pm

GUNDOGS wrote:my question is do any of you remember who got you your first bird dog or took you on your first hunt
I would love to answer this post. The man responsible for my addiction to birddogs is one of my best friends and loyal hunting buddy "birddogger" (Charlie). Like many of you, I grew up hunting at a young age. I had the best of both world's deer and squirrel hunting with my grandpa Nick and running hounds with my grandpa Gabe. We hunted rabbits with his competion beagles and ran fox and yotes with his Walker hounds. We also did a fair share of coon hunting before the fox and yotes came into play. That being said, nothing has been as exciting to me as birdhunting over class birddogs and I have never been the same since the day Charlie and his GSP Lucky took me birdhunting and that was the first and last time I went birdhunting without having my own dog. Like most folks on here I went through a couple flopps before I got my first high caliber birddog and have'nt looked back since. The funny thing is before Chalie took me birdhunting I was just getting ready to get into competition coon hunting. BTW, that went 100% out the door. I have ZERO interest in doing anything else. I have to force myself to bow hunt with my 13yr old boy who is DEER CRAZY. I have went on long enough and I have and will continue to enjoy the rest of your story's and experiences.

I'm Ron and I'm an ADDICT
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:04 pm

I remember my first bird hunt, I was 7 or 8 years old with my Papaw (who passed away 3 years ago) my uncle, my dad, and my brother. We hunted behind Papaws pointer Bob. I had my Red Rider that I had just got for Christmas. We got into 4 or 5 covies that day. Later on in my teens I hunted over a pointer female my uncle owned named Reba (some of you may know her better as Island Grove Elegance, mother of Ch Island Grove Brute and Ch Island Grove Scoundrel). And less than an hour ago I was running off my 4wheeler, two pointers of my own, Jewel and Sugar. Jewel pointed, Sugar backed, and I flushed a covey of 9 bobwhites. The grin on my face then is as big as it was 24 years ago behind Bob when I saw my first flush of bobwhites.

I live in an area in southern Illinois were I see 150 class deer all day long, but I would rather bird hunt and if I am lucky see two coveys in a day.

My name is Justin and I too am an ADDICT!!!

scmelik

Post by scmelik » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:52 pm

There are two first that I remember in my dog loving life. Shooting a pheasant over my "first" dog and watching MY dog making her first retrieve.

I grew up in a upland hunting house, so it was not only expected for me be an upland hunter but also so ingrained in my blood that I couldn't help but become one. I started tagging along with my dad as soon as I was big enough to pick my feet up over the grass and walk next to him, and this was my first encounter with hunting dogs although I use that term lightly. Those first dogs I got to see work were nothing but freaks of nature owned by my dad and my godfather, taught by each encounter they had with birds and spending thousands of hours in the field during their life. They were not trained at all other than to "come" and possibly "sit". When I was about 8 we got our first "real" dog, an english setter, that we actually spent some serious time on. My dad and I worked that dog as best we could following Delmar Smiths book and he was a heck of a dog, running wide open at 500 yards that dog would lock up when my dad hit the whistle and wouldn't move a muscle until we got to him and released him. Unfortunately when he came into his prime the bird hunting habitat in Iowa pretty much disappeared and so did the bird numbers so when he went out all he thought he was doing was running around. When I was 12 I finally got to carry a loaded shotgun and we were out one Saturday in early November, it was one of those days that was the conditions just screamed "bird hunting'. It was cool and crisp, the colors of fall were prevalent and the farms were working hard in the field. We went to my uncles place to hunt what was left of his draw we had made the long walk to the end of the draw and my dad left me walk along the outside of the draw. About halfway down our setter "K" locked up HARD on point right on the edge of the draw. I remember looking at him with his high tail and low head with his laser eyes fixed on one spot, and thinking "Oh my god that is unbelievable, one of the prettiest sites I had ever seen and to this day have ever seen. I just stood and watched him every muscle in his body straining he never twitched, heck I don't think he ever took a breath. Dad told me that the bird was mine and that he would walk in a flush the bird, I wasn't a very good shot at that point and I didn't have much confidence in my abilities to shoot, but all I could think was that I had to kill this bird, not for me but for him and all the hardwork that we had done to get him to that point. I can still remember the explosion coming out of the grass and the patented cackle of that bird when he rose out of the grass, I took my time and got a bead on the bird and with one shot I brought him down. "K" ran out picked up the bird and brought him right to me and looked at me with the eyes that he had almost looking at me like he had done it just for me. That was my first bird that I had ever shot over him and one of the lasts unfortunately he passed about ten years ago but the memory remains frozen in my mind like it happened yesterday.

The second first was MY first dog, a chocolate lab named Brittney. The year prior I was chasing down a crippled mallard across a slough at the end of November, I had to stop three times to catch my breath and strip off layers of clothing because I was sweating so bad. It was that instant halfway across the slough that I decided that enough was enough and I was not chasing birds ever again. That winter I bought a dog, just a cheap 150 dollar dog out of the paper. As I began her training I was drawn to hunt test and field trials after meeting a guy that ran them and saw a dog run a blind. After that encounter I was determined that I wanted my dog to do that. Brittney and I worked out tails off training all summer long and when duck season finally arrived that fall I was never more excited for a hunting trip. That morning we headed out to the blind with Brittney in tow and the first flock of mallards that come into the decoys she was a wreck, straining at the lead, didn't want to sit, forgot all the training that we worked on all summer, right up until my buddy shot. Then she went onto auto pilot and did everything right. The bird landed across the little slough that we were hunting and I gave her a second to let her get a good look at the bird on the water. I remember thinking "alright little girl, this is what we have worked so hard for all summer, lets see what you can do." "Brittney" and off she went like she was shot out of a rocket across the slough to the bird. The feeling I got as she came back with that bird in her mouth gave me so much pride that I got slightly teary eyed, she came back to heel, sat down and looked up at me with a "this is for you boss, did I do good". I knelt down put my arm around her, gave her a big kiss and let her hold her duck for a bit just stroking her head and the pride welled up inside. After that day her and I were inseparable, she was my best friend and my best hunting buddy. Unfortunately she was taken from me entirely to early in life and a year ago this past Christmas I lost her to kidney failure at 5 years old but she still remains my best friend.

Those two dogs not only started my love for bird dogs but also my passion for them and training. Right now I am dog-less but here in a few months the journey will start again with another pup, this time a setter. There is something about the joy of watching a dog mature from a reckless puppy to a mature dog taking in all the training like a sponge, weaseling their way into your heart and making a connection like few out there. I can't wait!!!!
Scott

no dogs currently, looking for a new pup probably a setter.

Forget about the ending and enjoy the story that takes you to the ending

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:42 am

I am so glad i posted this thread..i have always liked hearing from people and their first memories on birds and dogs but these stories so far are absolutely priceless...keep them coming its great to know where it all began for everyone...i also see the bond between a hunter and his/her bird dog is like no other, in a class of its own really.... :!: :!: :!:

Bowbender

Post by Bowbender » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:31 am

It certainly could be just like money or anything else that's out there that will occupy our time and energy. I've done the deer, fish, and even the hockey thing eh. Be on the best hockey teams, pursue the biggest bucks, and catch more/bigger fish. They inevitably take up your time/focus and something will have to be sacrificied. Someone once said where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. It's so true and I, like you am going through the same process of finding a bird dog pup after owning/training labs for several years. I really have to keep my energy in check so as not to neglect my family. Hopefully the family can be involved in the process with the new addition. Someone once told me did you ever hear someone say on their death bed they wished they could have gotten one more big buck, caught more fish, made more money, etc.? I know this is more of a sober post but have fun in the process and hopefully you can get the kids involved too since they're only young once.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:36 am

so true BOWBENDER...and i have 5 kids..all girls i might add, hense my husbands grey hair :lol: ...yes this search for a GSP pup has been a family thing for sure...our oldest has moved out shes in college..the next older 2 are more into boys than breathing but do give us some input now and then lol...and the younger 2 are all in!!..my one daughter and i volunteer every sat transporting rescue dogs from windsor to chatham or to london ontario and its quite the bonding time for us :D (way too many labs in rescues btw)...i have found that alot of things, not just hunting and bird dogs are worthwhile if you have the whole fam to share it with!! but i do enjoy the alone time with hubby and the dogs very much and we are definitely addicts but in a good way .. :mrgreen: ....ruth

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:05 pm

Gundogs,
Ruth unlike many others I was born into a Grouse hunting family with a Ryman Setter that slept at the foot of my crib and later my bed, in my Great Grandparents home on West Main St in Galeton, Pa where I was born in the late 40's.
Don't remember ever not having a Grouse dog as my constant companion, the upland shooting life GBE wrote about, I actually grew up in. Its more than an additction,
it a way of life. 6 of George Rymans female gun dogs were housed at my Great grandparents home because distemper in those days wiped out complete kennels.
I learned everything I could about Ryman Setters, learned to hunt behind my Grandfathers prize female, shooting my 1st Woodcock & Grouse at age 10 under my Grandfathers watchful eye. In my home today there are 6 dogs, wonder why! Two Ryman Setters, 2 Gordon Setters, 1 Small Munsterlander and 1 Weimar.
We train Grouse dogs and have a beautiful log cabin in the woods not far from where I was born, I have been Grouse hunting more than 50 years now, don't know about addiction, but do know about my upland shooting life.
RGD/Dave

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:42 pm

RYMANGUNDOG..what memories you must have!!..i bet i could sit and listen to your stories and look through your photos all day long..im always willing to learn new things and i find other peoples pasts fascinating..thanks for sharing and anytime you can post pictures of past dogs youve had we would all enjoy them :D ...ruth

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:17 pm

I remember my first experience with bird dogs (sorry not labs, had those, but pointing dogs) when I was 16 I had been chasing woodcock around with no dog (that is sport). Then a friend of my brothers shows up with a brit I said what is that thing for? Well little did I know, she was good. I was amazed at how she did what she did. I didnt get a dog at the time not sure why. I waited till I moved to upstate NY got a shorthair never looked back I learned about pointing dogs and loved it. To this day a dog slamming point sends chills up my spine. Thousands of points have just flashed through my mind. Now I hunt those same grounds I use to stomp around on and I can say I have shot woodcock underneath the same old live oak (thats right a small grove with a jungle underneath) where I shot my first bird over a pointing dog but with dogs I have trained. Dogs have been my best friends, companions, helped me through depression and taught me what unconditional love is. If only I could be more like my dog.

I love me some bird dogs!!
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:33 pm

northern cajun wrote:I remember my first experience with bird dogs (sorry not labs, had those, but pointing dogs) when I was 16 I had been chasing woodcock around with no dog (that is sport). Then a friend of my brothers shows up with a brit I said what is that thing for? Well little did I know, she was good. I was amazed at how she did what she did. I didnt get a dog at the time not sure why. I waited till I moved to upstate NY got a shorthair never looked back I learned about pointing dogs and loved it. To this day a dog slamming point sends chills up my spine. Thousands of points have just flashed through my mind. Now I hunt those same grounds I use to stomp around on and I can say I have shot woodcock underneath the same old live oak (thats right a small grove with a jungle underneath) where I shot my first bird over a pointing dog but with dogs I have trained. Dogs have been my best friends, companions, helped me through depression and taught me what unconditional love is. If only I could be more like my dog.

I love me some bird dogs!!
i see why you get chills up your spine NORTHERN CAJUN your pic of that shorthair says it all !!..dogs are definitely better friends than most people..it reminds me of what my husband brian always says "the more im around people the more i love my dog" :twisted: .....ruth

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:24 pm

This is a great post, brings back a lot of good memories. Always had bird dogs around when i was young, mostly brits. Started walking with dad while hunting when i was 5 years old, had to have my own dog by the time i was seven, luckily dad was to breed one of his brits and months later i had Sandy, unfortunately i was crushed a couple years later when she was stolen. Two months before she disappeared she had a litter of pups, dad couldn't keep me from keeping one and i now had Moe. Moe had no formal training, just a lot of time in the field, what a great pheasant and quail dog, would of loved to had him when i was older and understood a little about training. Before he got too old we bred him to one of my dads females, i got my current brit Buck from that litter, it didn't get much better than hunting behind the first dog that i had trained. I then got into waterfowl hunting and later got my first lab Moose, what a killer combo they were. From the first hunt almost fifteen years ago with Buck to the most recent few things excite me as much as hunting with my dogs. I am just excited about the upcoming weekend pheasant hunting, Buck doesn't get around too good anymore, but we'll do what he can, if it takes sitting on a fenceline all weekend waiting on a prairie chicken, that is what we'll do, can't imagine not having him with me.
Buck at 1 years old
buck.jpg
A good day towards the end of his years
moose sleepin with pheasant.jpg
Buck last November at 14 years
buck opening day.jpg
, 1 point, 1 retrieve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:33 pm

Wow, that is one intense point by Buck!!!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:14 am

JARBO03...Did you breed buck so you could have one of his pups?...that would be great if you do have a pup from buck since you have had that line all the way down from your dog sandy..thanks for sharing the pics :D .....ruth

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:57 am

Unfortunately i did not breed him, he is the last of that bloodline in the family. I had him neutered when i got my lab, was young and didn't know enough about training to handle two alpha male dogs. My dad raised dogs from three generations before Sandy, that bloodline was greatt, wish we wouldn't have let it go. My dad now has two female liver brits, that he wants me to take a pup from, but i'm heading in a different direction, pick up my WPG pup in two weeks. Sticking to only one dog for right now, having to leave Buck behind while i took Moose duck hunting was heartbreaking, don't want to see that look in a dogs eyes again.
Charlie, there's nothing better than the glaze of a dogs eye when the bird is pinned, still sends shivers down my spine, after looking at this pic again, i still wish his tail had of been a little longer

DougB

Post by DougB » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:32 am

Not an addiction. I can quit when ever I want to. Why would I want to quit? I need to get another dog is all. Piper is 10. I need to get and train another dog. It is not an addiction. I've got a line on some good litters. I know I can quit when ever I want. I've got enough money hidden in my boots to get a pup.
Why own a dog? There's a danger you know,

You can't own just one, for the craving will grow.

There's no doubt they're addictive, wherein lies the danger.

While living with lots, you'll grow poorer and stranger.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:23 am

DougB wrote:Not an addiction. I can quit when ever I want to. Why would I want to quit? I need to get another dog is all. Piper is 10. I need to get and train another dog. It is not an addiction. I've got a line on some good litters. I know I can quit when ever I want. I've got enough money hidden in my boots to get a pup.
The first step in recovery from an addiction is admitting you have an addiction DOUGB.. :lol: ..hiding money in your boot is a good idea i better check my husbands boots :twisted: ....ruth

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:21 pm

Yep going hunt some flooeded timber in AM then make a woodcock hunt after then some squirrel and snipe.

Today was fur day.

With that said we got 3 squirrels, two coons today, love them GSPs they can do it all. She can diffidently take a fox or yote out clean!

I am a Quaddict!! For ducks and just plain old Addict for upland birds.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

NORTHERN CAJUN

Ryman Gun Dog

Post by Ryman Gun Dog » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:53 am

Northern Cajun,
As I said before some time when you are up around Itheca you are invited to spend some time in Potter/Tioga which is not far from Itheca, NY.
Bring your dog along and do some Grouse hunting with us, we will addict you to our mountain way of life, we even have a few Woodcock so you will feel
right at home with your upland gunning. Glad you like your GSP and are having fun hunting her.
RGD/Dave

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:55 am

Hello Ryman,

May take you up on that, I have chase a few Grouse around but always willing to learn from someone more experienced!

Thanks for the offer.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

NORTHERN CAJUN

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:59 am

10 more days until pup comes home!!!..Seriously cannot wait..sleepless nights, poop/pee cleaning off the floor, all the good stuff :lol: :lol: ..i noticed alot of members are expecting new additions to the family :mrgreen: ..geez my blood pressure cant take much more of this anticipation!!..IM RUTH AND IM AN ADDICT :twisted:

bossman

Post by bossman » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:34 pm

Ruth...First of all, congratulations for sharing your "addiction" or passion with your husband. My wife also share's my passion and is my best friend and hunting partner as well. (Will try to post a picture of her driving our "hunting rig" on another thread later). That being said, we've had bird dog's for about 35 years. Remember every one, how we got started, who introduced us to the "sport" and have great memories of the entire 35 year "trip" ( been blessed with a couple of field champions, breed a Ntl All Age Champion and all the dog's were hunting partners and part of the family). I would say that the "anticipation" of a new pup never goes away. In fact, I would say that as I age, the anticipation becomes greater. Each new pup brings with it the opportunity of new experience's, new friends...new memories. Maybe, just maybe.. this "addiction" of our's also keep's us young and active..(Well, don't want to get too philosophical). Congratulations on your new addition. I hope that feeling never changes.. Hey, RonR, I've alway's had a feeling that birddogger has had a positive influence on many..Thanks for sharing your comment.

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:10 pm

bossman wrote:Ruth...First of all, congratulations for sharing your "addiction" or passion with your husband. My wife also share's my passion and is my best friend and hunting partner as well. (Will try to post a picture of her driving our "hunting rig" on another thread later). That being said, we've had bird dog's for about 35 years. Remember every one, how we got started, who introduced us to the "sport" and have great memories of the entire 35 year "trip" ( been blessed with a couple of field champions, breed a Ntl All Age Champion and all the dog's were hunting partners and part of the family). I would say that the "anticipation" of a new pup never goes away. In fact, I would say that as I age, the anticipation becomes greater. Each new pup brings with it the opportunity of new experience's, new friends...new memories. Maybe, just maybe.. this "addiction" of our's also keep's us young and active..(Well, don't want to get too philosophical). Congratulations on your new addition. I hope that feeling never changes.. Hey, RonR, I've alway's had a feeling that birddogger has had a positive influence on many..Thanks for sharing your comment.
Thanks bossman..i hope in 35 years we are still going on this journey..i have met the best people there are because of hunting and dogs..i love the freedom of bein out in the middle of nowhere with just nature, the dogs, and my husband (some birds dont hurt either) :D ..but even if we dont get birds at the end of the day its still a great day!!..ruth

GUNDOGS
GDF Junkie

Post by GUNDOGS » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:10 am

The other day in michigan we went for a hunt and to shoot some skeet..We met an older gentleman from kentucky and he had 3 dogs(2 shorthairs and 1 english pointer)..1 of his shorthairs was 12 years old and looked to be older(buck was his name) the other 2 were about a year old..buck walked slow, was grey in the face and wagged his stub with such excitement but seemed to be so tired..i asked the man (who later i got to know as Carl) what makes him bring buck hunting if he is so tired, stiff and didnt seem as though he would be able to keep up with the 2 young dogs he had brought with him..he smiled, covered bucks ears and said "dont tell him he's old he thinks hes a young pup when he hits that field, so the way i figure it is if i keep him in the field he'll live forever".....ruth