Disadvantage of keeping a dog inside.

Birddogz

Disadvantage of keeping a dog inside.

Post by Birddogz » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:37 pm

I have always kept my dogs inside, and think there are more advantages than disadvantages in the long run. This being said, there are some disadvantages. Mainly coat/weather acclimation. We had like 14 days with double digit below zero lows a while back. Then we got 5 days of 25 for a high and 15 for a low. I didn't even wear a jacket. It seemed like spring time. :D Now, next week is going to see -25 temps again. BURRRRR! My point is, if I can get acclimated like that, how much does it affect dogs? There is no doubt that a dog that sleeps inside, is not as hardy as one that is outside. I wonder if this is why I want a thicker coat than some. Many say they hunt their EPs and GSPs in very cold weather with no problem. I have found that isn't the case. My friends that have EPs and GSPs that live inside get cold. Maybe this is why I like DDs, PPs, etc. for cold weather. Have any of you ever kept a dog outside, and then inside, and then seen a difference in weather toleration? Just curious what you guys think.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

displaced_texan

Re: Disadvantage of keeping a dog inside.

Post by displaced_texan » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:10 pm

We hunt indoor living EPs in weather as cold as we get in OK and they do just fine...
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

scmelik

Post by scmelik » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:25 pm

I am just south of you and my lab use to live in the house all but about 2 years of her life and she never seemed to have a problem in the cold and wet out duck hunting. I never really noticed any difference in her coat either except for the coloring in the summer she got quite a bit lighter colored in the summer than she did inside.
Scott

no dogs currently, looking for a new pup probably a setter.

Forget about the ending and enjoy the story that takes you to the ending

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:26 pm

We hunt indoor living EPs in weather as cold as we get in OK and they do just fine...
OK vs ND are you kidding? Sorry DT but you see lows 40 degrees warmer than ND highs...

That having been said I keep mine outside, but let em in at night for a little snuggle time. If it gets really cold for KS they get to sleep in the garage. All I can say is they sure get used to that real fast :lol: In ND keep em inside you're both better for it.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:31 pm

I have never had the problem. Maybe for a couple of reasons, one if it's that cold I am not going to be out in it either, But more importantly when it is that cold and snowy the poor birds are right on the edge trying to find a place to roost and to find enough feed to keep them warm. A single flush is enough to stress many of them enough that they never get back alive. Our birds need all the help we can give them in that kind of weather.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:34 pm

muddycreek wrote:
OK vs ND are you kidding? Sorry DT but you see lows 40 degrees warmer than ND highs...

That having been said I keep mine outside, but let em in at night for a little snuggle time. If it gets really cold for KS they get to sleep in the garage. All I can say is they sure get used to that real fast :lol: In ND keep em inside you're both better for it.
I'm just saying that highs in the teens they keep hunting fine. And living in OK they certainly aren't acclimated to cold.

It's not like KS is all that much colder than OK :D

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:43 pm

I think he means weather in ND is different than OK. Highs in the teens is down right balmy. Hunting in -10 with a wind chill of -40 is common in ND. The other day we had -56 wind chill. Our season is over thank God! :D My point is, ND really can get chilly in the late season.
Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Birddogz

Post by Birddogz » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:47 pm

scmelik wrote:I am just south of you and my lab use to live in the house all but about 2 years of her life and she never seemed to have a problem in the cold and wet out duck hunting. I never really noticed any difference in her coat either except for the coloring in the summer she got quite a bit lighter colored in the summer than she did inside.
Labs are the only dogs that don't seem to have a problem. I agree.

scmelik

Post by scmelik » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:47 pm

Birddogz wrote:I think he means weather in ND is different than OK. Highs in the teens is down right balmy. Hunting in -10 with a wind chill of -40 is common in ND. The other day we had -56 wind chill. Our season is over thank God! :D My point is, ND really can get chilly in the late season.

Bird,

my rule of thumb is anytime the temp (w/ wind chill or without) gets below 20 dogs come inside regardless. Thats just to cold to try and make them stay outside, they are not built for that like a husky or other sled dog would be.
Scott

no dogs currently, looking for a new pup probably a setter.

Forget about the ending and enjoy the story that takes you to the ending

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:56 pm

Birddogz wrote:I think he means weather in ND is different than OK. Highs in the teens is down right balmy. Hunting in -10 with a wind chill of -40 is common in ND. The other day we had -56 wind chill. Our season is over thank God! :D My point is, ND really can get chilly in the late season.
I just thought it was funny because he is in Kansas. Where we hunt is pretty much Kansas:D

I've been where it's really cold. There is a reason I keep my butt south!:D

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:59 pm

There is a big difference between dogs housed outside and inside for their ability to work in cold weather. My dogs live outside (except when it is REALLY cold) and when I bring them in for the evening they are ready to head back out after a couple of hours of panting from the heat.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:16 pm

displaced_texan wrote:We hunt indoor living EPs in weather as cold as we get in OK and they do just fine...
Me too. Never been an issue for me. Plus, My dogs that are kenneled outside together have a run leading into a heated den inside the garage. It never falls below 50 degrees regardless of how cold it gets outside. When I put up my new setup, every run will lead inside to a heated shelter. It takes far less feed to keep their weight on em when they are not shivvering away and burning energy to stay warm.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:57 pm

scmelik wrote: my rule of thumb is anytime the temp (w/ wind chill or without) gets below 20 dogs come inside regardless. Thats just to cold to try and make them stay outside, they are not built for that like a husky or other sled dog would be.
Did you forget the negative sign in front of that 20?

It is -23 Celsius here today with a wind chill of - 32 Celsius (that would be -10 F with wind chill of -25 F) and the dogs are playing in the exercise yard all day. They could stay in the dog house but it seems they don't want to.

A/C Guy

Not really

Post by A/C Guy » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:21 pm

I think it is more of an individual dog issue. Our dogs are inside dogs. Our female can handle the hottest of weather (115˚) in the summer, our male is panting when it is only 70˚ outside. Our female can handle the cold for an hour and a half as long as she stays dry. Our male goes swimming in 30˚ weather and loves it. Our male will hunt for several hours in 20˚ weather. Both Britts and about the same age. He came from Tequila Joker lines and she came from Sovereigns lines. He won't snuggle very long on the coach because he gets uncomfortably warm. She will snuggle even when you are hot and you want space to get cool.
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams.